Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 123508 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #450 on: February 16, 2018, 04:48:06 pm »

Not true, actually. The AI has at-war and not-at-war states, and so long as you've never killed their pretender you can cycle back and forth between them (the "You killed our God! This war will not stop..." message is quite forthright in this regard). I could be mistaken and invading them when you're not at war might also lock you into war; can't recall for sure. But as long as you keep strong borders (either garrisoned troops or 20+ PD), the AI will normally be willing to stay in the not-at-war state, and will not attack you w/o declaring war (although they might declare war at the same time their troops cross your border). In Dom4 if they were at war with a third nation they'd sometimes start a war with you if you were sieging the third nations' forts, but that was because they'd consider the third nation the province owner and attack it, but since you controlled the province outside the fort it would set them to war with you.

In single player I've certainly come back from multiple declarations of war to win. As long as you can keep an AI at bay and don't kill their pretender and aren't actively invading them, they will eventually go back to not-at-war with you if there's an easier target for them to attack.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:50:06 pm by E. Albright »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 16, 2018, 07:46:35 pm »

I've managed to get it to that not war state even after killing a pretender. Its easier to think of it as an agro scale that increases and decreases as things happen. Killing the pretender will effectively max out the scale.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 17, 2018, 01:15:36 pm »

That's interesting. I thought they were at a constant state of war once they started. Do they send a message once they have calmed down?

How long does it take and what are the conditions? Does each side have to not conquer any territory for 3 years or something?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 17, 2018, 03:21:53 pm »

No message when they calm down - they just stop attacking, and might declare war again. It shouldn't be three years, but I can't remember exactly how long it takes.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 18, 2018, 12:41:38 am »

That's a multiplayer game isn't it? I'm talking about single player vs AI. Nor did I get to take over another nation early on.
Anything you can do in multiplayer you can do more easily in singleplayer.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 18, 2018, 03:05:03 am »

Well, except psychological tricks and diplomacy, which is probably relevant when you're getting swarmed. AIs are also a lot less loss-adverse, which was the overwhelming factor in the case I cited there. Ofc, AIs also wouldn't have swarmed me right then, so it's a bit of a wash, that...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 18, 2018, 05:09:14 am »

That, and an AI will always manage a large number of holdings/commanders just as effectively as a small number. They never forget or lose track of anything they've got, and will be continuously using everything in their power to increase the size of their doomstack.

Sure, the AI is worse at using any of those assets than a player would be (broadly speaking...), but if they manage to carve out a decent territory for themselves it can be terribly annoying to deal with.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 18, 2018, 02:36:13 pm »

Ok I've watched this battle 5 times and can come to no conclusion other than the crossbowmen are targeting my commanders directly. I have 5 commanders in the middle of archers (in front of them) and cavalry (in the back of them) but by no means near them. Cavalry is on hold so they don't move, archers actually take a step forward to make the gap even bigger. Then the crossbows fire. They go straight to the commanders every time during the fight. If someone wants to look at the save file then tell me a good upload site.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 18, 2018, 03:21:44 pm »

It's possible - missile aiming got changed/improved a lot in the last patch or two, so this could be something that's been there since Dom5 came out but hadn't been noticed when archers shot wildly for the first few months. I could see logic shenanigans like "a commander is a 'unit' like everyone else, and we're gonna target a random unit" leading to what you describe.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 26, 2018, 09:42:10 am »

So a lot of mods got moved over to dom 5, I would suggest we have the next round (503) with some mods (Worthy heros for example).

501 is most likly done in 10-12 more turns, its a lot less messy then 428.

Are Heat/Cold Auras ever worth it? Units spend so "little" time in actual contact/combat before dieing/being replaced, the 7+ rounds of standing next to each other for the fatigue to be relevant is not going to happen a lot (besides SCs and Giants and all that).

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 26, 2018, 10:48:36 am »

Are Heat/Cold Auras ever worth it? Units spend so "little" time in actual contact/combat before dieing/being replaced, the 7+ rounds of standing next to each other for the fatigue to be relevant is not going to happen a lot (besides SCs and Giants and all that).
It's hard to say never, but for that cost, I really can't think of any case where it would be worth it. Same problem as a lot of the new blesses really.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 26, 2018, 01:23:34 pm »

Heat auras used to be able to occasionally set people on fire, same for cold auras and getting the chilled debuff. Don't know if that got carried over from Dom4, but it could potentially take out a few extra dudes. The cold aura was nice for leveling a playing field and letting your dudes punch above their weight, while heat auras could potentially be "fire and forget" (if you'll forgive the pun) by setting human-sized enemies alight and letting them just burn to death regardless of how dead your aura carrier happened to be.

Was it worth it? Ehh... It's more just icing on the cake of whatever unit you'd gone for, rather than the *reason* you'd picked them up.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 27, 2018, 12:07:14 am »

Anyone have a way to make armies I put on the sides of the battle to move forward, instead of right to the center, without having them attack the rear? Because I just watched my guys walk right past the cavalry units right in front of them. I would set it to attack cavalry, but I was fighting Pangaea and it's like a gamble on whether their flanking units are cavalry or not.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 27, 2018, 03:29:00 am »

Well....

No real solution, but as a general tip if a commander has 3 slots for inf (+1 for body guards), feel free to use them all, on all the commands, as long as there is no moral disadvantage, to spread your troops into more squads, which you can give different orders if you desire.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 27, 2018, 03:37:51 am »

Heat auras used to be able to occasionally set people on fire, same for cold auras and getting the chilled debuff. Don't know if that got carried over from Dom4, but it could potentially take out a few extra dudes. The cold aura was nice for leveling a playing field and letting your dudes punch above their weight, while heat auras could potentially be "fire and forget" (if you'll forgive the pun) by setting human-sized enemies alight and letting them just burn to death regardless of how dead your aura carrier happened to be.

Was it worth it? Ehh... It's more just icing on the cake of whatever unit you'd gone for, rather than the *reason* you'd picked them up.
Yeah, it's works the same and it's a nice little ability, I was assuming "worth it" meant "worth the cost of the bless" since that's the only context you'd talk about the auras independently of the units they come on. And unfortunately the blesses are priced really highly compared to the utility of the effect. It's five bless points, barely less than fire weapons. Considering it's barely more useful than +2 attack when it comes to killing things, it's not at all worth two more bless points and incarnate. And chill aura's in the same situation too, except that frost weapons are the same price (but take a scale) and defense is an excellent choice with even more units than attack.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 67