Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: no leather from poultry  (Read 2708 times)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: no leather from poultry
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 08:30:04 am »

Hmm.. there is another option. You could also vary the number of skin drops, based on size, and have small animals drop 0 to 1 skin, based on a random chance. It already works like that for meat.

That would have the same effect as requiring multiple skins, but it would require much less  of a redesign of the game mechanics.

Hm, that actually makes a lot of sense.  I like it!  :)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 06:17:21 pm »

Hmm.. there is another option. You could also vary the number of skin drops, based on size, and have small animals drop 0 to 1 skin, based on a random chance. It already works like that for meat.
I can see it now... a dwarf hauls a beached orca back to the butchers and my "first year" leather woes are solved with a stack of 50 orca leather!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 02:16:33 am »

I agree 100% that leather from poultry is unrealistic. I think Dwarven culture is more likely to be one of the cultures that cooks and eats the skin along with the meat when preparing poultry.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 02:40:24 am »

I agree 100% that leather from poultry is unrealistic. I think Dwarven culture is more likely to be one of the cultures that cooks and eats the skin along with the meat when preparing poultry.
And how about everyone else? The world is made up of more than just dwarves.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 03:32:46 am »

Seems to me that for leather production, you should consider the thickness of the skin, and not just the surface area of the skin.  If you made leather armor out of hamsters, it would probably be as thin as paper, similarly thin with chickens, while cow hide or gator hide would be more normal, and something like a rhino or elephant would be pretty thick. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.
Pages: 1 [2]