Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 125100 times)

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #375 on: January 15, 2018, 11:23:09 am »

Decay: normally ages an unit by 5 years/round. Units with aging modifiers (Unaging bless, Quickness...) will age less or more. At some point, when actual age >= max age, the unit can start taking damage IIRC. Each round an unit has a small chance of getting another MR check to stop decaying.

Spirit Curse/Holy Word: by default, spells have penetration 11, so assuming the caster does not have extra paths or penetration modifiers, it's penetration 11 vs MR 15. You can look at the DRN table.

Stun, as far as I'm aware, always lasts 1 roud.

Don't remember how priest communions work right now.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 15, 2018, 12:05:32 pm »

Thanks! Also thanks to everyone i forgot to thank before.  :D

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 17, 2018, 08:49:01 am »

Funny thing just happened in my game. I'm playing Lemuria and arena event fired late enough to have lemur consul with some equipment. So i sent said consul, who was also my prophet. He was set to buffing whole army with two buffs, then two apostasies, then attack. In on of the fights he fighted Pangea's Keeper of Traditions, who have not very great magic resistance for sacred commander. Instantly apostasyd. I win, but bull didn't die and instead get to his province before going axe-crazy on local wolves. Managed to kill ten before getting killed himself and baffle me with me having minotaur on the other end of the map. Apostasy is a wonderful spell, when it works.  :P

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 18, 2018, 03:49:29 pm »

Do you officially lose when you lose your capital and your god, or when you don't have provinces/dominion anymore?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 18, 2018, 03:51:21 pm »

You only lose once you run out of provinces or dominion, yes. Or when another nation reaches the victory conditions before you. Your Capital, while frequently has unique recruits and excellent gold/gem income, isn't critical to your existence as a nation.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 18, 2018, 04:30:11 pm »

Your Capital, while frequently has unique recruits and excellent gold/gem income, isn't critical to your existence as a nation.
It is also where your immortal commanders respawn (should you have any.) and heroes appear (free commanders with better stats, though they only spawn once.)
In general, while your capital is not literally vital to your nation, you should still try extra hard to keep it. Just like an IRL nation, really.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 18, 2018, 04:33:05 pm »

So, I was reading the manual and noticed some items were restricted to certain nations. How long has that been in? Also, I'm guessing the restriction is only on creation of said items and not their use? (The "cold dead hands clause")
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 18, 2018, 04:42:22 pm »

It is also where your immortal commanders respawn (should you have any.) and heroes appear (free commanders with better stats, though they only spawn once.)
In general, while your capital is not literally vital to your nation, you should still try extra hard to keep it. Just like an IRL nation, really.

Immortal commanders respawn in the province where they were recruited/summoned, I'm pretty certain. Which may or may not be your capital, especially if you have an immortal pretender. You are definitely right about the heroes, but again. Capital is not critical to your nation but definitely worth keeping.

So, I was reading the manual and noticed some items were restricted to certain nations. How long has that been in? Also, I'm guessing the restriction is only on creation of said items and not their use? (The "cold dead hands clause")

I want to say since at least Dom 3, where Mictlan got their Jade Knives to help with the whole 'Dying Dominion' thing they have going on. It might have even been before that, but I'm much less confident on that point. The national-only items only became more common in Dom 4 however, where several more were added (especially later on in development).

The restrictions are on the creation of items and not their use, though obviously not all of them are useful to all nations. I don't think that anyone outside of MA Ermor has a use for the Black Laurels after all.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 18, 2018, 04:49:24 pm »

Is there a way to find out what the "story event location" (red book thing) is a about? Other than on the turn it happened, if you were the one it happened to, I mean.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #384 on: January 18, 2018, 05:07:31 pm »

Is there a way to find out what the "story event location" (red book thing) is a about? Other than on the turn it happened, if you were the one it happened to, I mean.

"i" will give you all kinds of information on a province, specifically the entire history of events that happened to it.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 18, 2018, 11:11:02 pm »

For what is surely karmic justice for what I suffered in 4.27, I got to cast cave earthquake in a multiplayer game.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 21, 2018, 12:15:33 pm »

UPDATE

MEKONE RELEASED

I haven't tested them myself yet, but word on the street is they suck. Not much magic outside the capital, no sacred troops, and everything is expensive. Also the humans get xp-shape but get only small bonuses and lose the slave tag, so it's arguably a downgrade even ignoring the afflictions they'll have by then.
However, Mekone does get pretty good ranged units, and giants with formation fighter.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:33:12 pm by Cruxador »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 21, 2018, 12:46:31 pm »

The loss of the slave tag for Neodamodes is offset by +4 morale (and +2 mapmove), when the best taskmaster bonus is +2, so it's an upgrade, even though you then have to pay full upkeep (3/y->6/y). Note that I'm just looking at hoplites, but I assume the other types are comparable.

The helot phalanxes are dirt cheap and really quite decent for EA when lead by the crazy-good giant leadership-plus-inspirational-plus-taskmaster combination. I think the idea that everything is expensive is fixating on just the Giant Spartans and ignoring the very existence of the helotes. Which ironically feels correct for a Spartan nation, but still.

Also, two size-4 giants per square in full magic-better-than-bronze plate is not pleasant in EA.

There's a lot of interesting mechanics at play here. I like that they finally added a skirmisher tag (which EA Ulm has as well, eep), and the giant assassins are cute, even if they are spawned by annual events rather than recruitment. It seems like a thug nation, which doesn't feel totally out-of-place for Giant Sparta...

(Also, between their inquisitors, national +1 dom conflict bonus, and +2 dom conflict global, they seem like potential domkillers even without bloodsac.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 02:29:54 pm by E. Albright »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 21, 2018, 01:01:55 pm »

And what skirmisher tag does?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 21, 2018, 01:03:37 pm »

It's like the Dom4 formationfighter tag, but for sparse line formation and skirmish formation, so if a squad has nothing but skirmishers, there's no morale penalty for using those formations.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67