Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Newscience - Discovering a New Universe!  (Read 13359 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newscience - Discovering a New Universe!
« on: September 10, 2017, 04:35:05 pm »

This is my attempt at distilling the process of scientific discovery into forum game format. I've created a new system of universal laws and science that is... slightly different from our own. You can devise experiments, which I will then evaluate the results of.

To start off, here's a few facts about this new universe. It appears about the same as ours, with various continents, large liquid oceans, plants that gather sunlight, and animals that eat those plants and each other. The sky is full of stars, planets, and the sun. Propose detailed surveys of each of these, and differences will become apparent.

I can guarantee that these facts from our universe hold:

• Newton's Laws. Inertia, F=ma, and reaction to every reaction still exists.
  • Conservation of Energy. For some definition of energy, energy in the universe remains constant.
  • Kinetic Energy. The energy carried by a moving object is proportional to the amount of inertia it carries and the square of its velocity.
  • You are not the center of the universe

Propose away! Do note that some discoveries will require others; e.g. the Large Hadron Collider would require superconductor tech (or its equivalent). We are at around the level of classical mechanics - prehistory to 16th century is the period.

I'm not done writing the laws, of course, I'm very much going to be making it up as we go along.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
Re: Newscience - Discovering a New Universe!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 05:21:42 pm »

Let's see how water reacts to high pressure, shall we?
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 05:21:58 pm »

Interesting. I'm assuming that we have telescopes?

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 06:02:10 pm »

Let's see how water reacts to high pressure, shall we?

The water compresses slightly - the volume goes down by around a fifth.

Now, if you're not a physics person, you'd be excused for not knowing how HUUGE this is. Fluids aren't supposed to be compressed, folks. We're moving into literal new science here.

Interesting. I'm assuming that we have telescopes?

Two shaped lenses of glass are used to magnify the heavens.

The magnification achieved is substantial, even at low lengths. Just a few inches of separation gives around 100x.

Experiments

Theories
None so far.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 06:15:07 pm »

Throw 10 metal balls at increasing angles from 0° to 90°, and have someone sketch the trajectory each time.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 06:18:41 pm »

Project Proposal: Day/Night cycle: Does it exist?
Objective: Determine whether the planet experiences a gradual lightening and darkening of the sky, caused by the sun's movement from position to position in the sky. Secondary objective: Determine how long the day/night cycle is.
Expected outcome: Understanding if a Day/Night cycle exists on this world helps us understand the cosmology of this solar system.
Hypothesis: A day/night cycle exists, and it lasts for approximately 24 hours, where the sun moves in a straight line, ascending in one half of the sky, and descending at a point opposite from it.
Method: Observe the sky at regular intervals of approximately 30 minutes, for a period of 72 hours.
Materials: 1 Researcher, 1 Research Assistant, 6 Breakfasts, 6 Lunches, 6 Dinners, 2 Cots, and 2 Chairs (for use outside).

Assuming that my hypothesis is proved mostly right:

Project Proposal: Stars: Do they move in the sky?
Objective: Attempt to determine if stars shift position in the sky over time.
Expected outcome: Understanding the movement of the stars will help us understand if the planet we reside on is fixed in the sky.
Hypothesis: The position of stars will shift over time, eventually returning to an original position.
Method: For a period of 35040 hours (4 years in our world), observe several groups of stars whenever they are most visible, preferably on a nightly basis, if night exists. Record their positions in the sky with a sextant and telescope. At the end of the period, note how or if they shift positions in the night sky.
Materials: 1 Landmark (specifically, large, fixed, and unchanging: ie, a mountaintop or monolith), 1 Telescope, 1 Journal, TBD Pens (quill), TBD Ink Pots, and 1 Sextant.

You did say detailed, after all. :P

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 06:30:09 pm »

Project Proposal: Day/Night cycle: Does it exist?
Objective: Determine whether the planet experiences a gradual lightening and darkening of the sky, caused by the sun's movement from position to position in the sky. Secondary objective: Determine how long the day/night cycle is.
Expected outcome: Understanding if a Day/Night cycle exists on this world helps us understand the cosmology of this solar system.
Hypothesis: A day/night cycle exists, and it lasts for approximately 24 hours, where the sun moves in a straight line, ascending in one half of the sky, and descending at a point opposite from it.
Method: Observe the sky at regular intervals of approximately 30 minutes, for a period of 72 hours.
Materials: 1 Researcher, 1 Research Assistant, 6 Breakfasts, 6 Lunches, 6 Dinners, 2 Cots, and 2 Chairs (for use outside).

You did say detailed, after all. :P

This... this...

Alright guys, I'm not Terry Pratchett, we're not on a Discworld. This was one of those "superficial similarities" I forgot to list in the OP. The sun rises and sets smart alek. And the day is 24 hours long because we've defined an hour to be 1/24 of a day. So there.

The other one is acceptable, however.

Project Proposal: Stars: Do they move in the sky?
Objective: Attempt to determine if stars shift position in the sky over time.
Expected outcome: Understanding the movement of the stars will help us understand if the planet we reside on is fixed in the sky.
Hypothesis: The position of stars will shift over time, eventually returning to an original position.
Method: For a period of 35040 hours (4 years in our world), observe several groups of stars whenever they are most visible, preferably on a nightly basis, if night exists. Record their positions in the sky with a sextant and telescope. At the end of the period, note how or if they shift positions in the night sky.
Materials: 1 Landmark (specifically, large, fixed, and unchanging: ie, a mountaintop or monolith), 1 Telescope, 1 Journal, TBD Pens (quill), TBD Ink Pots, and 1 Sextant.

Almost at the first night, you notice that stars do seem to rise and set over time! A few days and drawings later, you've concluded that the stars don't move relative to each other, and that they rotate with the same period as the sun, aka 24 hours.

Experiments

Theories
None so far.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 06:31:28 pm »

Throw 10 metal balls at increasing angles from 0° to 90°, and have someone sketch the trajectory each time.

Oh wait, I forgot to address this. Gravity holds in this world as well (superficial similarity). And I'm not interested in rediscovering calculus, so I'm not going to provide the sketch.

Just assume the whole apple and genius thing has already happened, OK? We have gravity, we have calculus.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 06:42:39 pm »

I had to ask if we're tidally locked: it'd have some really interesting implications for lots of stuff, especially biology and meteorology.
Also, for the stars question, I was actually looking at a more longitudinal study: does the planet wobble? Does it have seasons? The position of the stars at night change based on the season on earth, so perhaps it does here too. Or, is that another superficial difference?

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 07:20:17 pm »

OS Test #1- Basic Water Refraction
Aim a laser light an a 45 degree angle to the bottom of a rectangular container with a flat stone bottom, glass sides, and no top. Then fill the container with water, and observe how the point illuminated by the laser moves.

OS Question #1- Basic Biology
Is there any known natural life in this universe, other than us foreigners? Does plant life exist? Does it exist in similar forms?

OS Test #2- Oil and Water
Pour water into a glass container, then oil. Observe how the two coexist, then attempt to stir.

OS Test #3- Basic Temperature Study: Boiling/Freezing, and Daily Fluxuations
Fill a glass container with water, provide it a thermometer, then heat it until it boils. At what temperature does it boil, and what phenomena are observable? Do the same, but freezing it instead. Lastly, check what the temperature is in the general air every 15 minutes over a 72 hour period.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 07:44:16 pm »

I had to ask if we're tidally locked: it'd have some really interesting implications for lots of stuff, especially biology and meteorology.
Also, for the stars question, I was actually looking at a more longitudinal study: does the planet wobble? Does it have seasons? The position of the stars at night change based on the season on earth, so perhaps it does here too. Or, is that another superficial difference?

Seasonal variation yes, as here on Earth (superficial difference, by a small margin). I'll note this fact.

OS Test #1- Basic Water Refraction
Aim a laser light an a 45 degree angle to the bottom of a rectangular container with a flat stone bottom, glass sides, and no top. Then fill the container with water, and observe how the point illuminated by the laser moves.

We haven't got lasers, but this can be done with a flashlight.

The beam seems to bend to 33 degrees after hitting the water. This calculator may be relevant for real-world physics.

OS Question #1- Basic Biology
Is there any known natural life in this universe, other than us foreigners? Does plant life exist? Does it exist in similar forms?

We aren't foreigners; we're assuming the position of humans that evolved in this universe. On a superficial level, we appear the same as real world humans, as does most of the flora and fauna.

There's a very common omnivore that looks like a dog with an anteater's snout that inhabits grasslands.

OS Test #2- Oil and Water
Pour water into a glass container, then oil. Observe how the two coexist, then attempt to stir.

The oil sinks below the water; no amount of stirring can merge them.

OS Test #3- Basic Temperature Study: Boiling/Freezing, and Daily Fluxuations
Fill a glass container with water, provide it a thermometer, then heat it until it boils. At what temperature does it boil, and what phenomena are observable? Do the same, but freezing it instead. Lastly, check what the temperature is in the general air every 15 minutes over a 72 hour period.

At a certain temperature, dubbed "100C", agitated bubbles begin to form throughout the water, which then merge with the air and disappear, reducing the volume of water.

At another temperature, dubbed "0C", the water freezes to ice, which promptly sinks.

Temperature in general air is a superficial similarity.

Experiments
Spoiler: OceanSoul Biology (click to show/hide)
Theories
None so far.

Confidence in Science Percentage: 0.5%

Confidence in Science is a general measurement of how confident people are that we can explain the natural world. It generally increases 0.5-1% per successful experiment. Raise it enough, and good things happen.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 07:45:33 pm »

> Develop a means of testing living cellular respiration, thus observing how plants in particular maintain homeostasis and grow. Do this by filling glass tubes with calcium hydroxide powder, a plug made of cotton, then putting plant seeds (preferably peas if we have them) onto the cotton, and then another cotton wad in the tube on top of that. Invert the tubes and set them open end down in a pan of water, so that there is roughly the same amount of air by height as there is water (measure with a ruler).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:48:40 pm by Xvareon »

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 08:11:01 pm »

> Develop a means of testing living cellular respiration, thus observing how plants in particular maintain homeostasis and grow. Do this by filling glass tubes with calcium hydroxide powder, a plug made of cotton, then putting plant seeds (preferably peas if we have them) onto the cotton, and then another cotton wad in the tube on top of that. Invert the tubes and set them open end down in a pan of water, so that there is roughly the same amount of air by height as there is water (measure with a ruler).

Please explain what calcium hydroxide would do in our universe in this experiment. I don't quite understand...

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 08:33:14 pm »

Please explain what calcium hydroxide would do in our universe in this experiment. I don't quite understand...
Calcium hydroxide reacts with CO2 (carbon dioxide) to produce solid calcium carbonate (aka. calcite or limestone). The calcium hydroxide powder would absorb the CO2 respired from the seeds as they suck up oxygen, turning it from a gas into a solid.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 08:36:02 pm »

Calcium hydroxide reacts with CO2 (carbon dioxide) to produce solid calcium carbonate (aka. calcite or limestone). The calcium hydroxide powder would absorb the CO2 respired from the seeds as they suck up oxygen, turning it from a gas into a solid.

Alright. Gimme a day to make up a respiratory cycle... Actually, scratch that. What makes you so sure that quicklime appears in this 'verse? You're going to get something similar to quicklime, and this is going to be fun.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:37:34 pm by blueturtle1134 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9