Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39

Author Topic: 888th Brigade OOC thread  (Read 62380 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade OOC thread
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 07:22:51 pm »

I'm...really not sure you understand either the mechanics of such an action, the mechanics of WWII munitions, or the decency involved in blatantly ignoring someone's arguments just because their internet manners aren't quite up to YOUR particular standard.

Yes, Milo (And myself) could've addressed that better. Perhaps he and I should have. Ozarck should most certainly have not ignored him, nor me.

For the sake of argument, let's discount my point that there's enough munitions in that bunker to level the base and/or start enough chain reaction explosions in OTHER munitions (Such as those stored in ready condition inside the hangar, or more fuel silos, etc.) to kill us all. This leaves us with a very loud explosion on the base bringing every single German for fifteen miles around running back towards the base. This is definitely NOT a good condition for a stealth mission.

Furthermore, as I mentioned, Ozarck is working on immediate exfil without the rest of the team, which is, again, breaking a rule of the military that is almost sacred in importance. He can't justify that. Not while remaining IC.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 11:37:57 pm »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 01:49:54 pm »

Spoilers are pretty much not warranted, but if we're being THAT long-winded then I suspect any later users of this thread would enjoy your use of spoilers, else it's a long scroll down to the bottom.

I believe that the cumulative effects of a munitions "bunker" (I haven't read it for a while, but I don't think it was ever called "reinforced" in any way) will reach far enough to do measurable damage to most of the base, including setting off other flammables and explosives. If nothing else, flying glass is BAD, especially when it's WWII, and therefore glass is of the nasty plate-glass varieties, which shatter into what is effectively large razors when hit.

And again, perhaps you're right: What about the MASSIVE number of firefighting soldiers he's about to bring crashing down on the base?

IC, he knows the rules of a stealth op---things do NOT get to explode until and unless it's time to explode them.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 03:37:09 pm »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 03:51:26 pm »

"Cumulative effects" pretty well explains it all. I think there's enough munitions, even if it's just 20mm and 88mm antiaircraft shells, to deal more damage than necessary to waste a lot of the base. Not only that, but a bunker can only contain so much. A well-built bunker would be partially underground, directing the majority of the blast's force upwards. Otherwise, you're just adding a shell of containment.

As far as whether or not its a bunker, without specific mention I assumed it was vaguely ramshackle like the rest of the base.

And the Nazis are carrying out sensitive experiments on an AIRBASE. This pretty well rules out logic. Deep underground or in a nice hidden cottage in the forest would've been the sensible locations to do this at, as opposed to doing these in the midst of a prime bombing target.

As for blast damage, assuming "the mechanics will protect us" aren't really a good plan, since IC it's still a reason not to blow the base.

As for bringing soldiers in....Do you know how loud a fire gets? There might be sirens (I can't remember), but there's certainly men shouting, wind gusts, crackling, stifling smoke, and quite a bit of distance between the men and the base. They're not likely to hear gunfire that well, especially if several of us on the base can't even hear it that well. A gigantic explosion, on the other hand, pretty well says "Here I am, I'm the target, SHOOT ME".

Anyway, it seems to be moot since I doubt PW will retcon anything, even if Ozarck gets off his high horse and undoes his action. Maybe we can still get that disarmed somehow.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 04:31:38 pm »

Looks like madman is actually starting to respond to points with points. Well done. Now a genuine case for not blowing the munitions dump has formed.

If these points were raised before the last update, I may very well have changed my stated action so as to wait a turn or two before triggering the satchel charge.

It would have been a matter of "what is the risk of delaying the action and getting caught in a building with one exit, losing half the team to Nazi counterattack, and generally losing any chance of completing the mission?" Verses "What is the risk of blowing this place now in terms of friendly fire, alerting more enemies, and destroying our chance to fulfill at least one other of the mission objectives?"

Oh, and syvarris: I am not 100% certain, but I believe that this kind of discourse does work better on me than getting shot in the back, so you may take that into consideration when doing your science experiment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 05:29:03 pm »

Ozarck, don't push it, would you?

You failed to make points, instead you committed ad hominem in response to a mix of ad hominem and simple bluntness.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 06:29:23 pm »

"Choose your battles."

In my experience, it's not worth reasoning with someone who repeatedly insults you and shows little evidence of listening to what you've already said to begin with.

So, I chose not to try to explain myself against what i considered to be an unreasonable assault.

It was also entirely unnecessary. I had no real stake in the outcome of the argument. My posted action speaks for itself - a point that has been repeatedly disregarded and ignored by yourself, and most of the team seems entirely uninterested in the issue, so why bother?

Besides, syvarris made excellent arguments, and enjoys the challenge. I felt he did just fine without my input.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 06:36:21 pm »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 06:40:53 pm »

Anyway, it seems to be moot since I doubt PW will retcon anything, even if Ozarck gets off his high horse and undoes his action. Maybe we can still get that disarmed somehow.

Heh, dude, it was moot long before you joined the conversation.  That doesn't mean we can't discuss it, though.

...Have him tell you about the elevator argument, Madman.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 08:06:44 pm »

Elevator argument?

Please, enlighten me. This sounds suspiciously like an entertaining anecdote.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 10:28:00 pm »

*sigh*

...ER.  Why must you bring such things up?

Short version:

Quote from: syvarris
Quote from: GreatWyrmGold
Are you trying to be so annoying that I give up the argument?

Yes.

The argument did not end there.

Long version:

Lars, a character in ER, got a bad feeling about what was behind the elevator door on the floor they'd just gone to.  GreatWyrmGold's character was in the elevator with him, and was quite vehement that the bad feeling should be ignored.  I disagreed, in OOC, and lured him into an argument about it (I didn't actually care).

What followed was a back-and-forth "debate" containing spoilered text walls that took literal hours to construct, and nothing of intellectual value.  GreatWyrmGold felt a need to prove he was correct; I felt a need to see how inane of a debate I could get him to take seriously.  More than a week after the elevator door was opened, GWG won through superior endurance, and got a crown from Piecewise as his reward.

That crown is still in his sig, to this day.

Bonus:
Syr trying to usurp GWG from his soapbox throne. I wonder if these two will ever decide to end their dispute in the ring?
Well, before they can, we need a ringside announcer and those girls with bikinis and round signs. Training montage is optional, but the old man Irish ringside coach is not.
I'm hoping they get the romantic ending instead, where they make sweet forbidden love to each other and afterwards build a relationship based on arguing who left the toilet seat up, despite the fact that they're both male.
We need someone to write a fanfic about this, now :P
It would be nothing more then meaningless, long-winded arguments interspersed with descriptions of genitalia and phrases like "Quarrelsome Thrusting" or "Pugnacious cuddling." Like a harlequin romance written by a grumpy needlessly contrary  librarian.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 08:03:10 am »

You people are insane.

ABSOLUTELY INSANE!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 08:18:40 am »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 08:27:10 am »

You people are insane.

ABSOLUTELY INSANE!

Nobody show him the ER subforum, his head'll explode.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39