Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Newscience - Discovering a New Universe!  (Read 13499 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newscience - Discovering a New Universe!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 08:44:14 pm »

You guys DO realize that quicklime heats up enough to light things on fire when exposed to water, right?

This is about to become a flaming, fiery mess.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 08:48:56 pm »

You guys DO realize that quicklime heats up enough to light things on fire when exposed to water, right?

This is about to become a flaming, fiery mess.

This is about to become moot. Chemistry has been beaten up thoroughly.

Nothing matching the description of quicklime exists. And you would know the chemical composition at classical-era tech levels how, exactly?

I actually have a really unique description of the atom lined up. You just have to find it. And I've begun filling out a periodic table too.

Now, if anyone has an alternate means of investigating respiration I'd love to hear it.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 08:53:00 pm »

Um....you're...sorta like beaten up everything by changing chemistry. I'm a physicist, alright? Or, well, a physics enthusiast, anyway. But the point is that I don't recall how chemistry or biology works.

However, I will ask for that telescope to be used to scan the surface of our moon (We DO have one, right? Otherwise life would be much, MUCH less possible on Earth).

Also...
Set up a skywatching program, figure out if there are any planets/not-stars in the sky. Things that don't move with the background of stars.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 09:02:58 pm »

The locations of the stars are found to vary with the seasons. No change in axial tilt or direction (liberation/precession/nutation) is visible.
Just to confirm, this is NOT saying that there is NO axial tilt in the planet, ie, you are not saying that the planet does not wobble? Just that any axial tilt that might exist does not radically change, right?

If so:
Theory: Planetary Axial Tilt
Summary: The planet wobbles on an axis. This effect is related to the seasons, and causes stars to shift position seasonally.
Evidence for: Immaterial Project: Star Watching
Evidence against: N/A
Counterpoint: The stars shift seasonally, while the planet does not wobble on an axis.
Counterpoint resolution: Attempt to see if the sun shifts accordingly. If it does, the theory will stand. If it does not, the theory will be thrown out.

Project Proposal: Seasonal Shifts in Sunrises
Objective: Determine whether the sun's position in the sky is fixed or mobile.
Expected outcome: Understanding if the sun is fixed or mobile helps us understand the orbit of our planet. It could have implications in the question of seasons.
Hypothesis: The planet has an axial tilt, which causes certain parts of the planet to be closer, or further from the sun, depending on the season.
Method: Observe the position of the sunrise on the horizon for a full cyclical seasonal period. Observe if the position changes.
Materials: 1 Researcher, 1 Journal, 1 Landmark (between researcher and sunrise), TBD Pens (Quill), TBD Ink Pots.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 09:03:21 pm »

Um....you're...sorta like beaten up everything by changing chemistry. I'm a physicist, alright? Or, well, a physics enthusiast, anyway. But the point is that I don't recall how chemistry or biology works.

Exactly the same boat! This way, I get to make it up and you get to puzzle it out again! And it's not just chemistry, I've taken a wrench to the fundamental forces of nature themselves so this is going to get ugly fast.

However, I will ask for that telescope to be used to scan the surface of our moon (We DO have one, right? Otherwise life would be much, MUCH less possible on Earth).

Also...
Set up a skywatching program, figure out if there are any planets/not-stars in the sky. Things that don't move with the background of stars.

We have one moon, an ominous red disk hanging in the sky, maybe 1/4 the size of Real Moon. Telescopic surveys show smooth areas as well as a few craters.

We can see three planets so far. One clearly orbits closer to the Sun, one clearly orbits farther, and another wobbles around a single point in the night sky.

Experiments
Spoiler: OceanSoul Biology (click to show/hide)
Theories
None so far.

Confidence in Science Percentage: 1% (+0.5%)

Confidence in Science is a general measurement of how confident people are that we can explain the natural world. It generally increases 0.5-1% per successful experiment. Raise it enough, and good things happen. I'll also implement an element of attrition, to represent slowly declining faith in science if too much time passes.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 09:28:19 pm »

What is the ground made of? What happens when you create friction by rubbing two pieces of wood together as fast as you can, for as long as you can? What happens when you strike two rocks together? Are there different types of rock you can find? What sort of wood do we know of?

Point the telescope at the planet that sort of wobbles in the sky, and watch it for a long time. What does it do, what does it look like?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 10:55:59 pm »

You seem to have missed my theory and experiment? Either way, I've a few more, looking to chart the heavens.

Project Proposal: Estimating the Size of the Planet
Objective: Estimate the diameter, circumference, and volume of the planet.
Expected outcome: Having an estimate of these metrics can help us understand the cosmology of the solar system better.
Hypothesis: N/A
Method: Replicate Eratosthenes's attempt to measure the size of the Earth. Measure the distance between two arbitrarily distant points, one of which is on the equator, determined by the measurements made in the seasonal observations. The other point should be directly north or south. Erect a tall pole at the location not on the equator. When it is noon on the summer solstice, measure the length of the pole's shadow, and the height of the pole. Use trigonometry to determine the angle of the shadow. Divide 360 degrees by the angle, and multiply the distance between the two points to achieve the circumference of the Earth. Use basic geometry to determine the other three values.
Materials: 1 Researcher, 1 Shovel, 1 Pole, 1 Ruler, 1 Journal, 1 Pen (quill), 1 Ink Pot.

Project Proposal: Estimating the Distance Between the Planet and the Moon.
Objective: Estimate the distance between the planet we reside on and its moon.
Expected outcome: This number can be used to calculate further astronomical figures.
Method: Replicate Hipparchus 's attempt to measure the distance between the Earth and the moon with the Planet and its own moon. I will not relate it here, because I'm not very familiar with the math. Use this to value to make estimates as to the size of the moon.
Materials: 2 Researcher, 2 Sextants, 2 Journals, 2 Pens (quill), 2 Ink Pots.

Project Proposal: Estimating the Distance Between the Planet and Cassini.
Objective: Estimate the distance between the planet we reside on and the planet I have decided to refer to as Cassini, instead of "not the close one, the one we're on, or the wobbling one, the other one".
Expected outcome: This number can be used to calculate further astronomical figures.
Method: Replicate Giovanni Domenico Cassini's attempt to measure the distance between the Earth and Mars with the Planet and Cassini. I will not relate it here, because I'm not very familiar with a lot of this stuff. Then, use that method to estimate distances between other planetary bodies, including the sun.
Materials: 2 Researcher, 2 Sextants, 2 Journals, 2 Pens (quill), 2 Ink Pots.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 11:20:45 pm »

I have a simple hypothesis to put out there, perhaps since liquids appear to be acting more like gas is in this universe, gases might behave more like liquids?

Let's see if gases are still compressible, I'm not quite sure of a method for this though.

I do have a simple life should be able to help us out though, try to find the melting point of some common mayerials in this new world via use of a solar oven if those can still be constructed here?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 11:27:15 pm »

Let's see if gases are still compressible, I'm not quite sure of a method for this though.
Well, we could simply replicate Felissan's Water Weight Experiment with an airtight container. Shouldn't be too hard.

I do have a simple life should be able to help us out though, try to find the melting point of some common materials in this new world via use of a solar oven if those can still be constructed here?
As of now, we're not even sure that common elements exist. Apparently, the entire periodic table is different. I mean, ice sinks, apparently. Also, we have the technology to melt most common metals, so I'd not worry about solar ovens.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2017, 11:33:47 pm »

Well, we could simply replicate Felissan's Water Weight Experiment with an airtight container. Shouldn't be too hard.

I do have a simple life should be able to help us out though, try to find the melting point of some common materials in this new world via use of a solar oven if those can still be constructed here?
As of now, we're not even sure that common elements exist. Apparently, the entire periodic table is different. I mean, ice sinks, apparently. Also, we have the technology to melt most common metals, so I'd not worry about solar ovens.

Wait, if ice sinks have the oceans not destroyed them selves, surely the buildup of ice in the lower depths of the oceans would force to water to spread itself thinly over the land, would it not?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 11:43:32 pm »

Wait, if ice sinks have the oceans not destroyed them selves, surely the buildup of ice in the lower depths of the oceans would force to water to spread itself thinly over the land, would it not?
I have no idea. My theory, is that it could be that water doesn't become denser as it cools in this physics, so the total volume stays the same. That, or the core of the planet melts the ice?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 11:52:07 pm »

So when there's a sinks does also compress the water around it? I think we should do some more experiments with water and ice, there's some crazy flippers going on their.

Also we should probably examine some living cells from this universe and see if we can draw any conclusions just from looking at them, obviously fluids behaving differently in this universe will affect the way that cells function overall.

-attempt to dissolve some plant tissue with a strong acid, runs spectroscopy on it? This hopefully should give us some idea of the chemical composition of life on this alternate universe.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 01:58:24 pm »

Alright, there is a list of BASIC EXPERIMENTS above.

I propose that we begin to list out BASIC EXPERIMENTS we should do and ADVANCED TOOLS we should make. The experiments we do now, for the tools we need to determine what we need to actually make them first.

For instance, with our discovery of hyper-powerful lenses we ought to be able to build an incredible microscope here shortly.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 04:26:20 pm »

Measuring the speeds of sound and light:
Give 2 researchers a bell and a flag. Set them up in a field at a relatively long distance. The first researcher rings his bell, and the second one waits to hear it to ring his own 2 seconds later to account for reaction time. The first researcher measures the interval between the moments when he rung his bell and he heard the second one and calculates the speed of sound based on it.
Afterwards, they repeat the same experience with the flags by raising it when waiting and waving it as the signal.
If any signal seems to travel instantly, experiments to measure its speed will be postponed to when we get appropriate material for the experiment.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 05:28:04 pm »

I almost told you that we'd NEVER be able to tell the flag thing....and then I realized that we don't actually know if the speed of light is CONSTANT, let alone if it's faster than sound.

DARN YOU, OVERTHROWING OF THE LAWS OF PHYSICS!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9