Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 125044 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #555 on: March 18, 2018, 02:54:57 pm »

That, or just mounting howdahs on the giant hoburgs so hoburgs can ride them - and so the giant hoburgs have a snack handy in case they get hungry, ofc.
Gotta remember to pack a lunch! Reminds me of a webcomic strip detailing why they didn't use the eagles to fly everywhere in Lord of the Rings...

I feel like humanoid-mounted howdahs (or even just howdahs in general) are a criminally underused concept in fantasy tomfoolery. And I'd still like to see manned siege engines for Dominions... Something with a nice big attack but human-level HP to simulate the engineer crew working it, which when killed reverts the thing to its base state: Incapable of attack, immobile, inanimate, but with big prot and HP. So you can easily lose its deadliness in a fight, but it can be recrewed afterwards.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 18, 2018, 03:01:59 pm »

Gotta remember to pack a lunch! Reminds me of a webcomic strip detailing why they didn't use the eagles to fly everywhere in Lord of the Rings...

As I have no truck with such filth, I certainly have no idea what you're talking about. Uh, or that what you're talking about is filth. Wait, let me start over...

It would be pretty easy to do the crewed siege engine as a #secondshape/#firstshape combo. There's been a bit more movement in that direction with Dominions between Ragha's griffons and Uruk's Mushussu chariots.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 18, 2018, 03:25:14 pm »

I wanna say elites and sacreds don't get checked, though, as it's basically modified PD generation code and NG excludes those from PD (even though it would be nice if every once in a while it didn't).
Idle thought and probably pointless to mention in practice, but it might be neat if a temple in the province would randomly bless a handful of PD regardless of sacred status, or throw out a spell or two based on pretender paths.

Could do something similar with mage labs, now that I think about it; small number (like 1 or 2 per 10 pd past a threshold or somethin') of random summons and/or a few start-of-battle enchants tossed out, stuff like that. X% chance based on amount of PD for PD commanders to have a random low tier item?

Can't recall if there's anything like that currently in game or not...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 18, 2018, 03:54:05 pm »

Actually, having temples add a priest and/or a small number of nation-specific temple guards to PD (no fort) or wall defenders (fort) would be a rather neat little addition...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 18, 2018, 08:28:48 pm »

Trying out RC2 for NationGen (with, of course, a multitude of thanks for your continued work on it) and I have a few observations:

Regarding ranged units, after several batches of roughly a dozen nations there were on average 1-2 nations per batch with no ranged units. That seems acceptable enough to me, I guess.

(In one case there was a nation whose only ranged troop was their sacred - flying samurai who could also throw a single lightning bolt. Unfortunately, the fort defenders were only normal spearmen of the nation.)

I'm also encountering more nations than I'd expect with regular recruitable troops suffering from old age. Intended? It is an interesting wrinkle (pun slightly intended).

It's been a while since I ran nationgen on Dominions 4, so perhaps a fair bit of the 'new' I'm seeing is from the later Dom4 version, but on the whole I'm quite impressed with what this is putting out.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 18, 2018, 08:35:10 pm »

What races were the old troops?

Also, oh god, I hadn't considered what happens when you have tengu eligible as wall defenders...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 18, 2018, 08:49:31 pm »

I've done some culling of mods, so can only pull up two 'old age' examples: Bandar, and Halfmen. In each case only some of their troops were old, with others of regular age. In the halfmen case there were centaurides and minotaurs old by default, with other minotaurs of normal age (if it makes a difference).

In the case of the lightning-throwing sacred being the only ranged unit, the main race was Sobek.

Though I think I may have found one better: a nation with illithids as their generic ranged troop. In this case the walls were indeed manned with ranks of illithid mind-blasters. No illithid PD in that case, at least...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 18, 2018, 09:13:55 pm »

That's actually not as worrisome; vanilla has illithids on R'lyeh's walls (albeit mixed with melee troops), and mind blasts have 10 ammo so it's not quite as much of a jump as it is with the 1-ammo Lightning Strike. LS is also typically something vile like 8AN damage vs. Mind Blast's MR-based mess.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:29:26 pm by E. Albright »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 18, 2018, 09:27:58 pm »

Good points all.

In this case the nation only had a few token illithid tossed in amongst decently-equipped lizard troops, which made kind of an interesting 'normal troops, but with mind-blasters manning the walls' situation. Also cheap ranged sacreds, which slightly mitigated not having other ranged options. But I guess that's more luck of the draw than anything else.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 18, 2018, 09:29:18 pm »

Forgot to ask, do you have the nation seed for a nation (or seeds for nations) with some randomly old troops?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 18, 2018, 11:05:49 pm »

For the two examples I've kept, yep. Here:

340171066 with settings integer 1. Ugwatbal has the elderly Bandar.

-838800082 with settings integer 1. Nikale has the elderly halfmen.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 19, 2018, 04:17:56 am »

That's really weird because their troops' ages look fine to me.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 19, 2018, 05:59:30 am »

Ok, I tried several times to gen a nation that has some sort of gem generation on temples, I guess its a filter option but doesn't actually appear.

Also...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:34:16 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 19, 2018, 06:33:56 am »

This whole nation generation things looks interesting. Would someone with no knowledge of coding be able to set up an all random nations single player game?

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 19, 2018, 06:43:14 am »

This whole nation generation things looks interesting. Would someone with no knowledge of coding be able to set up an all random nations single player game?
Yes, download: https://github.com/elmokki/nationgen/releases
unzip somewhere, run the nationgen.jar
If you don't have java run time environment installed, it wont work. Link to get it: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html (bit of an IT warning, uncheck most of the boxes that says to install things, you only want the runtime environment installed, not bloatware)
After you run it, set the nation amount to 10 or something then hit start.
It will create a mod in the mods folder of nationgen, copy the .dm and the folder in there to the mods folder of the game. If your not sure where the dominion's mod folder is, in game under tools is the option to open user data directory.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:53:47 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 67