Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What kind of rig does Toady run?  (Read 4595 times)

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What kind of rig does Toady run?
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:58:57 pm »

Does anyone know? I'd imagine it'd have to be pretty vigorous to handle all the DF work he does on it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of rig does Toady run?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 10:59:01 pm »

I see no reason why it would have to be any better than any other computer that can run Dwarf Fortress, but I'm not sure precisely how beastly it is.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 12:27:43 am »

As I understand it Toady has several testing rigs with different setups, but I've never heard any details.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 09:07:25 am »

Given his level of intelligence I am sure he couples a few physical machines at most with virtual machines as well if he does extensive testing. That being said I am not sure he truly does much in the way of extensive testing given the alpha nature of DF.

As for the power of the rigs? Coding and compiling doesn't necessarily take a powerful rig. When testing and compiling code it is definitely nice but not necessary to have beefy hardware.

That being said his computer is his life in the sense that it is his source of income and he probably spends a great majority of his time on his PC coding so it stands to reason that he has a nice PC.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 09:41:23 am »

How good at swordsmanship is Toady? ;)

Given that most of his time would be in testing, I don't think a super-hot rig would be necessary for compiling (and cross-compiling, for alternate platforms), though perhaps it might be useful not to wait a day for a minor logic edit to get implemented.

Consistently testing on a supersonic machine might not be the best idea, though (probably capped up and down to get past the boring bits of a test sequence, then step through the bits of interest) as his 'customers' won't necessarily have a zippy computer and - though it matters less than in a more real-time gameplay situation - assuming a high-end and overlooking the most horrible lag is likely to be offputting to end-users, even whilst he doesn't realise that there's any such jittering because his machine soaked it up.

DF is at least not as hobbled by bad response as a driving game, or an FPS, and I can tell you from experience that the optimisations (as well as a modicum of hardware upgrade at my end) have made the game a lot less throttled than it was, and yet it was still playable in those darker days.  But that's me, and many of my fellow content early adopters. I have heard complaints about speed, even though it doesn't really disadvantage anybody beyond gluing them to their monitor for longer.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 01:22:34 am »

I'm sure it's nothing too special. He just doesn't run forts for long enough to encounter issues.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Trebor1503

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 10:30:01 am »

My thought is that since he is a PC guy he bought a nice computer when he bought it... but maybe not one with a powerful graphics card since it seems his interests do not lay there.

Since the team's income is donation based my guess is he has probably keeps that computer for several years, until he feels that he MUST upgrade.

Again, just my thoughts based on things known.

Dainz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 07:06:50 am »

I think to recall that Toady got a new rig right before the the 64bit release!

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 01:25:10 am »

Maybe someone can guess the model of this Toshiba laptop :P
It's an old photo though, from the report dated 8th of February 2014
Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 04:51:31 pm »

Is that Scamps, all grown up? Haven't been cyberstalking Toady looking at any of Tarn's social media enough to see many recent(ish) photos.

Has a self-satisfied air of 'Greebo'ness about 'im, minus any disfiguring scars and other wounds. But then that's cats for you!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 05:22:30 am »

Looks like a toshiba satellite (the easy part, you can see satellit and the top of an e at the bottom) and it should be the 14 inch with indicator lights and the chiclet that older ones didn't have, so I'm gonna guess it's an m645 because it's missing some of the intel/recycle/blah stickers later ones have. Possibly an i5, hard to guess which it would be from that pic alone.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 12:47:37 am »

Oddly, given the position of the mousepad, this is a model without a numeric keypad.  I wonder if he redefines the keybindings when he plays....

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 04:05:48 am »

Oddly, given the position of the mousepad, this is a model without a numeric keypad.  I wonder if he redefines the keybindings when he plays....
Or..?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 04:35:38 am »

NEANDERTHAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 10:56:23 pm »

There *is* another monitor beind the laptop, so it's entirely possible that this is just one of multiple computers.
Pages: [1] 2