Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 125180 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #570 on: March 19, 2018, 08:19:57 am »

Round 503 nationgen wackyness?

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 19, 2018, 08:51:16 am »

I would be up for it, since 501 is winding down and I want more dominions games for my fix.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 19, 2018, 09:43:13 am »

I would be up for it, I am worried about people with tons of free time finding the most op nation possible...then again, if there is a need for testing, this would do it.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 19, 2018, 10:20:34 am »

The past nationgen games usually had a variety of different ways to select nations to stop that happening. Random draw. A pool of selections with picks/bans. So on and so forth. So obviously a nationgen game would have some kind of selection process to stop people from picking out the most OP nations.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 19, 2018, 10:40:23 am »

The new sacred effects are less exploitable then before, so it is all doable.

In a test game I got pigmen riding a size 2 elephant, with like 6 strenght to it. Once dismounted its just a lil angry elephant with near 0 combat value, but are they ever just the cutes baby elephants.

Now we just need to find some willing fool to do all the hard work for a new round.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 19, 2018, 11:24:30 am »

I'm not sure I'm willing to play (though I usually lack resolve in that regard), but I might be willing to do the game setup part (not admin, mind you: setup), as encouraging others to play NG gets people to test it and give feedback. I'd strongly recommend against "generate 10000 nations until you get the one you want", though; round-robin-draft-2-veto-1 or random seeds are a lot less unwieldy even if they're more work upfront. I'd also recommend waiting until we have a stable 0.7.0 release, though; the current release candidate is pretty close to being there, but it still has some issues we're trying to fix.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 19, 2018, 02:36:31 pm »

The best way I see doing it, set the filter so the primary race is what you want, create 10 nations, look through them for one that fits your play style and practice for a bit to be sure.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 19, 2018, 05:28:17 pm »

That's really weird because their troops' ages look fine to me.

Upon further fiddling, looks like the old age troops was an odd interaction with the "Sites Improved" mod I was also running. Updating that mod changed the problem caused (added additional troops instead of making them old), so I'm guessing there's an ID issue there or the like.

At any rate, sorry for the false alarm.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 20, 2018, 05:47:18 am »

Hmmmmm. I tried the nation gen and basically got an army of centaurs with different weapons, fire resistance, and recuperation. Seemed pretty boring. Was I unlucky or does the generator tend to give very unvaried units?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 20, 2018, 07:42:53 am »

The usual way to balance it is to generate N nations per player and let each player choose only from their own pool.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 20, 2018, 08:07:19 am »

Hmmmmm. I tried the nation gen and basically got an army of centaurs with different weapons, fire resistance, and recuperation. Seemed pretty boring. Was I unlucky or does the generator tend to give very unvaried units?
Quite a few nations that are generated are and will be boring because you have seen that sort of thing before. However...that nation does still sound interesting if you was to take the heat aura bless and cast heat from hell in every fight but that would require either the nation to have fire access or to use the pretender for it.

The differences between each unit wont be much in a single race nation, what I would recommend doing if you want a bunch of unique units is to generate a foul spawn nation. You can do this by selecting the nation restriction tab, select primary race, press the add button, click on it below the remove button, then scroll down and add foul spawn. After doing this you can go back to main then generate a nation. You can also narrow things down with the other restrictions, but do try to remember that some filter options will result in no nations possible to generate, so it will just attempt to generate nations forever. If you see it go above 5000 nations filtered out, you may want to abort generating, which the only current way of doing so is to close it.

The usual way to balance it is to generate N nations per player and let each player choose only from their own pool.
I would be fine with giving it a try.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 20, 2018, 12:46:37 pm »

The individual troops for a given nation will be drawn from two races, tending more - sometimes exclusively - towards the primary. Generate a batch (I like 10 or 40 for various reasons); you'll see more variety.

I also recommend clicking the "generate preview images" checkbox on the second tab, though if it slows generation down too much for you, the wonderful in-game "Create a Pretender" tool in Dom5 lets you visually preview nations even better, albeit not quite as quickly.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 22, 2018, 02:56:57 am »

I just noticed, the nationgen mod used BYOND code/engine.... What does this mean? Does this have any potential for SS13 crossovers?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 22, 2018, 05:53:20 am »

Would be fun if that was how things work.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 22, 2018, 07:57:45 am »

I just noticed, the nationgen mod used BYOND code/engine.... What does this mean? Does this have any potential for SS13 crossovers?

All it means that Java looks like BYOND, but is not. Or rather, that BYOND looks like C/C++ and Java, so one might mistake the former for one of the latter. Trust me, NG is written in Java, not BYOND.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 67