Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39

Author Topic: 888th Brigade OOC thread  (Read 61452 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
888th Brigade OOC thread
« on: September 08, 2017, 01:47:28 pm »

This is to stop people from having long arguments in the mission thread. Now you can have them here.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade OOC thread
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 07:44:12 pm »

I like kittens.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 07:59:54 pm »

This is going to get bad pretty quick. Are the five guys with the weird rifles the ones soon to be coming into Robert M's view?
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:34:40 pm »

((I did NOT support Ed, including several IC statements to that effect. "Support" does not mean "follow blindly". In any case, my action is posted, let this be the end of this.))

Milo, Piecewise Does not read conversational text. Not even IC conversational text. He only goes by bolded actions.
If you wanted to disagree with Ed arming the bomb, you needed to edit your post to say something like:
Do not let Ed arm the bomb.

Then, because my action was: if my teammates agree, arm the bomb, then the bomb would not have been armed.

As it was, your only stated action was to support your teammates in any way possible, so that's what PW went with.

I'm saying, don't be upset with PW for making the events happen this way - it was as reasonable an interpretation of the bolded actions as was available to him.

Now, I don't care if your guy grabs the bomb or whatever - my action was conditional for a reason. I wasn't acting like a mad bomber or a crazy person. I wanted input. I even RP'd the conversation.

finally, a note about "not understanding people."
There is a difference between not understanding people, and being unable to communicate, or communicating rudely.

So I am going to explain a rather basic part of what people are like here, and make a suggestion about how to act accordingly. If this seems obvious and basic to you, well, I mean no offense. I am merely responding to your comment in the thread about it.

1) "People usually prefer to have things explained factually,
a) without insulting language such as "crazy," "madman," "stupid" etc,
b) without modifiers like "obviously" or universal claims like "no one would ever think like that" or whatever.

2) people tend to be willing to discuss reasons for and against courses of action, if their conversational partner appears willing to listen.

A suggestion:
if you don't understand why someone would do something, or you disagree with what they are doing or their thinking:
1) remain calm (easier said than done - ask anyone I have argued with)
2) make an 'I' statement, like "I disagree with that action" or "I don't understand what you are doing." This usually is seen as an invitation to explain.
3) state your reasons for your viewpoint. You did okay with this in thread. You gave specific examples of what you thought would happen if the bomb went off.

a second suggestion:
do not resort to ultimatums. "My way or the highway" is not a fun way for other people to play a game with you. If it's "my way or the highway," then stick to single player. Even most GMs do not have the luxury of that kind of attitude.

One last thing!
Most of us here are bad with people, at least in some way. We're all flawed. We can get our backs up, we can be rude, we can be stubborn, and sometimes we can be just plain dumb. I personally have grown to like pretty much everyone I play these games with - even the ones i have had the biggest arguments with.

I say this as an encouragement. Just because we argue, have a hard time communicating, and in general can be irritating, doesn't mean we can't have a good time together, learn, and become friends. Hang in there, buddy!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:02:40 pm »

For the LOVE OF GOODNESS!

You idiots!

Come on!

Milo's ENTIRELY CORRECT!

No soldier with half a brain (Or even less) would arm a short-fused bomb in the middle of a weapons depot with the team scattered among the buildings.

Milo, defuse that bomb, or, even better, grab the dumb thing and run it outside. Sling it towards a AAA or something.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 06:34:56 am »

You idiots!

No soldier with half a brain (Or even less) would ...

1) "People usually prefer to have things explained factually,
a) without insulting language such as "crazy," "madman," "stupid" etc,
b) without modifiers like "obviously" or universal claims like "no one would ever think like that" or whatever.

2) people tend to be willing to discuss reasons for and against courses of action, if their conversational partner appears willing to listen.

A suggestion:
if you don't understand why someone would do something, or you disagree with what they are doing or their thinking:
1) remain calm (easier said than done - ask anyone I have argued with)

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 06:44:20 am »

Sling it towards a AAA or something.

Oh, yeah! Take out those insurance guys!! They're real scum.
((Also, if you mean an antiaircraft gun, we've got friendlies in some of the nearby ones now, so be careful))
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 07:29:37 am »

There are six AA just north of the Munitions buildings. They are unmanned. the friendlies are in teh guns north of the Hangar, so, probably out of range of a toss.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 09:52:01 am »

AAA in Anti-Aircraft-Artillery.

And the way I addressed you arguing lunatics is perfectly fine, because Milo was right the entire time.

You should NOT have just killed everyone's characters like that (Assuming Milo can't defuse it/move it/whatever), and you most CERTAINLY should not try to justify it IC, because you're a soldier.

The most important rule of the US military is "Leave no man behind". Leaving a fellow soldier behind on the field of battle is punishable by death.

So you're dead even if that bomb doesn't kill you.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 12:03:37 pm »

no. "I can be rude because I'm right" is not a valid argument. The two things are mutually exclusive.

you are losing credibility by sticking to that tired line of argument.

and again, the threats are pretty ridiculous.

Tell me, madman, have you played a PW game before?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 12:10:09 pm »

I know enough about PW games.

The solution is USUALLY not to kill your buddies.

I don't give a rip if PW games usually have INSANE moralities, you're basically ruining the game for everyone else by turning the whole blasted place into a fireball.

You do NOT have an IC reason to violate the most basic rules of your army that way, you don't have an OOC reason to justify, well, anything, and yet Milo and I are wrong because we're rude and right, yet you're wrong and....still kinda rude, don't you think? Outright denying that we have a point because we have not addressed you in the way you wish to be addressed is not a good reason to ignore the facts.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 12:34:17 pm »

I am not even addressing your 'point.'

I am, and have been since the start, addressing your attitude and communication.

I do not intend to argue your point with you, since you demonstrate an unwillingness to hear.

Until you decide you are ready to have a civil conversation, I have no interest in the 'right and wrong' of the situation.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 12:46:30 pm »

Look, Ozarck, what you've done is terrible from an RP/IC/OOC perspective.

Admit that, and we can all move on. Especially if your character has a change of heart and goes and disarms the charge.

Also, not addressing my point is just a way of committing some lovely ad hominem, and proving that you probably don't have a point.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 06:44:33 pm »

I am not even addressing your 'point.'

I do not intend to argue your point with you, since you demonstrate an unwillingness to hear.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 05:47:53 pm »

...Madman, didn't you say you'd roll a CO if you died?  Pleasepleaseplease hold ti that promise, I need to see your commanding style.[/list]
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39