Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just embarked, Dwarf's not building. need manageR?  (Read 1939 times)

Ahab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Just embarked, Dwarf's not building. need manageR?
« on: September 04, 2017, 07:07:00 am »

Howdy,

Title says it all.

I'm trying to build a carpenters workshop,among other things. I have plenty of wood  and yet no one is building this crap.

Apparently I need an administrator, I made someone it. Now they require an office?

I try to build a chair, but all it says is "requires throne"...

Pls halp

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Just embarked, Dwarf's not building. need manageR?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 07:22:51 am »

Howdy,

Title says it all.

I'm trying to build a carpenters workshop,among other things. I have plenty of wood  and yet no one is building this crap.

Apparently I need an administrator, I made someone it. Now they require an office?

I try to build a chair, but all it says is "requires throne"...

Pls halp

Press "v" and move the cursor onto a dwarf. Choose pref. Choose labor. Shift+Enter on Woodworking. If you selected "Play now!", and that's what I always do, then I'm not sure what your problem is.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 07:42:27 am »

You don't need a manager just to build workshops and such when you're starting up. That's for later when you want to make big orders (at which point you'll need to appoint a manager and give him a chair).

I suggest following the startup guide at the wiki for your first Fortress.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

(Skip down to 'a minimal fortress', as you've presumably worked out world generation already).

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 07:54:31 am »

When you start normal with the "Play now" Option, you get all important Jobs. So you can start Building your fort.
But what exactly is the Problem? You can't set them?
Or are they setted but no dwarf do it?
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Dwarf_fortress_mode
This page could help.
The old apple revels in its authority.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 08:07:45 am »

If it isn't the lack of a free dwarf with the correct labo(u)r assignments, then it may be some accessibility thing. Either by burrow assignments or some peculiarity of ramps/stairs (lack of) or walls/other barriers (presence of) there may be no dwarf able to get from where they are to the building materials to the building site. If this arises after jobs get assigned, you get warnings, but you could have set it up before the problem, and the job never gets assigned because by then you've got a 'broken' route.

(Some workshop you already built might block a doorway that it is next to. Jeweller's Workshops are a bugger for that, I find, though you only tend to notice when you stick them in a 3x3 dug-out room with the exact set of exits to trap the builder in, or isolate one part of the fortress from the rest because this was the only through-way. But that's just an example. It's probably not this exact workshop, yet, for you.)

There's various tests you can do. Try to build a wooden wall next to a dwarf you think should be able to do the job. Do the (b)uild (c)onsfruction (w)all and see what materials it suggests you can use (number of each log/rock/other items). Cancel out of that and try to (bcw) next to the workshop, and see if the material numbers (order may be different) are the same or not. If not, then you need to track down thr stairwell you accidentally channelled out of existence, or whatever, and solve that problem however you best can.

If it's burrows, just make sure a (suitably job-worthy) dwarf is not in a burrow, or else paint a new burrow and add them to extend his/her range beyond the more basic burrow you still want them in.

Or it may be something else, but I'd say the above will identify and  correct the more obvious problems, together with whatever is in that tutorial (that I haven't personally read for a long while, but may well cover some of this).

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 06:47:40 pm »

How much time in-game have you waited for the carpenter's workshop to be built? If your dwarf with Carpentry enabled is busy doing other stuff (sleeping, eating, drinking, stuck in a tree...) they might not get around to building the workshop for a while. As KittyTac suggested, giving the labour to dwarfs that are standing around with no job might help solve the problem.

For the chair: note that you need to construct a chair at a workshop before you'll be able to build it via the build menu.

Ahab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 04:35:12 am »

Damn, you guys are awesome.

What a great community.

I'll implement what you told me and give you an update over the next few days. I think it may be because I never assigned my carpenter dwarf to build it.... We shall see

Ahab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 06:26:05 pm »

Hey Guys,

Your suggestions fixed the issue immediately.

Now my question is....

I brought a ton of different seeds for a variety of crops and my farms are not recognizing any of them. I'm not sure where they went either, in fact I think my stockpile is full of different barrels and the seeds never made it..

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

In fact I took a ton of different alcohols so I'd have a ton of barrels but they are taking up my entire stockpile :/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:38:16 pm by Ahab »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 06:42:23 pm »

What seeds, in particular? And where are you hoping to plant them? There's overground crops and underground ones, that won't be usable in farm plots that are of the other type. (That and seasonal restrictions on certain crops, but thinking to plant plump helmets, etc, on the surface is the first thing you ought to make sure you're not inadvertently doing.)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 06:42:59 pm »

Where did you embark? Many seeds only grow in certain biomes. If you embarked in, for instance, a glacier, nothing but below-ground plants will be plantable.

Here you go! http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Crop
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 06:45:19 pm »

If you brought seeds on your embark then they are underground seeds; and you need an underground farm to plant those seeds (usually an area dug into the soil layer, that was never exposed to light).

If you have a bookkeeper and his settings are high enough, you will be able to find where the seeds are using the Stocks menu. Seeds are stored automatically within empty bags, and the bags may be placed in barrels.

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Ahab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 05:57:57 am »

Thanks guys.

Also, to anyone here using Masterwork mod.

How do you activate dwarf therapist?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:44:14 am by Ahab »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 08:14:14 am »

DT isn't related to Masterworks. There is some trouble with DT causing it to fail to work for some people since it's creator logged out quite some time ago, with others trying to get it back on track. A couple of usually working versions exist, including one in the LNP, although the 32 bit version seems to be more reliable than the 64 bit one (which is why I stay with the 32 bit DF for the time being).
I currently activate DT by activating the DwarfTherapist.exe file in my DF library, but when using the LNP I set it to activate on DF activation.

Ahab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 07:36:05 pm »

Nvm, i found wood burning
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:52:30 pm by Ahab »