Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.43.05]Tekkudasmel, Reclaim the Fort!  (Read 2594 times)

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
[0.43.05]Tekkudasmel, Reclaim the Fort!
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:23:31 pm »

Tekkudasmel.

Two weeks. Only two weeks between a start-up fort showing some promise and death of nearly all inhabitants.
But the death was not caused by the usual suspects. Goblins were beaten, no eldritch monstrosities found their way to the settlement, no cursed beings called this place home. Well, apart from the dwarves that is.

Survivors were found, dehydrated and starved, talking about great wealth just waiting to be tapped.
And so new upstart overseer arrived at the site and, gazing at the clay imitation of human castles, so mocking in the fact dwarves can achieve with soft, uncooked clay what humans need stone for, wondered what will he find inside. May Erar have mercy on the poor fool...

In other words I am starting a Succession fort, but unlike most of the ones I have seen here I have already played a turn (or three) and give you a fort with basics set up already, all you need to do is Start the game, and Reclaim that fort.

This is not particularly hard save, suitable for players of all skill levels. Everyone is welcome to come and have some fun.

Anyone up for the game? If yes I'll add you to the list.

As a general rule of thumb we will play from spring to spring unless otherwise required.

Spoiler: Turn List (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:36:44 am by exodius1 »
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: [0.43.05]Tekkudasmel, Reclaim the Fort!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 09:15:16 pm »

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 02:33:21 am »

Well than, here is the save. I would usually say play from spring to spring, but as I do not remmeber exaclty when I stopped I would say finish the year and than play from spring to spring... you are the only one on the overseer list anyway, for the moment of writing.

Remember to [R]eclaim the site from the map.^^
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:02:05 am by exodius1 »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 11:04:33 am »

So, just to keep you up to date, I downloaded the save when you posted it, then forgot I had it for an entire day, then, when I started playing, tried to do something Clever and crashed the game. Don't worry, I'm still going to finish the turn, even if it is with less Cleverness, but I wanted you to know how I managed to waste the last 33 or so hours. :P

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 08:43:49 am »

Shortish introductory update.

TEKKUDASMEL

In the early spring of the fifth year of the Windy Realm, the Aqua Paints from the Papers of Play founded Pickmerchant in the Crystalline Prairies.
In the late summer of the eighth year, they abandoned it. Nobody knows why, but it's believed that many dwarves had died of thirst in the months before this decision.
A few weeks later, Lafo Youthtufted, an elven soldier from Typhoonbend (a forest retreat of the Dead Snake nation in the Forest of Blazing) journeyed to the site and laid claim to the fortress' remains on behalf of his people, declaring himself lord and naming himself the Ace of Diamonds, as reported by a dwarven merchant he met there. Utterly scandalised, Dobar Felltrade, King of the Papers of Play, demanded that an expedition to reclaim Pickmerchant be dispatched as soon as one could be readied; since no volunteers could be located, he made a deal with King Zasit of the allied Crewed Handle, passing the site to them in preference to having it settled by filthy elves.
For their part, the Dead Snake disavow all knowledge of Lafo's claim and insist that, after leaving Typhoonbend, he was never heard from again.

So it was that, on Limestone 8 of the eighth year of the Windy Realm, the newly-formed Afterlives of Fortresses arrived at what they would now call Pickmerchant the Dance of Lightning, or, as it had come to be known colloquially, Pickmerchant 2: Electric Boogaloo. Led by the assertive and heroic (by his own description) Maximum Keymine, the seven dwarves — two warriors, two farmers, a miner, a carpenter, and Maximum the administrator — were hand-picked for this mission, with a broad set of skills intended to cover whatever mysterious problems may have claimed the first settlement.

The first order of business would be to breach the highly-secure outer fortifications so that the reclamation team could actually enter Pickmerchant proper. But before that vital task could be completed, the Afterlives of Fortresses were ambushed by a HORSE.

It appears that the dwarven merchant who heard Lafo's claim on Pickmerchant had left behind his horses in his haste to report the news, and the beasts, not recognising this new expedition of unfamiliar-smelling dwarves, reacted with hostility. Luckily, they were essentially harmless. The dwarves soon discovered potentially less harmless stragglers as well" some of the merchant's fellow caravaneers were still stranded outside the fortress, and it was unclear at first how they would react to the new owners. Ultimately, they preferred to continue cowering in their hiding spots, and the reason proved to be the same which left them unwilling to brave the journey home — the presence of another less-than-harmless local, a forgotten beast named Rubal Whirledechoed that had escaped the caverns to rampage on the surface.
Rubal was a hideous monster in the form of a gigantic eyeless bat with an enormous shell; it undulated rhythmically as it moved. It had already been maimed in earlier confrontations, presumably with Pickmerchant's first settlers. Could Rubal be the reason for the fortress' collapse? There was nobody left who could say, and the creature itself wasn't interested in discussing its history.

As Maximum happened to walk past the place where Rubal was hidden, one of the merchants rushed to stop him – only to attract the attention of the beast himself. With a single bite Rubal tore off the merchant's head, then spat it across the field. Instantly, Maximum shouted the order for all dwarves to flee to the fortress and seal the gate – all, that is, except for the other merchant, who preferred to stand around dumbly, insisting that he didn't take orders from the Afterlives of Fortresses. Meanwhile, Rubal began to entertain itself by tearing apart the merchants' horses, along with some of the local fish population. Before long, though, it caught the merchant's scent and chased him down, crushing his head with a powerful kick. With that, Rubal's dominance as the true owner of Pickmerchant seemed to be sealed - but the dwarves from the Crewed Handle were already inside, preparing.

And why am I stopping there? Because, in the next episode, we're going to confront Rubal, and I wanted to give people the opportunity to claim dwarves before any start dying. There are six available, as listed above; does anyone want to be dorfed?

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 08:50:08 am »

Snip!

Nice! Although I was certain that bastard was dead... oh well, I guess there are some mysteries of the site that even I do not know^^

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 10:49:01 am »

And why am I stopping there? Because, in the next episode, we're going to confront Rubal, and I wanted to give people the opportunity to claim dwarves before any start dying.There are six available, as listed above; does anyone want to be dorfed?

Ooh, me me, I like to die in horrible ways.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:36:19 pm by Bearskie »

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 01:45:41 pm »

Would you like a turn as well?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 10:33:57 pm »

Ha, no thanks. Barely have enough time to work on my own SFort, let alone another.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 12:03:51 am »

I can almost certainly provide that. Meet LitastBearskie Bronzeevens, Wardwarf.
Spoiler: Bearskie (click to show/hide)
For an allegedly hardened warrior, he certainly isn't taking the pile of corpses we uncovered inside Pickmerchant well. He also worships the god of scholarship and, in the unlikely event that he survives, might become our first scholar in his spare time.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 03:28:51 pm »

Snip!

Prey Tell, how is our brave Wardwarf faring?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 03:03:23 pm »

Poorly!
See, the annoying thing about this beast is that it flies, which means that, with it on the surface, we are what is technically known as "completely defenceless". So I wanted to attack it as quickly as possible, lest it take a mind to come inside. Read on to see how well that worked out.

TEKKUDASMEL

Bearskie Bronzeevens volunteered to lead the charge against the vile beast Rubal. In his haste, he reached the battlefield well before his squadmate, perhaps hoping to fell the foe alone and hoard the glory. It was not to be so. Bearskie was quickly overpowered and gruesomely beheaded.

His horrified companion fled back to the gates, then turned in fear of pursuit – but Rubal had been content to hang back and lord over its prey. It was clear that Bearskie's body would not be retrieved for burial, not that it made much difference when the corpses of the previous inhabitants already littered the halls to the exclusion of any free coffins. Maximum ordered that the gate was to be sealed if Rubal made any sign of moving closer, and that Pickmerchant would thenceforth turn its focus underground and leave the matter of the surface for another day.

On the lowest floor of the fortress, the dwarves had discovered a series of strange corpse-themed bedrooms that had apparently been used to save space by combining sleep and burial.

None were particularly keen to try sleeping there, but it was clear that the other purpose would have to be expanded dramatically if Pickmerchant was to be made habitable again. A small store of unused sarcophagi had been unearthed not far above, all of which would soon be placed in the dormimausolea for immediate use, but they would certainly not be enough.

Eager to produce more, and hoping soon to start less morbid industries as well, Maximum surveyed the fort's stocks of raw materials. Although some corridors still hadn't been explored, what had been found presented a clear theme, and Maximum soon came to a decision. In order to give Pickmerchant its own consistent design voice, he declared a policy program he called the Feat of Clay: from that moment on, anything that could be produced from clay, must be. The old settlers had built the entire above-ground keep from clay collected on the site, and Maximum sought to maintain that policy and extend it to the depths as well. With that in mind, he ordered an exploratory shaft dug from the dormimausolea level down in the hope of finding the magma with which clay goods could be fired without needing fuel.

On the 21st of Sandstone, Pickmerchant's lone miner broke through into the great caverns while working on the exploratory shaft. Visible from the point of entry was a deep pit the dwarves hoped led to lower caverns that would bring them closer to the magma they desired. In the meantime, all the corridors of Old Pickmerchant had finally been mapped; the dwarves now knew their home completely.

Soon after, on the 25th of Timber, another cavern had been breached. At some point in the past few months, too, the remaining soldier developed a grudge against Maximum for sending his only friend to a cruel death, unmoved by Maximum's plea that Bearskie had chosen this sacrifice of his own free will. With the six citizens living in such close quarters, the grudge made things even tenser than the monster sitting outside.

Winter struck, and the river underneath Pickmerchant froze. Maximum ordered that ice be collected for inscrutable purposes. Twelve poults, eleven chicks, and eleven keets hatched in the new bird coops. Rubal continued to brood.

The miner broke into yet a third cavern layer, with a more interesting sight: a tell-tale blue glimmer in the distance, proving that the shaft now neared the bottom of the earth.

Finally, in the last month of the year, just as the exploratory shaft encountered warm stone betraying the magma running underneath — a new forgotten beast, Ases Lico Issha, a giant monster in the likeness of a bloated human with three stubby tails made entirely of green glass, was sighted in the caverns amid a cloud of presumably unholy vapors. Luckily, this one lacked the power of flight, and the path through the cavern level it occupied was already mostly enclosed.

Heedless of the threat trapped above, the dwarves opened a hole to the magma sea, paving the way for the Feat of Clay to begin. At almost the same time, as if feeling the heat from below, the surface thawed. Spring, it seemed, had arrived, and with it a new year dawned on Pickmerchant.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 05:16:10 pm »

As I said, I was certain that bat bastard was dead. Good to see you did not panic and kept things under control. And I am sure candy will make the fight a bit easier^^.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 06:59:27 pm »

I bet if the Rubal came in its flying ability would be neutralized, though.

Clay and earthen/fireware...That could look decent, provided no colour conflict from other options. Though I must say my enthusiasm for clay was substantially cooled once I realized that unlike with glass one can't produce most furniture from clay and that you can glaze standard stone things as well - expect for blocks. (Manager suggests you can cut and encrust with tin and ash glaze, but that's just unworkable.)

On the lowest floor of the fortress, the dwarves had discovered a series of strange corpse-themed bedrooms that had apparently been used to save space by combining sleep and burial.
I think the most notable instance of this has been itg's magma-sea fortress with 2-bed,2-coffin marriage rooms (they were a + with staircase in centre). Dwarves loved them (happy thoughts from having own tomb and admiring own coffin), though understandably it takes a bit more effort to assign the tomb to correct dwarf compared to the more typical coffin in a 1-wide nook in a tunnel.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 10:45:41 pm »

Well, ow. Way to welcome the boarding party.

Don't worry dwarvies, Uncle Bearskie will still watch over you. In your sleep. As a ghost.
Pages: [1] 2