Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Cultist Simulator: Behold Our End (Kickstarter by creator of Sunless Sea)  (Read 32905 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I think the mechanics are cool.  It could do well to make it easier to organize your cards though.  A solution for stacking decay cards is desperately needed.

Also I feel like they should adjust the ratios on mentally attacking hunters.  It has way too many drawbacks for the tiny chance of accomplishing something. It multiplies the negative card, causes new immunities even if you succeed, and always causes immunities if you fail.

I've got this goon squad of invincible motherfuckers following me around now cause it's so fucking impossible to kill hunters.

Spoiler: Other Hints (get it?) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:04:40 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's either me being wrong, or dev being somewhat of a liar don't actually having any goddamn windows XP.  :-\ Steam sys. requirements say that this woorks on windows XP, but on launch game says that "bla bla InitializeCriticalSectionEx bla not found in DLL KERNEL32.dll". And well... from past expirience and some googling it's appears to be rock-solid sign that it will NOT work on windows XP (with exception of XCOM Enemy Within, somehow. And i don't remember which error it was in it).

Dude, it's 2018.  Update your OS already.  Not only is it locking you out of most modern games, even critical support ended in 2014 so all exploits discovered since then remain unpatched.  That machine better not have an internet connection.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:15:42 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler:  Another Hint (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Being a cultist is fun, but oh god, the tedium and the UI. It's an overpriced game for what one's getting.

Like I said, some people are ok with it because they value the quality of the narrative. Other people aren't as impressed with its narrative qualities, which subsequently makes the price and grinding mechanics a lot less tolerable. I think I basically said this to Alexis point blank at one point during Sunless Sea development and his stance was "with how much writing I do for these games, I think they're worth the price almost for that alone." (Paraphrasing.)

Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes not. It's a lot easier to agree with him when the narrative isn't being flippant.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

At least its less grinding than Fallen London eh

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

If Fallen London is grinding, this is trying to keep 4 to 8 plates spinning on sticks at the same time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

HEY OOPS THE THING YOU DID DIDN'T WORK FUCK YOU, HERE'S A PENALTY WAY HIGHER THAN ANYTHING YOU COULD'VE GAINED

Thought I had this one, but was so slowed down by constant fuckups on necessary die rolls I couldn't win before shit piled up
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:34:38 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

God damn are the dice rolls annoying.

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile

God damn are the dice rolls annoying.

Yeah i've had that happen too (not three times in a row) but having e.g. investigation after investigation can finish you VERY fast. You sometimes have 0 time to destroy evidence and you are just waiting for the end.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I've played 26 hours and gotten two victories. Seen *almost* everything, I think(?). Not going to do the grind again for the third victory. There is an achievement that 0% of players have, but my guess is that it's DLC/patch stuff. I really enjoyed my time with it and I'll be coming back whenever there's new content.
Spoiler: Dice rolls/evidence (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I have had some success tying investigators up by creating an absolute fuckton of mystique cards from painting. They'll sometimes spend so long chewing on mystique that their evidence and my notoriety will expire.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

You can always talk to the moody sort of hunters about dreads.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile

I have had some success tying investigators up by creating an absolute fuckton of mystique cards from painting. They'll sometimes spend so long chewing on mystique that their evidence and my notoriety will expire.
I've noticed that too. I've currently want to have EPIC painter build but currently milking money from the reason path (so much money). Waiting for my moth follower to be 3rd lvl.

Spoiler: Investigation re (click to show/hide)

Currently i'm not sure how much i've seen but i feel like it has huge potential for mods/expansions etc... Want to run a rpg game on this theme too... Must be too much "Laundry files" on my mind :D

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile

You can always talk to the moody sort of hunters about dreads.

Gotta think about that PR ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:35:08 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile

"HEY INVESTIGATOR! YOU DON'T WANNA COMPILE EVIDENCE ON THOSE CORPSES! YOU WANNA LOOK AT MY PAINTINGS!
PAIIIIIINTIIIIINGS! PRETTY! LOOK!"
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13