Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Arcane Utopia RTD [Base Faff: Standard Procedure]  (Read 12228 times)

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Utopia RTD [Recruiting!]
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 03:48:27 pm »

Name: Nar Azzar 
Primary Skill: Golem Creation (animating specially-designed mechanical constructs by imbuing life mana.)
Secondary Skill: Metalworking
Physical Description: Shorter than the average middle-aged human, but quite stockily-built for one of his stature. A bronze bangle engraved with arcane symbols covers most of his left arm. The rest of his attire, which includes a thick leather apron and sturdy protective gloves, is typical of a smith.
Bio: Before the war, Nar worked for GOLEM Inc., a family-owned company of craftsmen specializing in the ethically-questionable manufacture of animated constructs for industrial and military use. He harbours a great hatred towards the insectile dictators, who uprooted all that he and his ancestors had built and gave him a hell-hole in its place. Nar values the security that a stable community provides, and prioritises family above all else (which is most unfortunate, as all his relatives are now dead or on the other side of the multiverse).
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Utopia RTD [Recruiting!]
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 09:47:44 pm »

Prelude: Everything Is... Nice...

The main atrium, like most things bug, is nice. Open but not expansive, bright colors, pretty... clean...

It's gooey. It's so gooey. They keep insisting it's clean but there's goo just absolutely everywhere so you're not sure how they even tell.

You cannot wait for your liaison to arrive so you can stop being just covered in goo at all times for no reason, and relatively quickly she does, gliding in through the far doors like she's too good for gravity. Or, you know, she doesn't want goo everywhere.

She's tall, with a long neck, faintly pink-tinged white carapace, black soulless eyes, and a veritable riot of pink feathers coming off her... back, you think? She's also wearing an elaborate gold and teal robe, so it's hard to tell if it's hair or a cloak or what. In any event, she looks like some kind of wealthy-to-the-point-of-garishness noble. From what you understand of bug hierarchies, she's their equivalent to a down on her luck farmer.

"I'm glad you call could make it!" she intones in a sickeningly sweet voice, the kind that knows perfectly well you literally live down the hall and would be dragged in by guards if you hadn't made it. "Now, do you all understand how this works?"

You all say and shake your heads yes, which is mage-speak for no but I'm doing it anyway.

"Wonderful! I'll just call up the candidates and you can get started!"

She fiddles with a bangle on her wrist, and the center of the room you're in lights up with magelight mockeries of stone tablets. Your possible destinations.

Spoiler: Current Candidates (click to show/hide)

"As you know," the bug continues in a slightly monotone Standard Warning voice, "we highly value your existence, so please do not put yourselves at unnecessary risk. You may assemble teams to explore any, all, or none of the offered destinations. I am required to remind you by law that even though this station serves explicitly as a containment point, it is possible and probable to render you liable for damages in the event that you bring something through that you should not."

She waits patiently for you to examine the tablets.

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Utopia RTD [Prelude: Everything Is... Nice...]
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 12:25:27 am »

"I would like to claim the 8th world as my destination."

Try to determine what preparations we are allowed to make, in regards to materiel, manpower, information gathering, etc.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 01:26:38 am »

Mi-Suzume breathed out. A small smile on their face relaxed at peace ultimately despite their little tremors. Their face confident. Bold and reassuring.
 They were a bastion of protection. They knew they were. They were favoured after all though its meaning had certainly dulled over time and most likely its effects.

Either way. Suzume had her magic and thought it was different. She felt..useful. Like she had a purpose. Ever since that day. God her cheeks were flaring up in a blush now? She hadn't grown as much as she had thought. Eventually after a few moments. She moved to speak.

Her voice held a soft tremor to it almost as if natural the confidence in her voice and the warmth in it managed to balance it out. Nervous sounding but not frightened. Confident enough that they didn't need too much support. This short woman wasn't afraid and the smile they flashed the

"Alright. So Miss? Do you have any advice for the starting locations perhaps? I-I would like to know if t-that at all p-possible I would prefer to not go in without s-some advice! Also D-does the supplies have mapping equipment.

Say the above.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 05:32:39 am »

Karen raps her fingers against her chin thoughtfully.

"All things considered, the 9th and 8th worlds seem the best candidates.. Pardon my asking, but what is a "tomb" world?"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 06:14:26 am »

I'll leave for World 12 as soon as I've prepared some things; follow me if you want to, but I won't save you if you get into some trouble you've made for yourself.

Get some water for the initial trip.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 06:29:57 am »

I'll leave for World 13 as soon as I've prepared some things; follow me if you want to, but I won't save you if you get into some trouble you've made for yourself.

(What world 13?)
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 09:59:03 am »

Under his breath, Blu quickly mutters,
"Highly value our existence my ass."

After taking a quick glance at his fellow "volunteers", and upon hearing a few of them declare their intended destinations rather quickly, he speaks aloud,
"As eager as we all seem to go our separate ways to worlds unknown, we should really consider sticking together. Strength in numbers, and all that."

Ask the liaison for more information about Worlds 8 and 9. Also try to determine what exactly they would be bringing with them in terms of supplies.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 10:08:31 am »

"Eight and Nine seem like a superlative start. I'd just like to thank our wonderful employers on behalf of everyone here for taking so much care over our destinations."

Brian glances significantly round the room, expecting nods of assent. Whether he hears the overwhelming silence or not, he goes on.

"Three seems like a very safe and unadventurous choice, but we're here to put ourselves on the line, not waste valuable resources. I'd prefer Eight, all in all."

Brian prepares to enter Eight, collecting mountaineering equipment and sturdy protective gear if any is available. Otherwise, he just wanders around in a colonial fantasy.
One wheel short of a wagon

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 10:22:21 am »

Karen nods assent to Brian, and assists him in preparing to go through the portal.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 10:25:53 am »

"Well, I agree with World Eight. Hot and wet, but that'll only clean the slime off us at first. Mountainously rough, but we can tame animals or such to get around. Plus, there's a bunch a' life, and the animals are my specialty. On a separate note...there seems to be a small error on the tablets. The word Sterile should be glowing purple, and it does once, but for world 7, it's in red. Lastly, what do all the asterisks mean?"
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 11:42:18 am »

"Me go 'orld Eight."
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2017, 12:55:53 pm »

Nar shifts his steely glare from the repulsive insectoid to Brian, mentally appending the sycophant's face to his list of traitorous bug sympathizers. Things were not likely to go well with this one around.

Scanning through the tablet, Nar quickly realises that none of the available choices could be described as a dream travel destination. He is also intrigued by a couple of strange markers.

"What exactly are ironclad and sanctuary worlds? The latter seems a little too ominous to indicate a place of safety. More importantly, do you intend to provide us with any tools, or do you expect us to colonise a new world with our bare hands?"

Make inquiries. Covertly examine the insectoid's bangle and the tablet set-up. What do we know about the tech level of our overlords?
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2017, 01:02:42 pm »

I'll leave for World 13 as soon as I've prepared some things; follow me if you want to, but I won't save you if you get into some trouble you've made for yourself.

(What world 13?)
(O_o woops, world 12 I meant. Fixed now.)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2017, 03:01:54 pm »

Prelude: Questions and Answers

"I would like to claim the 8th world as my destination."

Try to determine what preparations we are allowed to make, in regards to materiel, manpower, information gathering, etc.
If you recall your boring guidebook right, the answers are mostly none, none, none, and none, respectively. The purpose of an initial expedition is to prove shoving any of those other things through wouldn't be a waste.

That said, they do have something called a Fabricator that can produce simple items for you. It has a weird white, cloudy translucent substance you'd loosely assume is pottery for solids, while its fabric-analogue is an ashy dark grey something made of what you think are overlapping long flexible scales. The device is pretty stingy about the fabric, but will happily produce any reasonable amount of pottery.

Mi-Suzume breathed out. A small smile on their face relaxed at peace ultimately despite their little tremors. Their face confident. Bold and reassuring.
 They were a bastion of protection. They knew they were. They were favoured after all though its meaning had certainly dulled over time and most likely its effects.

Either way. Suzume had her magic and thought it was different. She felt..useful. Like she had a purpose. Ever since that day. God her cheeks were flaring up in a blush now? She hadn't grown as much as she had thought. Eventually after a few moments. She moved to speak.

Her voice held a soft tremor to it almost as if natural the confidence in her voice and the warmth in it managed to balance it out. Nervous sounding but not frightened. Confident enough that they didn't need too much support. This short woman wasn't afraid and the smile they flashed the

"Alright. So Miss? Do you have any advice for the starting locations perhaps? I-I would like to know if t-that at all p-possible I would prefer to not go in without s-some advice! Also D-does the supplies have mapping equipment.

Say the above.
"My advice would be to go somewhere pleasant!

As for mapping equipment, try hardness and color settings on the Fabricator."

You recall the Fabricator being a fancy device nearby that can produce simple items for you. It has a few advanced settings, so presumably you could get it to make something to draw on and something much, much softer and more colored than normal to write with.

Karen raps her fingers against her chin thoughtfully.

"All things considered, the 9th and 8th worlds seem the best candidates.. Pardon my asking, but what is a "tomb" world?"
The bug makes a rather musical trilling sound of concern or disappointment. "Do you not place tombs completely underground? They said you'd get that... Well yes, Tomb worlds are, as far as the probe can tell, entirely or almost entirely encased in relatively solid materials."

I'll leave for World 12 as soon as I've prepared some things; follow me if you want to, but I won't save you if you get into some trouble you've made for yourself.

[4] You use the Fabricator- fancy bug device, looks like an alcove with shiny bits to you- to get yourself a hefty jug complete with a cork. It's of the weirdly almost-translucent white stuff the Fabricator always uses, but oh well. You then fill it up in the feasting hall and are ready to go.

Under his breath, Blu quickly mutters,
"Highly value our existence my ass."

After taking a quick glance at his fellow "volunteers", and upon hearing a few of them declare their intended destinations rather quickly, he speaks aloud,
"As eager as we all seem to go our separate ways to worlds unknown, we should really consider sticking together. Strength in numbers, and all that."

Ask the liaison for more information about Worlds 8 and 9. Also try to determine what exactly they would be bringing with them in terms of supplies.
"I'm sorry, please consult the tablets for all known information. You may bring any supplies you have access to and feel necessary."

The latter is code for "food, personal possessions, and whatever the Fabricator spits out."

"Eight and Nine seem like a superlative start. I'd just like to thank our wonderful employers on behalf of everyone here for taking so much care over our destinations."

Brian glances significantly round the room, expecting nods of assent. Whether he hears the overwhelming silence or not, he goes on.

"Three seems like a very safe and unadventurous choice, but we're here to put ourselves on the line, not waste valuable resources. I'd prefer Eight, all in all."

Brian prepares to enter Eight, collecting mountaineering equipment and sturdy protective gear if any is available. Otherwise, he just wanders around in a colonial fantasy.
[3] You get some decent climbing spikes out of the Fabricator, but it proves stingy with rope.

[1] You try to get some protective gear out of the thing, but it turns out getting armor that protects, fits, doesn't fall off, and doesn't use more fabric than this damned thing will give you is nigh impossible. You leave the Fabricator dejected and knee-deep in white modern art.

Karen nods assent to Brian, and assists him in preparing to go through the portal.
As you recall, the thingy... yes, like most things, the solution is just to sort of wander into the problem, walking through the tablets to the center of the room. A thin pedestal rises up to meet you, and you fumble through pushing buttons on it before just grabbing World 8's tablet (it's not properly solid, but it has some resistance and plays along when you're careful) and stuffing it onto the thing. This primes a beeping red button which you're pretty sure will transport you and everything else on the shiny circle around the pedestal when pressed. You remove the tablet for now to prevent incidents involving the shiny button.

[3] You see him having trouble with protective gear, and manage to get some bracers and a sort of solid butcher's apron out of it. The trick is to not be so picky; it can do simple tubes a lot easier than gear perfectly suited to its wearer.

"Well, I agree with World Eight. Hot and wet, but that'll only clean the slime off us at first. Mountainously rough, but we can tame animals or such to get around. Plus, there's a bunch a' life, and the animals are my specialty. On a separate note...there seems to be a small error on the tablets. The word Sterile should be glowing purple, and it does once, but for world 7, it's in red. Lastly, what do all the asterisks mean?"
The bug gives a trilling cry of annoyance or outrage, muttering to herself as she fiddles with her bangles. You know enough bug to catch the gist of "incompetent bungling morons" or similar.

"Yes, definitely purple, definitely consider World 7's Fertility to be purple. The asterisk means the probe noticed abnormalities with its reading. No, I cannot be more specific as to what those abnormalities are."

Nar shifts his steely glare from the repulsive insectoid to Brian, mentally appending the sycophant's face to his list of traitorous bug sympathizers. Things were not likely to go well with this one around.

Scanning through the tablet, Nar quickly realises that none of the available choices could be described as a dream travel destination. He is also intrigued by a couple of strange markers.

"What exactly are ironclad and sanctuary worlds? The latter seems a little too ominous to indicate a place of safety. More importantly, do you intend to provide us with any tools, or do you expect us to colonise a new world with our bare hands?"

Make inquiries. Covertly examine the insectoid's bangle and the tablet set-up. What do we know about the tech level of our overlords?
"Ah, well, Ironclad and Sanctuary refer to a level of stability that appears to be strongly enforced by external powers. Accordingly, it is likely that these powers may interfere with or, if intelligent, openly object to efforts to traverse and utilize their areas of influence.

You may utilize the Fabricator for any immediate needs, and we have great confidence in your ingenuity!"

[5] The bangle, as far as you can tell, is a control device with inset gemstones serving as buttons. You notice they do not depress and the thing's delicate claws vary between simply tapping them and dragging across them in various ways, suggesting it's a very sophisticated piece of hardware. You also notice that her head tilts slightly from time to time while doing so, suggesting she's seeing things you're not.

[1] The floating not-real tablets are probably a result of vile witchcraft and child sacrifice.

You know the bugs are extremely advanced, but a lot of their advancement is turned inward. They have extraordinarily picky living standards, meaning everything has to be just right for them to even consider living in a place. Even the place you're in now, entirely sealed off from the environment and kept warm and filled with goo for them, is considered frontier territory at best.

[3] Beyond that, you know their advancement is along relatively unique lines. They have some special arts or something, so it's not just a matter of being "advanced," it's also that they have an alien way of accomplishing their goals.

Spoiler: World 8 Expedition (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: World 12 Expedition (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Other Mooks (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7