Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Learning about all our Dwarf Fortress Rocks!  (Read 52060 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Learning about all our Dwarf Fortress Rocks!
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »

Thanks to Wikipedia

SANDSTONE:

Sandstone is a sedimentary rock composed mainly of sand-size mineral or rock grains. Most sandstone is composed of quartz and/or feldspar because these are the most common minerals in the Earth's crust. Like sand, sandstone may be any color, but the most common colors are tan, brown, yellow, red, gray and white. Since sandstone beds often form highly visible cliffs and other topographic features, certain colors of sandstone have been strongly identified with certain regions.

Some sandstones are resistant to weathering, yet are easy to work. This makes sandstone a common building and paving material. Because of the hardness of the individual grains, uniformity of grain size and friability of its structure, sandstone is an excellent material from which to make grindstones, for sharpening blades and other implements. Non-friable sandstone can be used to make grindstones for grinding grain, e.g., gritstone.

Rock formations that are primarily sandstone usually allow percolation of water and are porous enough to store large quantities, making them valuable aquifers. Fine-grained aquifers, such as sandstones, are more apt to filter out pollutants from the surface than are rocks with cracks and crevices, such as limestones or other rocks fractured by seismic activity.

SILTSTONE:

Siltstone is a sedimentary rock which has a composition intermediate in grain size between the coarser sandstones and the finer mudstones and shales.

MUDSTONE/SHALE:

Shale (also called mudstone) is a fine-grained sedimentary rock whose original constituents were clay minerals or muds. It is characterized by thin laminae[1] breaking with an irregular curving fracture, often splintery and usually parallel to the often-indistinguishable bedding plane. This property is called fissility. Non-fissile rocks of similar composition but made of particles smaller than 1/16 mm are described as mudstones. Rocks with similar particle sizes but with less clay and therefore grittier are siltstones. Shale is the most common sedimentary rock.

ROCK SALT:

Halite is the mineral form of sodium chloride, NaCl, commonly known as rock salt. Halite forms isometric crystals. The mineral is typically colourless to yellow, but may also be light blue, dark blue, and pink. It is chemically the same as table salt, and is often mined for that purpose.

LIMESTONE:

Pure limestone is almost white. Because of impurities, such as clay, sand, organic remains, iron oxide and other materials, many limestones exhibit different colors, especially on weathered surfaces. Limestone may be crystalline, clastic, granular, or massive, depending on the method of formation. Crystals of calcite, quartz, dolomite or barite may line small cavities in the rock.Limestone is very common in architecture, especially in North America and Europe. Many landmarks across the world, including the pyramids in Egypt, are made of limestone.

CONGLOMERATE:

Consisting of a jumble of large, gravel-like stones cemented together by sedementary action- or to be more accurate, inaction.

DOLOMITE:

Dolomite is used as an ornamental stone, a concrete aggregate and as a source of magnesium oxide. It is an important petroleum reservoir rock, and serves as the host rock for large strata-bound Mississippi Valley-Type (MVT) ore deposits of base metals (that is, readily oxidized metals) such as lead, zinc, and copper. Where calcite limestone is uncommon or too costly, dolomite is sometime used in its place as a flux (impurity remover) for the smelting of iron and steel. (Although we already knew that)

FLINT/CHERT:

Flint (or flintstone) is a hard, sedimentary cryptocrystalline form of the mineral quartz,[1][2] categorized as a variety of chert. Flint is usually dark-grey, black, or deep brown in colour, and often has a waxy appearance. It occurs chiefly as nodules and masses in sedimentary rocks, such as chalks and limestones.[3][4] From a petrological point of view, "flint" refers specifically to the form of chert which occurs in chalk or marly limestone. Similarly, "common chert" (sometimes referred to simply as "chert") occurs in limestone. There is much confusion concerning the exact meanings and differences among the terms "chert", "chalcedony" and "flint" (as well as their numerous varieties). In petrology the term "chert" is used to generally refer to all rocks composed primarily of microcrystalline, cryptocrystalline and microfibrous quartz. The term does not include quartzite. Chalcedony is a microfibrous (microcrystaline with a fibrous structure) variety of quartz. Strictly speaking, the term "flint" is reserved for varieties of chert which occur in chalk and marly limestone formations.

More Rocks Tomorrow!

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
Re: Learning about all our Dwarf Fortress Rocks!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

This thread rocks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

Har har har...

Anyways, thanks mate.  Nice to have something like this around, and it's in a surprisingly easy-to-read format (as compared to the articles themselves.  Eek).

Is it just me, or does dolomite look like rice?

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 10:24:00 am »

Whoa.  The fortress I built out of largely rock salt and marble must have looked trippy!
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:10:00 am »

So chert is the same thing as flint?
Why can't we call it flint then?  I have always hated the name 'chert'.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 11:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrving:
<STRONG>This thread rocks.</STRONG>

I think it's absolute schist.

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Crafty Barnardo:
<STRONG>So chert is the same thing as flint?
Why can't we call it flint then?  I have always hated the name 'chert'.</STRONG>

Flint is a type of chert, sorry, but you're stuck with Chert.

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Is it just me, or does dolomite look like rice?</STRONG>

Darn it, you just made me hungry!

That rock salt looks surprisngly... awesome... as a building material.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 11:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Abyss:
<STRONG>
That rock salt looks surprisngly... awesome... as a building material.</STRONG>

Until it rains.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

I shale look forward to another update...
quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RickiusMaximus:
<STRONG>I shale look forward to another update...</STRONG>

Granite, but it's so full of puns you regret having wished for it.

Of quartz, if we keep up this cobbled-together mayhem, we'll end up driving the thread into obsidian.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

Gneiss one.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

You guys really have the gift of the gabbro   :D
quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

RP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »

Completing the list of rocks would make this one of the longer threads andesite. Interesting and convenient.

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: RP ]

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

Ahh, the sedimentary layer of the pun world.

Geological forces, continue thy work!

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 04:08:00 pm »

Who knew puddingstone names into sentences could be so fun? Granite, there's only a few names that work, jet so many ways to use them.

Schist, if I keep this up much longer, I could just lose my marbles!

Well, its slate, so I better quit hogging the mica and get on home. Thank you, thank you, I'll be here alunite!

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7