Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 125278 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #630 on: April 05, 2018, 12:08:05 am »

How many misc slots did your pretender have and where they all occupied by other items? If everything was filled or they had just the one then it's understandable what happened. If they had free slots then that should undoubtedly be reported as a bug.

There's no mod that lets you redo turns that have already happened. That behaviour is well beyond the capability of any modder. The turn files should be unencrypted and easy to swap in and out though. If you have a back-up somewhere or can manage to restore the old turn file through a utility then that's good. Otherwise you're kinda out of luck.

Yes the pretender slots were full, but why not just send it to the lab? Why not give a warning? Why not have the items of the deceased commander go into a lab when they are right next to a lab with plenty of our men next to it? Why not have the spell replace a non-essential item? Why not have the spell fail if it would remove a previous item?... So many things could be done to stop this.

And if it's a simple matter to back it up then i think it would be a simple matter to write a mod that makes a backup and sends it to the save folder under a different save name. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of coding.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 05, 2018, 04:57:58 am »

Well, it wouldn't really be a mod then; it'd be a third party utility for file management.  If we're gonna get pedantic about it...

And the game can't define what is an essential or non-essential item, there are far too many variables to consider that the game doesn't even really keep track of. But I agree, it's weird that researchers and other lab monkeys manage to catastrophically drop all their items in their death throes after passing away peacefully from old age.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 05, 2018, 07:35:36 am »

Quote from: Kagus
it's weird that researchers and other lab monkeys manage to catastrophically drop all their items in their death throes after passing away peacefully from old age.

When a mage dies from disease/old age, items are sent to the laboratory if there is one in the province.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 05, 2018, 08:42:40 am »

Spoiler: Patch 5.20 (click to show/hide)
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 05, 2018, 09:23:08 am »

Yes the pretender slots were full, but why not just send it to the lab? Why not give a warning? Why not have the items of the deceased commander go into a lab when they are right next to a lab with plenty of our men next to it? Why not have the spell replace a non-essential item? Why not have the spell fail if it would remove a previous item?... So many things could be done to stop this.

It's Dominions. At some point you just have to throw up your hands and accept that that is how the devs have made the game. Heck, in 3 and possibly beyond people could send you a ton of trash items in a turn to fill up your magic item treasury. Any items you forged in the same turn would thus be lost to the aether because forging happened after trading and so you'd lack the space to put them anywhere. Edge cases and quirks abound in Dominions, past, present and probably future.

And if it's a simple matter to back it up then i think it would be a simple matter to write a mod that makes a backup and sends it to the save folder under a different save name. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of coding.

That would be a third-party utility, not a mod. You are correct that it would be relatively easy to make, since it just a bunch of file checking/copying. Bugger if I know if anything like that exists though.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 05, 2018, 03:59:50 pm »

It'd be relatively simple to code an external save-backup utility which just monitors the save folder and backs up the saves when their timestamps change, provided Dominions is actually saving the save files.

(I do not have Dom5, mind you)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 10, 2018, 05:49:24 am »

When does snow show up in battles? Is it whenever there are cold scales? Random?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 10, 2018, 07:39:46 am »

Unless I'm mistaken, it's whenever you cast the spell rain in a province with cold scales.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 10, 2018, 08:40:31 am »

O sorry I should have realized that wasn't specific enough. When I said snow I meant like the ground texture on the battlefield. Like what makes the ground and background white.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 10, 2018, 11:32:07 am »

Cold scales in the province, yes.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 10, 2018, 05:41:36 pm »

That can't be it. I used woven winter and attacked that province. The ground was green, the province in 2 cold scale.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 10, 2018, 06:42:05 pm »

From my understanding, its a 33% chance per cold scale for snow to be on the ground.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 13, 2018, 09:23:13 pm »

Can anyone think of a way to easily get vampires over rivers? Specifically a D4B4 vampire Queen. Capital spawned completely surrounded by water.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 13, 2018, 10:00:32 pm »

That's nasty luck.  I can't think of an easy way to do it; the only magical transportation ritual those paths give you, Stygian Paths, is Thaum 8 and would require a Skull Staff or some other Death booster, in addition to being a bit risky for the caster. 

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 13, 2018, 10:12:17 pm »

Yeah that's expensive. I'm thinking I'm just going to boots of the planes all my guys out. I have the worst lucky when trying to play LA Ulm. I don't know how many times I've quit because I immediately run into river spam or 20 heavy cavalry blocking every path.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 67