Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Cultist Simulator: Behold Our End (Kickstarter by creator of Sunless Sea)  (Read 33263 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I too have been enjoying this game, the lore is as fun as you'd expect from Alexis and I'm finding the gameplay very addictive and one-more-turn (well, not turns exactly, but you know what I mean).

I've lost about 5 aspirants to Fascination getting out of control, 3 to Despair, and 3 to being arrested, but my current game has been going really well to the point I'm not sure I can lose, unless the game still has some curveballs to throw at me - I can generate and remove emotion cards easily enough that they rarely cause me problems now, and I'm summoning weird and wonderful things that easily kill the hunters that have come for me so far (whose bodies I then devour as part of my ascension path).  It seems like once you get a handle on how things are generated (and how to remove them) and get past the precarious early game, you mostly only lose to carelessness.

Spoiler: On Dread (click to show/hide)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile

I too have been enjoying this game, the lore is as fun as you'd expect from Alexis and I'm finding the gameplay very addictive and one-more-turn (well, not turns exactly, but you know what I mean).
<...>
Me too.

Came here to cry how i lost my BEST EVER cult with ~15 cultists and almost all languages (etc) to forgetting to pause and going to eat ;(

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does anybody else have a problem with save and exit... not actually saving? It seems to revert to the last autosave, or thereabouts. Several minutes, at least.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Came here to cry how i lost my BEST EVER cult with ~15 cultists and almost all languages (etc) to forgetting to pause and going to eat ;(
Ouch!  I'm not sure I could muster the enthusiasm to start a new game if that happened with my current best ever cult.

Was it a Despair loss?  I feel like it should have been a Despair loss.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

E: Ugh. I just realized that I burned like 8 passion and reason total on something that didn't require me to use any at all. Right now I am at 3 each (instead of like 7 each) after having used all the bookstore and auction house books. Will that dead end me later on in the game, or will I be fine due to being able to get more/not ever really needing more then that?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:43:58 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

A few notes on things people have mentioned.

Failbetter: This is not FB.  AK and Lottie left Failbetter to work on smaller, more experimental projects without risking the livelihood of others.

DLC: There's going to be a few (as well as free patches).  I seem to recall hearing the number 6 thrown around at some point, but AK has said it depends a lot on how much money the game brings in.

Dragging stacks: You can drag whole stacks by the number.

Dread/Fascination: The emergency is not when a token snatches up three and the the 'game ending' countdown begins.  The emergency is when a token snatches up one , deal with it ASAP (as a rule of thumb, deal with any threat ASAP).  The following are not exhaustive lists.

Spoiler: Contentment sources: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dreadsources: (click to show/hide)

E: Ugh. I just realized that I burned like 8 passion and reason total on something that didn't require me to use any at all. Right now I am at 3 each (instead of like 7 each) after having used all the bookstore and auction house books. Will that dead end me later on in the game, or will I be fine due to being able to get more/not ever really needing more then that?

You should be okay :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Something a friend of mine was confused about, so thought I would mention here: You do not need to use trappings of any sort to recruit a cultist. Please don't waste your cards.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After 24 hours of playing, on probably about my 15th attempt, I've managed a Sensation / Red Grail ascension victory.  That last final stretch was fiddly as hell, trying to get all the necessary components (most of which had limited lifespans) available at the same time whilst still fending off the hunters etc.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1002487882479800320

First word on upcoming patches/DLC.  Apparently the game has sold a lot better than expected too :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile

It's either me being wrong, or dev being somewhat of a liar don't actually having any goddamn windows XP or...  :-\ Steam sys. requirements say that this woorks on windows XP, but on launch game says that "bla bla InitializeCriticalSectionEx bla not found in DLL KERNEL32.dll". And well... from past expirience and some googling it's appears to be rock-solid sign that it will NOT work on windows XP (with exception of XCOM Enemy Within, somehow. And i don't remember which error it was in it).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:58:57 pm by MCreeper »

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile

Ouch!  I'm not sure I could muster the enthusiasm to start a new game if that happened with my current best ever cult.

Was it a Despair loss?  I feel like it should have been a Despair loss.
Nah had low money due to constant expeditions, starved to death :D

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Yeah the game has picked up way more traction than they anticipated. Friends I rarely chat to on steam are hitting me up asking how this it is.

Alexis tends to make polarizing games. Either people love the format coupled with the narrative, or they hate the grinding nature of his usual mechanics.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

My current guy has two hunters, which is like having one hunter but even worse.

I understand there's more than one way to beat a hunter, but I've never had anything work but sending someone with high Edge to kill them, and that only works sometimes.  Everything else just makes them fucking harder to kill.

Magnets pulling cards off non-magnet tokens is also really annoying.  Was getting ready to fail at killing a hunter with the Glory but the visions token popped up and took it so now I get a free notoriety instead.
Shoes...

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile

Nenjin, that is something that took me two whole playthroughs to understand, just through experimentation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm weird, but I've always taken a very different path to recruitment.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Being a cultist is fun, but oh god, the tedium and the UI. It's an overpriced game for what one's getting.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13