Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Learning about all our Dwarf Fortress Rocks!  (Read 52053 times)

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Learning about all our Dwarf Fortress Rocks!
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

quote:
By the way, any idea what that thing poking out of the rutile is? It looks like the brooms they use here in India.

The thing poking out of the... eh... stone is actually the rutile.      :D      ;)

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Jiri Petru ]

Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

Rant about asbestos:
'Asbestos' is not all horribly bad, only some types were.

There were 3 main types of asbestos mined for industrial purposes.  These were called Brown, White, and Blue asbestos, due to their colors.

Only about 5% of the asbestos mined was reibeckite, known as Blue Asbestos, which was the one that was very harmful (there are other harmfull asbestoform minerals, but most were not ever mined industrially.  Some random, possibly harmful asbestoform minerals are formed in the flash heating mica to make that fluffy stuff that goes into flower pot mixtures... not perlite, the other flaky stuff, whatever it is called).  This mineral has a more rigid crystal structure then the other two, thus it was capable of doing much more damage in the lung.  Brown and white asbestoses were somewhat safer.

I got this from my geology book a few years ago, but a survey was done a while back to determine asbestosis and related disease rates in asbestos mine workers.  What they found was:
Blue asbestos mine workers had INSANE amounts of problems.
White and Brown asbestos mine workers had... less problems then the general populous.  So the general populous had, on average, more harmful jobs then White and Brown asbestos mine workers.  The stuff was quite frankly relatively safe compared to so many other things people do or are around at their jobs.  It has, though, been shown to have effects in the lab such as in rats... so it is not entirely benign.  And one would have trouble telling this to a person who has lung cancer and believes it due to asbestos exposure (possible, again it is not perfectly benign).

That study was done, however, after the government had gotten it's hands on the word 'Asbestos'.  All asbestoform things were banned, and the masses told that asbestos was bad.

I for one would never do well without my asbestos gloves for glass blowing.  Developing 'asbestos fingers' can only go so far before one's skin actually does sear.  These gloves are made of brown asbestos, is I remember correctly.  Fortunately, I also already wear a dust mask in the hopes that I do not get something similar to asbestosis, siliconiosis.  It's basically the same thing, only specific to those who are around tiny glass particles all the time.  In fact, it's the exact same thing.  Also, there's Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, which is specific for volcanic ash, but again the same thing, essentially.

An odd historical side note: I heard a story somewhere that Charlamange has an asbestos shirt woven.  One party, he made a particular mess of himself on purpose.  He then took his shirt off, and threw it into the fire.  Later it was removed, with the impurities burned away.  Needless to say, the nobles were impressed enough to have it recorded in the history books.  Some sources I see on the internet now say it was a tablecloth, but still, the concept is there.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2008, 09:45:00 pm »

In response to someone earlier who had talc walls...

Actually, Talc would possibly make wonderful walls.  Yes it's soft, but that it is's benefit!  Unless the enemy has picks to tear into it, it absorbs blows!  

Similar in concept is the fortress at Saint Augustine, FLorida, which is made of the local Coquina.  Coquina is essentially half-sedimented shells: they aren't pressed together yet like limestone, but they are stuck together like a sedimentary rock.  When in Saint Augustine, I went illegally collecting some of these stones on the shores next to the fort (an area nobody can see you because it's a slope into the water that people don't look over), and what I found was this: no matter how thin the piece I tried to break off, my rock hammer (my BIG rock hammer) made a mess of it but could not break it.  Because it absorbs the blows, and is made of so many tiny parts, you cannot produce a single massive fault like you can with other rocks.  It did the same thing for the fort: where a cannonball explosion might shatter and burst a brick wall, or a granite wall, it would DENT a coquina wall.

So soft walls can have their advantages...

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2008, 01:21:00 am »

Which is actually an advantage of sandbag walls: you just cannot make a big crack in non-monolitic material like sand. Bullet ends up being against many small grains and is stopped very effectively. Sand just cannot be destroyed like a wall is.

That and ease of making sandbag walls really fast  :p

Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.

Seth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2008, 02:48:00 am »

man, I can believe a thread about something like rocks is so great.  I guess it's true what they say, when life gives you limonite...

you can't help but give into the puns, resistance is rutile!

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2008, 03:28:00 am »

The stone cold facts: you can't just take this stuff for granite. It's more than just schist. Sand as far as I can see, their glass is grass. Sharp as an obsidian edge, solid as a rock, clear as crystal: Rock on.

- Sparksol has been hit by a spinning *Pun Hammer*! It is sent flying!

Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »

Very nice work. Claystone and Horn silver seem to have been missed out.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Seth:
<STRONG>  I guess it's true what they say, when life gives you limonite...</STRONG>

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.  

When life gives you limonite, you make coke.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Metalax:
<STRONG>Very nice work. Claystone and Horn silver seem to have been missed out.</STRONG>

Hmm... That's odd. I'll add them.

CLAYSTONE:

Claystone (pronounced /ˈkleɪstoʊn/) is a geological term used to describe a sedimentary rock that is composed primarily of clay-sized particles (less than 1/256 millimetre in diameter). It does not refer to those rocks that are laminated or easily split into thin layers (clay shales). Claystones are distinct from mudstones, which are partly hardened muds that slake when wetted; claystone is fully-hardened material.

HORN SILVER:

Chlorargyrite is the mineral form of silver chloride (AgCl). Chlorargyrite occurs as a secondary mineral phase in the oxidation of silver mineral deposits. It crystallizes in the isometric - hexoctahedral crystal class. Typically massive to columnar in occurrence it also has been found as colorless to variably yellow cubic crystals. The color changes to brown or purple on exposure to light. It is quite soft with a Mohs hardness of 1 to 2 and dense with a specific gravity of 5.55. It is also known as cerargyrite and, when weathered by desert air, as horn silver. Chlorargyrite is water insoluble.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2008, 04:08:14 pm »

Ahhhh! All my photolinks died!!!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2008, 06:17:04 pm »

Unless you fixed them, I'm still seeing plenty of pictures.  :-\
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2008, 03:00:23 am »

I've one thing to say and that's dammit, granite, I love you!

(Straight from the "Rocky" Horror Picture Show)
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

blakyoshi7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2008, 03:24:00 am »

<P>Actually, Talc would possibly make wonderful walls.  Yes it's soft, but that it is's benefit!

I expect it would be much easier to engrave in as well.

Just stay away from that masterwork engraving of a pipe section.
Life is but a twinkle, a winking of an eye...

ACE91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SECTOR91 Productions
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2008, 11:46:20 am »

So, if cinnabar is an ore of mercury, and stibnite is an ore of antimony, maybe once alchemy is added it can be possible to extract both of those materials from their respective ores. Both mercury and antimony were known in medieval times and had alchemical symbols, so they were probably important in alchemy. And liquid mercury would just be totally awesome.
ACE91, Programmer cancels Strange Mood: Went insane.
because there's only one reality.
Says who?

Alopix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2008, 12:36:17 pm »

yeah, so...
Dwarves have access to saltpeter. And coal. And sulphur.

EXPLOSIVE TRAPS AND DWARF CANNON PARATROOPERS CONFIRMED FOR NEXT VERSION
Nothing like a romantic dinner of raw mushrooms in the glow of pure hate and destruction
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7