Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 125271 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #435 on: February 12, 2018, 04:27:20 am »

Round 502 will be looking for a replacement for Ragha. It's mid-game, and the nation is very strong economically and with good placement.

Round 428 might technically also be looking for a replacement, but it's complicated. Inquire within.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 13, 2018, 08:05:18 am »

I'm noticing that independents aren't immediately routing when their commander dies. What is the mechanic behind this? Is it "X amount of turns until rout", or perhaps an ever-increasing fear effect or decreasing morale?

EDIT: Also, if two nations declare war on me before year 2 should I just give up and restart? Because I don't see winning this unless they in turn get attacked by someone from behind.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:59:02 am by Micro102 »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 13, 2018, 10:04:53 am »

Do you have screenshots and the like of the indies not routing? All armies are supposed to rout when all commanders are dead (assuming they can) so if they aren't then something is definitely up.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 13, 2018, 10:12:13 am »

I'll try to remember to get a screenshot or savegame file next time I see it happen.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 13, 2018, 11:45:12 am »

Also, were your troops already routing when the enemy commander died? Because that's a Dom5 change that I've seen as well; if one side is routing, the other side won't.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 13, 2018, 12:57:44 pm »

I believe they rout only when the next turn tick happens, which could be enough time for a few units to make attacks.

Or to clarify, there are certain effects like say, poison damage, that occur at a larger time interval, roughly that of a normal spell cast (i.e. the length of time in a Dominions 4 combat turn). I assume morale checks occur at that interval, which is also when the game looks to see if leadership requirements are fulfilled.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:03:34 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 15, 2018, 03:43:02 am »

Looking for a replacement player in Bay12 Round 502

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169134.0

One of the biggest nations in the game currently.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 15, 2018, 11:12:56 am »

(It's Ragha, specifically. And they're definitely in a good place, developmentally as well as diplomatically.)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:01:40 pm by E. Albright »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 15, 2018, 11:34:57 am »

How do people play Ragha, generally? Do you tank the temp scales one way or the other for cheap points and just focus on one half of your troops/mages, or do you go for something in the middle that lets you either use seasonal changes or castings of wolven winter/the heat equivalent in order to recruit the full roster?

I remember the Zhayedan immortals were absolutely terrifying in 4, but they were hysterically expensive to actually produce. Don't know what changes they might have gone through for Dom5.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 15, 2018, 11:59:15 am »

The big changes for Dom5 were 1) riderless gryphons are Stupid (think riderless MA Atlantian lobsters, if that helps), and 2) you have to return gryphons to the capital to get a new rider.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 15, 2018, 05:46:51 pm »

They're still quite good though.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 16, 2018, 04:28:28 am »

If two nations declare war on me before year 2 should I just give up and restart? Because I don't see winning this unless they in turn get attacked by someone from behind, and even then, I would probably be so crippled that I wouldn't be able to beat the remaining nations. Has anyone won games like this?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 16, 2018, 05:37:29 am »

I have. Round 410 here had me start 2 away from another nation; rush, kill, and absorb them after expansion ended; and get piled on by 3-4 nations in response. It was ugly, sloggy, and required a lot of conniving and defensive play, but I ended up domkilling everyone around turn 100. It was also NationGen, so we all had somewhat wonky nations.

It really helped that only one of the 3-4 (I think it was 4) wholeheartedly committed to war; the rest picked a few provinces off my borders and made a few strong but unreinforced incursions. The midgame was a lot of holding out until they got their flanks attacked, then clawing back and consolidating my lost territory.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 16, 2018, 01:44:49 pm »

That's a multiplayer game isn't it? I'm talking about single player vs AI. Nor did I get to take over another nation early on.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 16, 2018, 02:59:37 pm »

If two nations declare war on me before year 2 should I just give up and restart? Because I don't see winning this unless they in turn get attacked by someone from behind, and even then, I would probably be so crippled that I wouldn't be able to beat the remaining nations. Has anyone won games like this?
That's a multiplayer game isn't it? I'm talking about single player vs AI. Nor did I get to take over another nation early on.

Declarations of war mean nothing in single-player. There is no diplomacy and you are effectively at war with everyone from turn 1.

I'd go as far as saying that AI declarations of war are pure fluff; the vast majority of the time an AI has declared war on me I haven't seen the slightest change in aggression from how they were treating me before the declaration.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 67