Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It'd be cool to be able to manually arrest dwarves  (Read 3310 times)

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It'd be cool to be able to manually arrest dwarves
« on: September 24, 2017, 10:49:39 am »

In rimworld you can have a militarized pawn attempt to arrest you're own citizens. Depending on the offender's mood and personality, they may or may not go quietly.

This is useful for pawns who are liable to go beserk, have drug issues, keep getting into fights or for roleplaying.

In DF it can be as simple as selecting a dwarf and toggling "Have Arrested". From there your sheriff/military would take over, provided you have a jail set up.

I feel like this would be really cool and I'm not sure why it's not in the game already. It would be especially useful for quarentining were-things.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It'd be cool to be able to manually arrest dwarves
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 11:53:21 am »

I like the idea of arresting your own citizens, by knocking them unconscious if they resist (unless you specify capture after they are already unconcious) safe enough to drag and put them in a cage.

You could work it into squad controls for "Capture" if you don't want to kill a individual and/or creature so that a 'city guard' used to break up fortress fights and apply beating punishments (often with wooden weapons) could work more effectively.

• Capturing creatures & prisoners alive would make worthwhile and re-usable live training experience for wrestling them until the creature yields or is knocked unconscious
With capturing certain people & things having different consequences (kidnapping citizens/diplomats/traders being civ attitude detrimental) and less a case of baiting or leading all creatures down cage traps.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:36:40 am »

I feel like this should make everyone in the fort rather unhappy if there's no apparent reason to lock someone up, maybe start a few fearful rumors about a nonexistent vampire cult or some other insurrection that could start other troubles down the road if the mechanic is abused weaponized too often.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 10:19:28 pm »

Locking up random people for no reason because the fortress spirit said so isn't how DF is supposed to work. Dwarves are characters with some autonomy, not pawns to order around.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 10:30:18 pm »

Locking up random people for no reason because the fortress spirit said so isn't how DF is supposed to work. Dwarves are characters with some autonomy, not pawns to order around.
Military stuff has always been a bit odd in terms how how that goes.  The player can order them to specific points, for instance, and even order them into a room and then order other dwarves to wall them in, Cask of Amontillado-style.  In fact, that (and similar things) means that you can already basically do what this request is asking for.

Personally I think it ought to be added because of that.  Players are currently using bizarre workarounds to deal with dwarves they feel are bad for their fortress, and while it's humorous at first, it ultimately hurts the game because the game isn't "aware" of what's going on and therefore can't interact with it in an interesting fashion; it also increases the game's learning curve (by adding "secret tricks") without adding much depth, which IMHO is bad.

If you allow players to just flag dwarves (or visitors) for arrest, it'll be more straightforward and the game will be able to have other people in the fortress react appropriately.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:32:01 am »

If you think about it culturally, the dwarves would take it relatively badly anyway, get boiled up enough and it could cause a loyalty cascade over the arrest of a very respected member of society (when you throw in other things like job, social class, guild affiliations) and the lack of upholding the law justly.

So its not really a presentable case for having the feature or against it (you reap what you sow in DF), but in other civilisation models, random arrests and even torture as per suspicion would probably be a normal occurance.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 02:03:19 pm »

If you think about it culturally, the dwarves would take it relatively badly anyway, get boiled up enough and it could cause a loyalty cascade over the arrest of a very respected member of society (when you throw in other things like job, social class, guild affiliations) and the lack of upholding the law justly.

So its not really a presentable case for having the feature or against it (you reap what you sow in DF), but in other civilisation models, random arrests and even torture as per suspicion would probably be a normal occurance.

In this case, could dwarves rebel against the rulers to obtain a Bill of Rights?
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 02:05:17 pm »

In this case, could dwarves rebel against the rulers to obtain a Bill of Rights?
They'll get a Magma Carta.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 10:09:49 am »

While waiting for it in vanilla, you can use Script to restrain creatures if you're willing to use DFHack.

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 12:14:35 pm »

Military stuff has always been a bit odd in terms how how that goes.  The player can order them to specific points, for instance, and even order them into a room and then order other dwarves to wall them in, Cask of Amontillado-style.  In fact, that (and similar things) means that you can already basically do what this request is asking for.

Personally I think it ought to be added because of that.  Players are currently using bizarre workarounds to deal with dwarves they feel are bad for their fortress
, and while it's humorous at first, it ultimately hurts the game because the game isn't "aware" of what's going on and therefore can't interact with it in an interesting fashion; it also increases the game's learning curve (by adding "secret tricks") without adding much depth, which IMHO is bad.

If you allow players to just flag dwarves (or visitors) for arrest, it'll be more straightforward and the game will be able to have other people in the fortress react appropriately.

Yeah, this is why I suggested it, as many people already remove certain problem dwarfs/nobels from society via levers and burrows. The alternative that might conserve some sense of autonomy is maybe a player mandated law system? Although that would have to over-ride a civilization's law system which wouldn't really make sense.

The last time I had to "jail" someone was my mayor who forbade the exportation of one of my few exports, tin coins. After two caravans went by without being able to trade my coins, I put him in a room underneath a waterfall blocked off by floodgates. Locked him inside and basically waterboarded him until he somehow managed to climb up the waterfall and changed his mandate to "create 1/1 figurine" lol

To me this made sense in the context of my fort. The purpose of this fort is to export coins and glass items in exchange for weapons and armor so that it can be on the frontlines in the existing elf-goblin-dwarf war. Forbidding 50% of the goods sounds pretty treasonous if you ask me.