Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 124580 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #645 on: April 14, 2018, 05:25:28 am »

Is the vamp queen worth it for Ulm? I know she's discounted, but at least in Dom4 she was still a very pricey chassis. I think what I did mostly was just take a blood fountain with the necessary death pips, and use the rest of the points for scales (like growth!) and dominion. With the easy high blood skill and bonus dousing I'd just rush a couple counts out of the capital and then start making the Illuminated swarm by building labs everywhere. Much as I'd like to make her work, I'm not sure what a queen would do better in that situation (her freespawning certainly can't be relied upon for anything useful).

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 14, 2018, 06:46:33 am »

They end up costing about the same. Blood fountain with 2 death, 3 blood leaves you with 239 points left over. The vampire queen with the same leaves you with 219 points left over. So you can grab essentially the same amount of scales. If you take death and blood up to 4 to grab bless you end up with 175 for the blood fountain and 163 for the vampire queen. So it becomes a strategic choice because the vampire queen is immortal vs blood fountain starts with a higher dominion. The main benefit is late game where you can bring the vampire queen out without much worry of if it gets killed, unless your up against another astral nation where soul slay is a potential problem. You can grab 1 extra scale with the blood fountain and LA ulm loves magic dominion.

Overall...I'm leaning to that your right, your not going to be needing to bless a bunch of units and your not going to be wanting a front line high death that you cant already get from a few vampires in communion.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 16, 2018, 12:42:29 am »

Blood 4 Death 4 is pretty important for the boosters you get from that, so I tend to go for them. Also, with the same dominion and 4D4B, the fountain has almost 100 more points.

I also read a guide that made a really good point. The vampire queen can help with early wars. Since LA Ulm is strongest lategame, the worst thing that can happen is an early war, in which your god can make the most difference.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 20, 2018, 12:08:00 pm »

So it looks like 502 is looking for a sub for Ragha. Moderately well-progressed game (turn 58), strong position. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM or pop into the thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169134

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 20, 2018, 11:15:59 pm »

The big advantage for a vampire queen in LA Ulm is that you can give her paths your nation doesn't normally get much of and then bring those into a communion. There's a lot to be said for 1-3 pips in Earth or Nature on a vampire queen for boosters (Earth Stone, Armour of Twisting Thorns), communicant buffs (Earthpower, Personal Regeneration) and big Earth/Nature combat spells that can be cast in a communion.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 21, 2018, 01:49:28 am »

Your smith priests can make communion pieces so I don't see a problem with buffing other mages to get those powerful buffs.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 22, 2018, 02:02:07 pm »

As some of you lot had expressed interest in doing a NationGen game at some point, and I said it would be better to wait for a more stable version: NationGen 0.7.0 RC5 just was released, and it's probably what's gonna be 0.7.0 barring any huge issues we find. So now's about as good a time as any if there was still interest.

https://github.com/elmokki/nationgen/releases/tag/0.7.0-RC5

Added encouragement/discouragement:

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 24, 2018, 01:09:54 pm »

I need a favor from someone with Dom5: round 502 needs a non-player to step in and set one of our Ragha to AI. If someone would be willing to do this relatively simple thing, it would be greatly appreciated.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 24, 2018, 05:59:47 pm »

I need a favor from someone with Dom5: round 502 needs a non-player to step in and set one of our Ragha to AI. If someone would be willing to do this relatively simple thing, it would be greatly appreciated.
Will do. Please PM basic instructions. I have used Llamaserver but never subbed in any capacity.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 24, 2018, 09:43:37 pm »

Anyone know exactly what bloodletting does? It is just a heal, or does it push your health past it's natural maximum?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 05, 2018, 01:13:28 pm »

How do I measure the chance to hit of magic spells vs MR?

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 05, 2018, 01:15:56 pm »

Most spells have a base penetration value of 11 + (mage path level - spell path level)/2, rounded up.

So Soul Slay (Astral 3) cast by an Astral 4 mage will have a penetration value of 12 before any special bonuses from items or blesses.

You can look at the DRN table in the manual to see what the % to affect a specific MR is.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 05, 2018, 06:27:56 pm »

This is an excellent tool for penetration calculations. It does communion fatigue, to hits and sieges too.
https://winkit.se/dominions/calc.html#spellpenetration

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 06, 2018, 12:01:19 am »

This is an excellent tool for penetration calculations. It does communion fatigue, to hits and sieges too.
https://winkit.se/dominions/calc.html#spellpenetration

Well I found a new tab to keep permanently open :)

Now, I'm going to try out EA Ulm, and given the number of earth mages I will be pumping out and how badly I will need them, I was wondering if it would be worth it to throw some blood onto my pretender so I can forge some blood stones. The problem being that EA Ulm has no blood mages and it seems to be a nation meant to succeed early, quite the opposite of blood. Does anyone think it's worth it, or should I just go full scales or super-combatant?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 06, 2018, 12:42:06 am »

In dominions 5.01, I would have paid a huge sum for some bloodstones. Ulm's variety of low power magic can really benefit from boosters later on in the game, so a rainbow pretender designed to build bloodstones, elemental staffs and others might be something to try (dwarf is ideal for this). Ulm's troops and earth magic can do pretty well against rushes in the early game, so probably don't need a super-combatant.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 67