Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pride of Nations - actually working now and better than Victoria II!  (Read 5076 times)

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile

I've recently decided to give the Pride of Nations a try again, being surprised that after a few years they are still patching it. It used to be a horrible game, not because of its features but because it took several minutes for it to resolve a turn on a PC that was able to play AAA games in high FPS. Right now it's surprisingly working just like it should.

If you liked any of the Paradox Games, you'll probably like this one too. It's a grand strategy game set in the nineteenth century like Victoria 2, but much better. Why? Let me elaborate.
1. You actually have a decent military system. Victoria 2 has a decent economy and population system but a horrible military one. Just a few types of units and a very basic battle resolution, not to mention generic leaders. PON has about 40 types of units, which come in brigades, division and corpses which you use to form Armies and other units with. Additiionally, you can use military hospitals, signal corps, engineers, labor units etc. The battles are very detailed too with a lot of things taken into account by the engine. It's as good as a strategy game of this game can be, and vastly superior to EU4, CK2, Victoria and other Paradox games excluding maybe the Hearts of Iron series.
2. Real colonization and exploration. You are actually sending specialized units called expeditions and with a system of decisions carving your colonies wherever you want. And there are a lot of options - you can conduct research, both natural and anthropological, geographical exploration, set religious missions, military outposts, build roads and telegraphs, send merchants and build merchant hubs and more. You can even negotiate with tribal chiefs, bribe them or force them into submission. You can even send your battleships and use some old gunboat diplomacy. After you do this all you can proclaim your area a protectorate and eliminate your competition with the proclamation of a full colony. Africa is a game here, and a tough one at times.
3.Colonial conflicts, large troops on the borders or mutual disagreements can lead to something called a crisis. This is where you fight your opponent with press conferences, negotiations, legal issues and your diplomat's oratory skills. Whoever wins gets a lot of prestige, potential claims and casus belli necessary to wage war.
4. Economy is alright with a distinction between the treasury and private capital. There are dozens of goods, international trade, and you can actually win by having a very strong economy.
5. The graphics are fine with a lot details such as uniforms changing over time, portraits of world leaders and generals. I like the map too. It is reasonably detailed and contains a lot of cool, small things such as ships with their own name and goods they're moving, animals, and tons of cities.
6. You cannot choose any country in the beginning of the game but by using a command SwitchFaction you can play as a different nation from the next turn so it is possible to play as any nation in the world, and even several at the same time since it is a turn-based game. Head to head play is also possible.
7. In addition to the 1850 campaign and a DLC 1880 one there are several smaller scenarios covering the Italian War of Unification, the American Civil War, the Boer War, Russo-Japanese War and American-Spanish War among others. They're all pretty good
8. There's even a good research system with quite a few technologies and associated events. Research, apart from your additional invested is based on your country's assets. If you have a strong navy with many large bases you will develop naval technologies faster for example which is a very nice touch.

Overall after the very disappointing Victoria II, this was a nice surprise. It always had a great potential and now it's actually working. I highly recommend it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/73190/Pride_of_Nations/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:44:55 pm by Ekaton »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Pride of Nations - actually working now and better than Victoria II!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 10:41:46 pm »

Does Pride of Nations have the AGEOD engine clunk? I find that most games on the engine run about as well as a legless cripple, being full of crashes and general engine glitches. I loved Revolution Under Siege, though.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 11:32:33 pm »

Does Pride of Nations have the AGEOD engine clunk? I find that most games on the engine run about as well as a legless cripple, being full of crashes and general engine glitches. I loved Revolution Under Siege, though.

Amazingly, it's pretty fast for me. Currently playing Wars of Napoleon where every turn takes a couple minutes to resolve but in PON it was never more than 30-45 seconds. So far I've encountered just one bug where the game kept charging me steel till I had -500 despite not building anything and not trading it. It's very stable compared to most ageod games.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 11:39:44 pm »

They fixed PoN up?????? I gotta get this game now!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 12:20:42 pm »

They fixed PoN up?????? I gotta get this game now!

A lot of people posted that it finally works and I've re-installed it on Steam, and it really works well. If it doesn't work well for you, there are some tweaks posted on AGEOD forums that may help you.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 11:14:23 pm »

Does PoN have multiplayer, is it all just play by email? T'was a major disappointment in Revolution Under Siege for me.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 03:51:49 pm »

Revolution under siege is a great game. I bought lots of AGEOD games in a bundle once, and got Pride of Nations + DLCs, but haven't got around to playing it yet. Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 05:02:30 pm »

I love Paradox games, but I must say AGEOD has had so bad UI that playing feels like fighting against the game. I presume that hasn't improved? I kind of liked the Great Invasions game back in the day despite it, though.

Maple Leaf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 08:48:31 pm »

Ekaton, how have you set up the game to get 30-45 second turn resolutions?  I've tried everything and get way slower turn times than that, even with an ultra modern rig.  Any tweaking suggestions?

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 02:44:06 am »

An awesome game I only considered thanks to this thread.  Definitely my favourite Grand Strategy game, albeit only having spent hours reading the 120+ page manual.

On my Dell XPS 9560 Intel i7 processor core I get turn times of 90 seconds and upwards, but the turn lengths don't bother me at all.  I had much more idle time playing Vic 2
as a minor nation waiting for something to happen.

The only problem I have encountered is occasional game freezes when playing as Japan, which seem to occur specifically during pirate events,  meaning I have to replay the turn (or edit the save file).   

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 03:34:04 pm »

It can freeze although it’s very rare now. I had one case playing as Russia when I had to revert to the previous turn and it worked well.