Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarfputing advice - for bathhouse waterwerks  (Read 3669 times)

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfputing advice - for bathhouse waterwerks
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 05:15:10 pm »

Here's my initial design:

Code: [Select]
          P=r
 *==W====r| 
 **      || 
         || 
*===W==r I*O
**     r=I*O
      r==I*O
*===W=r  I*O
**       ||#
         |rRr
 *==W====r ^r
 **        Rr
           #

I are input gears
O are output gears
* are gears
W are gears under windmills that provide 40 power
P is also a gear under a windmill
| and = are axles
r are rollers
R are rollers on a N/S minecart track
^ is a pressure plate on the minecart track
# are walls, terminating the N/S track

I'm using the minecart track, located between the # symbols, to provide a power-to-signal conversion. Water is added to the bathhouse via a floodgate that is connected to the pressure plate.

Obviously, there are many superfluous axles and gears to provide the proper load to the machine circuits.

Now on to !!SCIENCE!! to actually build and test this monstrosity!

Looks horrifying (especially since you'll have to build two!) and I love it! Counted all your power loads just to be sure and it's all spot on. I hope the bathhouse is truly epic, to warrant this much work behind it! Would be cool to see some screencaps when you're done :)
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

emodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 04:50:02 pm »

I've constructed and tested the design! The first two images below contain the mechanical logic as provided by @Skullsploder. The remaining images show the bathhouse from the top-down. Grab the compressed savegame file here. I'm using the current version of DF (v0.43.05).

Here is the main logic system. It's the square floored area toward the upper-right:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And, of course the windmill power above it:

Top of the Bathhouse, where the circulating water is pumped into the top, as well as the shower entrance toward the right side. Here is where the water intake floodgate resides:

The entry level of the bathhouse, circumnavigated by beautiful marble statues, floor carvings, and individual soap bars for cleanliness. Note the old fluid logic system to the right of the main hallway:

The lowered area of the actual bath - note the left side channel for feeding the circulating pumps and the right channel for the entryway shower:

Finally, the drainage floodgates. There are five of them, but I'm now only using the central one (shown open and draining):

Overall, this is an initial success! I'm unhappy with the quantity of level-4 water voxels, which generate message spam when dorfs complain about places being unaccessible, but I can fix that by replacing the pressure sensors to react to lower water levels. Feel free to ask questions. Have fun, and thank you all for participating in !!SCIENCE!!   :)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 05:32:06 pm »

I see you wanted falling water to cause mist, I take it.

Though I'm still a bit confused why not use a closed water system, it's definitely beautiful success.

emodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 07:45:57 pm »

I see you wanted falling water to cause mist, I take it.

Though I'm still a bit confused why not use a closed water system, it's definitely beautiful success.

Ah - Yes, Dwarves love the waterfalls (somtimes). It's also a sculpture garden and a meeting area. As I had discovered from past runs (this was the fourth attempted control system), you will see many 1s (level-1 water) moving in the pipes and falling into the pool two Urists below. Sometimes these 1s will evaporate, causing the circulating bath (and entry shower) to loose water over time. I wanted an "ageless machine" in the true character of Dwarves to maintain the bath levels ad eternum!  :)

It hasnt gone perfectly yet. I think this design has bettter potential than the previous, which used fluid logic.  It has an issue with higher water levels (waves of level-4), but I might be able to iron that out. I've atttempted these controls schemes to teach myself the fundamentals of dwarfputing, so I can add that as  another tool in my toolbox. So far, I'm loving it - it greatly expands my options on megaprojects from the practical to the absurd.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 03:45:04 pm by emodwarf »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 05:18:23 pm »

Hm, point about evaporation. My first thought would be to counter it by using still 7/7 water on z-level underneath, but I take it you tried something like that.

emodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 06:43:36 pm »

Hm, point about evaporation. My first thought would be to counter it by using still 7/7 water on z-level underneath, but I take it you tried something like that.

The vision I had for the bathhouse was to make it as appealing and beautiful as possible. For this, I needed a carvable pool area of native stone. Note the carvings around the peremeter of the pool itself.

How would would you envision the extra 7/7 level under the bath to help out? Note that the two sources of evaporation occurr in the two levels above the bath: in the water feed channels up top (-9) and the showers dropping into the pool and entryway (-10) where spots of 1/7 appear frequently.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 07:10:12 pm »

Not under whole bath, but for spots where 1/7s can appear. Such as before pump, you can use an u-bend for instance, i.e.
▒▒▒  %%
⥲⥲▒~▒▒
▒~~~▒

After pump, hm, you could use use series of pumps to move waters in units of 2 to 7/7 right over to pool entering spot, so it never has chance to spread out into 1/7.

Alternatively, minecart setups could also work, as minecarts only take up 2 units of liquid when it is 6/7 or 7/7. *facepalms for not considering minecarts first*
Throughput/timing/exact water amount in system might have to be considered, not sure, I think there's probably some configurations where the whole thing can jam with throwing it chock-full of wooden minecarts. Though I've certainly set up some fun circular tracks in test forts where two dozen minecarts in a loop throw out any water above 5/7 in their pool.

emodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 01:41:38 pm »

I've made some changes to the bathhouse mechanics, which seems to be running sufficiently. I replaced the inner pressure plates in the bath to respond to 0/7 to 1/7 water level (instead of 0/7 to 2/7). I'm getting a fair mix of 2/7 and 3/7 water levels in the bath area - no 4/7s, which is good for business. I've added some door indicators that are linked to the pressure plates so real-time monitoring can be observed. I've got a weird quirk, though, where power is just briefly transmitted to the power-to-signal minecart track when only one input gear is engaged (supposed to require two).

The current savegame is available for downloaded.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 02:16:24 pm »

Awesome! A* stuff.

Next challenge: a studio ghibli style bath house tavern.

Just joking: that would be inhumanly complex.
One wheel short of a wagon

emodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 02:30:51 pm »

Awesome! A* stuff.

Next challenge: a studio ghibli style bath house tavern.

LOL - a place so amazing, the guests just might get spirited away!  ;)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 04:04:47 pm »

Just joking: that would be inhumanly complex.

You understand we're playing Dwarf Fortress, right?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 [2]