Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [WIP] Online 3D map viewer  (Read 12437 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
[WIP] Online 3D map viewer
« on: September 06, 2017, 10:33:32 am »

Recently I resumed (well, restarted) working on a fast and simple 3D visualiser to add to DF Remote app to help new players better understand what their forts look like. Another part to this project is to create a WebGL-based online viewer, potentially a 3D replacement for DFMA.

So here is what I have so far. Not all buildings (and most workshops and furnaces) are rendered at the moment, and other stuff may be broken. To export a map just go to the page, copy and paste script to DFHack console, or upload your save.

Map is currently exported 30 zlevels down from the current level. Map key is generated based on site name and year, so new exports will overwrite previous one.

Requires a modern browser with WebGL support.

http://mifki.com/df/3dview

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Online 3D map viewer
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 02:24:22 am »

Nice!

Also cool way of "auto-installing" lua scripts

yxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 04:50:12 pm »

:o very nice!! I really liked the graphs =)

I know this maybe its not an easy suggestion or already planned, but anyways, it would be cool if you could navegate it like minecraft, with camera collision with the walls and floor, so the map could be traveled like first person.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 05:05:14 pm »

I know this maybe its not an easy suggestion or already planned, but anyways, it would be cool if you could navegate it like minecraft, with camera collision with the walls and floor, so the map could be traveled like first person.

We'll see. The bird's-eye view is sort of intentional, especially when this is going to be used in DF Remote on mobile - partly to minimise load time and data amount by not loading tiles not visible from above. However in web version this can be made different.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 11:00:09 am »

Very neat, I like how fast and simple the process is. Though right now the 16-z restriction is fairly limiting. Artstyle is clean, feels like 3D Spacefox. Controls could use some work, smoother transitions and less awkward keybinds. But I can definitely see this being the 3D DFMA replacement you envisioned, and a great alternative to the heavier Armok Vision.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 08:10:41 pm »

Very neat, I like how fast and simple the process is. Though right now the 16-z restriction is fairly limiting. Artstyle is clean, feels like 3D Spacefox. Controls could use some work, smoother transitions and less awkward keybinds. But I can definitely see this being the 3D DFMA replacement you envisioned, and a great alternative to the heavier Armok Vision.

Thanks for a wonderful demo, here it is with all levels http://assets.mifki.com/df3dview/#key=7c9be1699d074f2e

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 11:32:49 pm »

Well shit. Colour me impressed. Keep up the good work! I like the idea of a lightweight visualizer for sharing maps.

Spoiler: 3D Map Viewer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Armok Vision (click to show/hide)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 05:14:47 am »

I've added several building types (maps must be re-exported to include buildings), support for objects to have parts with static (not affected by material) colours, and for transparent (i.e. made of glass) ramps and windows.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 05:44:33 am »

Added models for more building types and a lot of optimisations. Also an option to hide trees because they produce too many polygons and obscure more important stuff.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 04:29:57 am »

In 2016 December, Tharis requested 3d visualizer image of Moonhome.

Now, in 2017 September, I'll be killing two birds with one stone.

Really simple to use

||

Granted, most of Moonhome's below-ground constructions (and, hey, I found a downside for popupbox to name images. Whoops) aren't much to visualize. It seems that +- on numpad, or +- on keyboard fail to do anything.

Possibly related, found two errors in console. Copying the text in console:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Running Firefox on Lubuntu, for what's it is worth.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:41:18 am by Fleeting Frames »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 05:36:43 am »

Very nice and fast! Some underground areas
sure look better now.

Though, it seems it can't go higher than initial view. Should I reupload it?

Certainly a motivation for glass houses:
||

You probably know it, but found green glass fortifications don't get coloured properly:

||

In-game:

||

(Well, WIP is WIP. This is sort of expected.)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 05:52:18 am »

Yes, it exports 30 zlevels down from the initial one. If you need more, you can re-run the saved 3dview-upload script manually specifying number of levels like "3dview-upload 50".

Transparency was not enabled for all tile types because I didn't have a map to test. I've enabled for everything now, let's see what happens (you need to re-upload).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 06:19:00 am »

Well, lets see it...The trees are much more impressive now.

Hm, sometimes transparency doesn't work out. That table and chair are not floating in mid-air..No, in fact they're on same floor as the other ones in screenshot.

||

All tables have several quires on top, too.

Hm...I'm not sure if anything changed.
Pages: [1] 2 3