Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Newscience - Discovering a New Universe!  (Read 13592 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newscience - Discovering a New Universe!
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2017, 04:38:49 pm »

Have we checked if ice floats in water?
Let's check if ice floats in water.

No it doesn't.

Quote from: Archives
At another temperature, dubbed "0C", the water freezes to ice, which promptly sinks.

I would REALLY like to see more chemical speculation, as I put more effort into chemistry than geology.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2017, 04:48:26 pm »

Sorry.

Um...
What if we freeze oil?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2017, 03:04:38 am »

Theory; frog skin is electrically resistant in this universe.

I would write up ameans of testing this but we cannot at the moment until we can produce a stable electric current.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2017, 04:44:17 am »

Calculate the golden ratio, just in case it's different. See if it can be found in human measurements, as well as those of the conch fossil.

Experiments on Selective Breeding & Genetic Mutations by Radiation in Beans.
  • Grow a hundred beanstalks. Select the ten which produced the most beans, and grow a hundred more from the beans from those stalks. Repeat this process a few times. (Hypothesis: the amount of beans in the selected stalks grows with every iteration.)
  • Grow three sets of a hundred beanstalks separated from each other by thick walls, adding a very small amount of radium to the pots of one set and a larger amount in those of another. They should otherwise have as similar growing environments as possible. Repeat experiment 1 on all sets, and pick any particularly odd specimens for a fourth set to perform it on. (Hypothesis: the radium sets mutate faster than the control set, producing more of the good, the bad, and the ugly.) (This assumes that radiation exists at all and that radium is radioactive, of course, but I suppose we'll see about that as well.)

Edit: if radium isn't available, use pitchblende.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:47:50 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2017, 05:15:39 am »

Calculate the golden ratio, just in case it's different. See if it can be found in human measurements, as well as those of the conch fossil.

Experiments on Selective Breeding & Genetic Mutations by Radiation in Beans.
  • Grow a hundred beanstalks. Select the ten which produced the most beans, and grow a hundred more from the beans from those stalks. Repeat this process a few times. (Hypothesis: the amount of beans in the selected stalks grows with every iteration.)
  • Grow three sets of a hundred beanstalks separated from each other by thick walls, adding a very small amount of radium to the pots of one set and a larger amount in those of another. They should otherwise have as similar growing environments as possible. Repeat experiment 1 on all sets, and pick any particularly odd specimens for a fourth set to perform it on. (Hypothesis: the radium sets mutate faster than the control set, producing more of the good, the bad, and the ugly.) (This assumes that radiation exists at all and that radium is radioactive, of course, but I suppose we'll see about that as well.)

Edit: if radium isn't available, use pitchblende.

Why beans/ why not rabbits, or dandelions, or even mushrooms/

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2017, 05:28:54 am »

Because beans grow fast and mutations in them are very obvious. It's one thing to open a pod and count the beans within and another to dissect a rabbit to notice a slightly malformed liver. And in that case the specimen can't even pass that gene on due to being dead.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2017, 07:29:29 am »

Because beans grow fast and mutations in them are very obvious. It's one thing to open a pod and count the beans within and another to dissect a rabbit to notice a slightly malformed liver. And in that case the specimen can't even pass that gene on due to being dead.

You can dissect a bean without killing it, when did that happen?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2017, 08:08:44 am »

Because you can plant the beans within the pod?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2017, 08:11:57 am »

A single bean is not the full plant.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2017, 12:49:30 pm »

But things grow. You can open the pod, randomly inspect some beans, and plant the rest.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2017, 12:52:04 pm »

But things grow. You can open the pod, randomly inspect some beans, and plant the rest.
Exactly. I was responding to IcyTea.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2017, 02:39:46 pm »

Exactly. I was responding to IcyTea.

You could theoretical extract an embryo from an adult rabbit without killing the adult, you would probably need better surgical skill than was common in this time period though.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2017, 05:08:22 pm »

Would it be possible for us to set up something similar to this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelson%E2%80%93Morley_experiment

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2017, 08:45:22 pm »

Theory: Due to water vapor's high reactivity, I theorize that it may be the result of hydrogen bonding getting a reduced force, resulting in the base element being separated with less force. The blue flame points to indium, arsenic, lead, or selenium. As we lack the tools required to test this, this will remain theory.

Experiment 1: Water distillation
   Procedure: Using a pot, a glass bowl, a heat source, and cool water/ice(if we can get our grubby hands on it), fill the pot with 10 liters of water. Insert the glass bowl into the water, and begin heating the pot. Cover with the pot lid and run cool water/ice over the top of the pot.
   Hypothesis: a)It won't explode immediately, due to being trapped in the pot.
      B) This will produce a small amount of distilled water.
      C) The chemistry of the water is so fucked up that it will react with the pot lid in it's high energy state and then explode.

Experiment 2: Water flammability test.
  Procedure: Make a glass retort and fill with 100ml of water from at least five different sources (Pond, ocean, distillery, spring, ice cap) of varying degrees of purity. Heat to over 100C. After reaching a vigorous boil and seeing steam rise/fall out of the retort, expose the gas to an open flame.
   Hypothesis: Purer water will be less reactive than less pure water.

Experiment 3: Vacuum Chamber
   Procedure: make a series of tubes that leads to a Y junction. The left branch leads to an elevated liquid reservoir, while the right leads to a sealed glass chamber with whatever we need the vacuum applied to in it. The left branch has a flow reducing bottleneck to prevent the liquid from flowing through too fast. It drips through. The water drips trap the air from the other branch under them, forming a small vacuum. This adds up over time leading to a near perfect vacuum.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2017, 05:03:32 pm »

We know that liquids can compress, but do they compress uniformly?
Take various liquids (Water, Blood, Oil, Juice, etc) and compress them, then compare how much each of them compressed.

Experiments are made to compress various different liquids under different pressures.

As I might have implied, these things follow Boyle's law - double the pressure, half the volume. I'll note the compression that can be done by a pressure of 1kN/cm^2

Water: 0.923
Blood: 0.878
Oil: 0.976
Juice: 0.902

Um...
What if we freeze oil?

Well, we froze water by carrying it up a mountain to where the air was colder.

We try to freeze animal oil by exposing it to ice, and… it doesn't work. At 0C, the oil is thickening and hard to pour, but still liquid.

It takes temperatures rather lower to freeze it into a smooth white solid.

The golden ratio is the solution of a particular quadratic equation and thus does not change in this universe. Human measurements are a superficial similarity. Conch fossils also use the ratio.

I'll respond to the beanstalk evolution question once I've figured out evolution… and beanstalks…

Would it be possible for us to set up something similar to this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelson%E2%80%93Morley_experiment

With no lasers?

Theory: Due to water vapor's high reactivity, I theorize that it may be the result of hydrogen bonding getting a reduced force, resulting in the base element being separated with less force. The blue flame points to indium, arsenic, lead, or selenium. As we lack the tools required to test this, this will remain theory.

Experiment 1: Water distillation
   Procedure: Using a pot, a glass bowl, a heat source, and cool water/ice(if we can get our grubby hands on it), fill the pot with 10 liters of water. Insert the glass bowl into the water, and begin heating the pot. Cover with the pot lid and run cool water/ice over the top of the pot.
   Hypothesis: a)It won't explode immediately, due to being trapped in the pot.
      B) This will produce a small amount of distilled water.
      C) The chemistry of the water is so fucked up that it will react with the pot lid in it's high energy state and then explode.

You do get a little bit of condensed water, but it is only around 5ml when around half a liter has clearly vanished.

Experiment 2: Water flammability test.
  Procedure: Make a glass retort and fill with 100ml of water from at least five different sources (Pond, ocean, distillery, spring, ice cap) of varying degrees of purity. Heat to over 100C. After reaching a vigorous boil and seeing steam rise/fall out of the retort, expose the gas to an open flame.
   Hypothesis: Purer water will be less reactive than less pure water.

There's just one problem.

You never see steam rising up.

You go ahead and hold an open flame over the pots anyway, and… there's not any difference. We get a huge flame column in any case.

Experiment 3: Vacuum Chamber
   Procedure: make a series of tubes that leads to a Y junction. The left branch leads to an elevated liquid reservoir, while the right leads to a sealed glass chamber with whatever we need the vacuum applied to in it. The left branch has a flow reducing bottleneck to prevent the liquid from flowing through too fast. It drips through. The water drips trap the air from the other branch under them, forming a small vacuum. This adds up over time leading to a near perfect vacuum.

Does this work in real life? I think fluid-assisted pumps do exist, but only when a vacuum has already been created and the fluid is only used to pull the last bits up.

I'm overhauling my archives system, so none here and you'll find them edited into OP later.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9