Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 39

Author Topic: 888th Brigade OOC thread  (Read 62383 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade OOC thread
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2017, 02:55:12 pm »

Tiruin, the more you ignore my statements, the less inclined I am to listen to any advice or suggestions you give, since it makes me believe that you are disregarding (or ignorant of) enough important information that your advice is significantly flawed.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2017, 03:07:52 pm »

She's given you solid advice. If the base goes off, the mission's toast anyway. Again: If the bunker's not gone off by now, it's probably not going to go off. And if you run off and "Wait until it actually explodes" the base is going to be filled with Nazis (IF the bunker even ever explodes) and you might even be looking at the worst case but most probable scenario of German reinforcements coming in to save their ultra-secret-really-important base.

And if you know about the children, and can condone leaving them there, well, um, dang, man, you've got yourself a screwed up character right there.

As for Tiruin ignoring your opinions, trust me, she's much, MUCH better at being reasonable than you or I. She doesn't believe the risk of explosion is high enough to justify leaving those kids behind. I don't think the explosion chance is that high regardless, and I certainly don't think you can leave them behind in reasonable fashion.

I'm pretty sure she didn't blatantly ignore anything, though she did dismiss the chance of explosion in the same way you brought up the chance of explosion---by implying she doesn't believe it's that important, whereas you stated you believe it to be important. Difference of opinions, no harm done.

Spoiler: Ironic Irony (click to show/hide)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2017, 03:18:16 pm »

And if you know about the children, and can condone leaving them there, well, um, dang, man, you've got yourself a screwed up character right there.

Well, he did set a bomb in a munitions building near his buddies... "Screwed up" about covers it.

And if he gets glory for that bomb, I want twice as much for at least trying not to kill my teammates.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2017, 03:53:30 pm »

Nothing you said just now changes my statement that wasn't directed at you in any way.

Mind your own business.

If Tiruin wants to explain defend, or reassert her points, she is free to.

As for your arguments in regard to my player's current actions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:30:16 am by Ozarck »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2017, 04:06:57 pm »

Alright, a bunker full of explosives with a live bomb in it is a problem.

A bunker full of explosives that just resisted a fuel-air bomb? Not so much. I'd actually have rated the likelihood of generating that many fires lower than PW evidently has, because a fuel-air bomb consumes a lot of oxygen and messes with pressure so badly that it'll starve most fires of air and/or just the oxygen in the air for a bit, and doesn't heat things quite that bad because of the speed with which is dissipates.

No, I am suggesting to you that when you wait long enough to realize that there's no present fire hazards inside the bunker and that the ammunition is therefore not going to explode, you'll be walking (Or driving) right back into the arms of every single Nazi that remains alive, especially any that have actually gotten clear of the base.

The BUNKER explosion will not consume the whole base in a cloud of flaming gasoline. However, it would make for a very nice ending to the mission. I vote that the man that owes several of us characters finishes the mission in an above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty fashion, instead of running and dooming it to failure.

The EXTRA Nazis I refer to are the ones that usually get called up after a dangerous attack on a secret base, SS or maybe just the local Luftwaffe/Wehrmacht division. You know, the ones in charge of more soldiers from off the exploded base, who want to come investigate the calls for help over radio channels, and presumably also the calls of "OH HOLY CRAP THE BASE JUST EXPLODED" coming from wherever their radio/communications/command center happens to be dug in. Or, perhaps worse, the Soviets, who will Gulag the remaining special forces who should not be acting in this theater, and probably continue the experiments on the children, because they're Soviets and Soviets aren't known for their compassionate hearts.

Thank you, for not trusting me. Thank you again, for proving that you should not be trusted to preserve the lives of your teammates, because "Ooh pretty explosion" was a bit too much of a temptation.

I don't recall actually ever saying that it's unreasonable to think that there might be an explosion, I think it's HIGHLY unreasonable to abandon comrades and children even if there IS A chance of exploding, since you can either save yourself or give yourself a chance at saving both yourself AND the children.

And while yes, his action failed, if it's worth anything to the homicidal traitor who just killed half his team, it's worth GLORY to the guy who got screwed over trying to prevent that from happening.

Of course I read your edited action, if you did things differently I'd have had no reason to continue, since I would've accomplished entirely my goals for the argument----you, saving the children and also helping the remainder of the team evacuate.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2017, 04:18:02 pm »

Ed armed it and placed it, with intention to do damage and reduce the effective force of the nazis. Milo moved it with the intention of preventing that.

Note I didn't say "Ed's plan to blow up Nazis". It was "Ed's plan to kill his teammates and the kids, then run away like a coward" that I tried to foil.

And hey, look, guess who is still trying to run away, while my character is running twords possible danger in the hopes of being able to help the guys that just got caught in the blast.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2017, 04:18:05 pm »

You could probably just douse the fires with all this digital ink being spilled.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2017, 04:21:56 pm »

Probably.

But then I'd have to get a new monitor.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2017, 05:21:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:31:03 am by Ozarck »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2017, 05:35:08 pm »

Damn it Ozarck, be quiet, what are you even doing?

And spoiler your arguments!  I haven't even read yours, but mine is infitely superior due to the fact it doesn't need to be scrolled past!

Spoiler: Someone's butthurt (click to show/hide)

Since it seems like a lot of people may not know this (judging by wording), cartridges that cook off when laying around are not particularly dangerous.  The lip of the casing bursts before much of any energy can be imparted to the projectile, which means it doesn't have anywhere near as much momentum as when fired from a gun.  They do have some minor amount of explosive force when they cook off, though, which can mean an entire box chock full of rounds can make a rather large explosion if they all go off at about the same time (probably caused by chain-reaction).  It's just that the actual lead projectiles are a very minor part of the danger.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2017, 05:36:21 pm »

So, um, the fact that he WAS brave at the start of the mission means that now all of a sudden he's going to cowardly run away?

I understand the realism thing, hence why I prefaced it by saying "I would have rated...", etc. Also, if the munitions bunker is shot up, it's not actually a bunker. Bunkers aren't bothered by antiaircraft cannons, not of the semi or fully automatic type at least, nor by a fuel-air bomb.

Now, here's my point with the whole evacuation/reinforcements thing: If you take the TIME to evacuate and then go back in, possibly after the bunker's high explosives cook off (This takes quite a while, especially when only ambient heat is applied. Re: No flammables in a munitions bunker, so no direct flame, not after the gas burns off. Since it's not napalm, that should take a moderate time),  you'll be FAR closer to the "Mission Complete Failure Point" when a German armored brigade rolls in to see what the fuss is about. Now, it might NOT be a full armored-brigade response, but as you've pointed out, it's a PW game. It's definitely going to be the armored brigade. Also, the Germans were known for using EXTREMELY stable explosives. See the Battle of Jutland and the turret fire in a German battlecruiser, which one I can't recall right now.

As for the "us characters" vs. "our characters", that's me saying "our characters" in my head and making a mistake.

Again, Ed seems badly unstable if he's gone from heroically jumping out of a burning, crashing plane, to heroically running away when the exploding is already done. He doesn't, IC, KNOW that those munitions haven't gone off, does he? You're sure he's not thinking "EVERYTHING EXPLODED!" instead of "Oh my that was ONLY the fuel depot going off in a hilariously unlikely fuel-air explosion and the bunker is now certainly on fire even if I can't see it through the smoke!"

I should've been clearer with the "Trust me" there, because I've had some experience with Tir and she's generally quite collected and doesn't let herself get dragged into arguments.

As for the second set of reinforcements, I mean that the longer you wait the more guys get here. As a general rule, reinforcements in this situation won't be grouping for a counterattack unless led by an extremely competent or extremely cowardly command, who suspects a larger attack.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2017, 06:08:23 pm »

It makes it kinda hard to know what you're talking about when you don't quote the bit you're responding to.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2017, 07:11:48 pm »

I wasn't replying to you.

EDIT: Alright, grabbed a minute here and tried to catch up.

Someone who claims fire is more dangerous than a direct blast does not understand explosives, or storage. A fire CAN set off explosives. For examples of the alternative, look up the fire of the Seydlitz off of Dogger Bank. An explosion, however, WILL set off explosives, because in this time period even the most stable of explosives were meant to be detonated by a smaller explosive.

As for the flaming bunker, guess what? There will be nothing flammable in that bunker. You store fuel separate from explosives. There should be NOTHING capable of catching and staying on fire in that bunker. Granted, there might be improper storage involved, but it's not likely.

Syv, I'd continue to search through your points but I think this one sums up my issues with your "arguments":

and that the ammunition is therefore not going to explode,

That's a pretty bold statement.  Do you not think there's any chance that you're wrong here?

If you did convince Ozarck, and he stayed behind to do.... whatever, and the bunkers ended up exploding to kill him (and the several people he's trying to save ATM), would you admit that you'd make a mistake?

Or would Oz have just got what he deserved?

You BLATANTLY took my words out of context, and then acted as if that was my argument.

Bravo for good debating skills, syvarris.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:56:53 pm by Madman198237 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2017, 07:38:15 pm »

I wasn't replying to you.
Thats never stopped him before~

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2017, 07:57:46 pm »

Made semi-lengthy edit.

PW, helpful comments are ALSO welcome. [/sarcasm]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 39