Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Cultist Simulator: Behold Our End (Kickstarter by creator of Sunless Sea)  (Read 33451 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Thanks for the tips. Just lost my longest running game because I couldn't get rid of some damning evidence even with a Moth 5 Swindler. I agree that it seems way too unforgiving to deal with evidence.

"HEY INVESTIGATOR! YOU DON'T WANNA COMPILE EVIDENCE ON THOSE CORPSES! YOU WANNA LOOK AT MY PAINTINGS!
PAIIIIIINTIIIIINGS! PRETTY! LOOK!"

I like to think it's creating more rumors and hearsay that they have to sort through to find what you're actually doing.

"Oh that artist. I hear he only paints naked by the moonlight on a hill that changes every evening."

"Oh well I heard they're actually a woman who only dresses as a man when people come to view their work."

"Oh well I HEARD they're the leader of a secret cult that's trying to awaken a dead god."

"Really Mirabel, you have the most outlandish flights of fancy."

*Weary investigator in the corner heaves a huge sigh*
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile

Or you paint something weird that might hold symbolism about your cult so the investigator has to go and stare at it for a while.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Thanks for the tips. Just lost my longest running game because I couldn't get rid of some damning evidence even with a Moth 5 Swindler. I agree that it seems way too unforgiving to deal with evidence.

"HEY INVESTIGATOR! YOU DON'T WANNA COMPILE EVIDENCE ON THOSE CORPSES! YOU WANNA LOOK AT MY PAINTINGS!
PAIIIIIINTIIIIINGS! PRETTY! LOOK!"

I like to think it's creating more rumors and hearsay that they have to sort through to find what you're actually doing.

"Oh that artist. I hear he only paints naked by the moonlight on a hill that changes every evening."

"Oh well I heard they're actually a woman who only dresses as a man when people come to view their work."

"Oh well I HEARD they're the leader of a secret cult that's trying to awaken a dead god."

"Really Mirabel, you have the most outlandish flights of fancy."

*Weary investigator in the corner heaves a huge sigh*
Exactly. Creating a huge air of mystery around yourself with copious false leads that the investigator has to follow up on, any one of which might be important but all of which turn out to be nothing at all. Every seemingly suspicious road ends with a completely innocuous explanation while your actual heinous deeds go by unnoticed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It appears to vary by investigator quality though. I've watched named investigators before both go straight for corpses or notoriety though to create evidence, even though I had Mystique out there. What causes them to prefer Mystique over hard evidence, whether it's the fact they're named versus generic or have a certain trait, I'm not sure. The one I was dealing with, their ability implied they never failed to convert things in to evidence...it didn't imply they just ignored Mystique completely.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:32:37 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

I feel like its probably random with some degree of weighting as I have had the same investigator both do mystique first and go straight to notoriety. Part of the reason I feel this way is that there are plenty of other magnet things that should never be random but are, such as if dread will go to the despair or fascination crisis, or if your despair crisis will pick up dread or contentment both of which can also completely screw you over.

Now, it is possible that different investigators are weighted differently, but given that there are no traits related to it I suspect its the same.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Biggest problem with the game I think is the reliance on dice in certain instances, also the way cults interact with your temptation.  I can't be sure since I"ve never tried, but going by what I've seen it seems like choosing a cult that doesn't match your temptation will make it much harder to win.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I really like the lore though.  At this point I'm sick of Lovecraft stuff, it's so derivative and basically effortless at this point.  Despite the name, I actually kind of hate Lovecraft.  This resonates much more and I think is a much smarter way to do "incomprehensible."  You see the Hours described by different names, with different attributes.

Instead of just telling us what the Watchman is, which would never be as good as what we imagine, it gives you human interpretations of him.  We never know what they really are, or look like, or really anything about them.  Distant, perfect conceptual beings, beautiful and alluring, the reality only hinted by the horrible transformations that come with their touch.

The moth is my favorite, and really resonates with the themes of this kind of fiction.
Shoes...

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Biggest problem with the game I think is the reliance on dice in certain instances, also the way cults interact with your temptation.  I can't be sure since I"ve never tried, but going by what I've seen it seems like choosing a cult that doesn't match your temptation will make it much harder to win.

can't you change your temptation though?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

You can, but there are only three.  If you want to start a moth cult, or a winter cult, or edge or knock or any of those, you have to deal with have a misaligned temptation.

Is there any way to upgrade your headquarters?  I've about given up trying to figure it out on my own.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:39:45 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

I've heard that headquarters aren't really implemented yet and are probably going to be done later in a update or DLC. Not sure if that is correct though.

Also, does anyone know if its possible to recruit patrons? The card text says that it is possible, but nothing I have tried has worked so far even with a pretty high amount of aspect.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

using lore on hunters literally never fucking works.  i've maybe done it fifteen times, all failures except once which did nothing but give him the opposite immunity

a common theme of the game is random events that are a) necessary to win, b) too low probability, c) way too fucking harsh when you fail

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:54:21 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is what I was kind of referencing above about Alexis' games.

Cultist hideout possibly not being finished, there being very few temptations versus aspects despite the system clearly being designed with that in mind.....the fact there are what, four locations in game to visit?

Just reminds me of the unfinished core storylines in Fallen London (I forget what they're called now) or the other bits that end with "More coming soon!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Moth cult, is that like worshipping Mothra or something?

Though to be honest, Mothra looks like a butterfly rather than a moth and his wings don't fold like actual moth wings do.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Moth is the Hour of temptation, chaos, and catastrophe.  It circles the fire until it's consumed.  Which is the most thematic Hour for the nature of the game.

oh i lost, because apparently you can lose with damning evidence even if the invincible fucking bitch doesn't have any notoriety.

Hunters are complete bullshit and it's almost impossible to get rid of them.  Everything is a die roll and there's no trying again because they become immune to anything that doesn't kill them.

I really want to see what happens when you win but this game's really testing my resolve now.

I HAD NINE FUCKING CULTISTS AND IT GOES STRAIGHT TO ME

And then the thing is like 'many hunters have specific weaknesses!'  fuck off game, i did her specific weaknesses and they didn't fucking work
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:18:45 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm starting to think hunters grab the first Reputation item they can. If you have an old notoriety, and a lot of new mystique, they will take the notoriety first. So it seems you want to have a ton of mystique pretty much all the time. Yes, it makes Season of Suspicion events last forever. But running down the timer on notoriety by having tons of mystique in front of it seems to be the only way to keep hunters from snatching up notoriety as fast as they can.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile

I'm starting to think hunters grab the first Reputation item they can. If you have an old notoriety, and a lot of new mystique, they will take the notoriety first. So it seems you want to have a ton of mystique pretty much all the time. Yes, it makes Season of Suspicion events last forever. But running down the timer on notoriety by having tons of mystique in front of it seems to be the only way to keep hunters from snatching up notoriety as fast as they can.
Yeah i tried the patron spam forgetting about my notoriety from expeditions and then my heart cultist ate mystique instead 3 times and still got an evidence :<
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13