Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF File hosting  (Read 1071 times)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Re: DF File hosting
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 06:29:00 am »

Well, after talking with Lacota a bit earlier this week he never answered whether he was willing to work together, so I'm continuing to move forward on my planned DF file hosting site.
There are still a handful of features I want to add in before opening the site (along with a lot of stuff which can be added in afterwards), but it's coming along nicely. It should be ready to open within a week or two.

For the name of the site, I'm thinking "Dwarf Fortress File Depot" (DFFD for short). Seems fitting because of the palindrome effect and the fact that depots are the place in the game where goods are brought to be traded. The likely URL will be "http://dffd.wimbli.com/".

Anyway, just wanted to let people know it's still in the works.

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

The site is basically ready and in good shape. I would have opened it already, but it would have had a ~7MB upload limitation. Since the new version of DF came out generating ~20MB saves, I decided to move forward with an improved upload mechanism which I'd previously planned to add in at a later date. I've been working on that today, and it's coming along nicely. It should be ready within a few days. I'll have it set to allow uploads up to 50MB in size, and it will display a progress bar as your file is uploading.

For anyone interested in a preview of how it will look: http://dffd.wimbli.com/  

The category layout is taken from another file hosting site I have and is not what I'll use for the DFFD site once it opens. Likewise, I've disabled uploads by regular users on the test site while I'm working on it.

On a related topic, would anyone like to donate a nice 16x16 "favorite icon" for the site? The one I have on the test site now is by sphr, but for whatever reason I was unable to get a response from him when I asked about using it for the site. I then asked DR about using one of his but got no answer there either. I don't want to use anyone's work without permission.
I'm not that great with drawing small pixelly dwarves, so anyone who can draw a decent 16x16 dwarf which looks something like a trader or bookkeeper would be appreciated.

[ February 12, 2008: Message edited by: Janus ]

The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 10:49:00 am »

How about this:    

E: Oops, asked for a scholar type. Hmm.    ?

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 04:04:00 am »

Thanks, that'll work.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]