Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 123509 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #660 on: May 06, 2018, 09:55:15 am »

If you don't already have Blood on your pretender or a site which grants bloodslaves then breaking into blood is definitely not worth it as Ulm. Too much time wasted gathering slaves for too little benefit.

But if you do have a reliable source of bloodslaves without searching with random commanders then you should definitely start making Bloodstones. They are excellent magic items to have, even if it's only one guy making them on and off.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 11, 2018, 02:41:24 pm »

So does anyone have any favorite custom settings? I've never deviated much from the default as the only reason I can see the point of doing so is making a game easier or harder, and I still have yet to beat the hardest AI.

EDIT: Also, is there a default population increase value, or do I need growth to get more population? If there is a default, how many death scales can i take without nuking my population?

EDIT 2: Also also, what do you guys think about celestial rainbow + misfortune scales?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 05:01:46 pm by Micro102 »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 11, 2018, 06:57:30 pm »

With no growth/death scales population is constant, aside from random events that change things up.

Misfortune is a good dump scale, particularly if you're playing with rare random events. You just have to have an easy way to deal with barbarian attacks.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 12, 2018, 11:40:25 pm »

With no growth/death scales population is constant, aside from random events that change things up.

I.....Need to go restart a game.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 13, 2018, 01:08:16 am »

I.....Need to go restart a game.
Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with killing everyone in the world as long as you win. Just expand fast enough to outpace your death scales and you'll be fine.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 30, 2018, 11:33:21 am »

...still going. Lots of small-but interesting bits here.

Spoiler: Dominions 5.22 (click to show/hide)

It's not mentioned, but looking over the pretender lists a bunch of the older graphics look A LOT shrarper, so it seems KO did some cleaning of old low-res stuff on the sly...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:37:29 am by E. Albright »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 31, 2018, 12:59:06 am »

Would everyone say the game is worth 50 Australian dollars, or is it best to wait for more content patches and fixes?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 31, 2018, 01:16:11 am »

Despite the number of fixes in that list, the game is very stable. It just has an incredibly large number of moving pieces and they sometimes interact strangely... but waiting for fixes isn't really necessary. And there's enough content that you won't have experienced it all by the time more content is patched in. So if you're interested in it for what it is, and think you might be willing to pay $50Aus at some future date, you might as well do it now.

IMO. I was a day-one buyer who's been mucking about with this since Dom1.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 31, 2018, 09:57:38 am »

Would everyone say the game is worth 50 Australian dollars, or is it best to wait for more content patches and fixes?

I would watch some let's plays first and/or read some after action reports first. (The LPArchive has two for Dom 3 which are horribly outdated but are enjoyable to read and give you a basic understanding of what the game is like). As much as I love Dominions, and I fucking love Dominions, I know that it is very much a niche product. Make sure you know what you're getting into before you buy it full price.

But if you do think that the game is for you, then you definitely should get it. The only reason to wait would be to get it on sale. The game already has a massive list of nations, units and spells to play with and is very much stable and complete. If you don't think you would enjoy the game then further patches won't change anything. If you would enjoy the game then further patches are just icing on the cake and you can easily wait for them while already owning the game.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 31, 2018, 10:17:20 am »

I'm a short term Dominions player, I've been playing for 4 or 5 years now. It's just that the small map selection turned me off, and I was wondering if I should keep playing 4 and wait for a price drop.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 31, 2018, 10:29:10 am »

Oh. Well the adding of snow/winter broke a lot of the old maps, so the map selection hasn't improved. However workshop support means that it's easy to collect/install maps from the community. So I would say that if the list of new features and nations doesn't excite you, grab it on sale.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 31, 2018, 10:31:45 am »

Can no longer seduce over unfrozen river

Apparently love does know some bounds.

I'm a short term Dominions player, I've been playing for 4 or 5 years now. It's just that the small map selection turned me off, and I was wondering if I should keep playing 4 and wait for a price drop.

I've always generated random maps to play so this has never been an issue for me. It's a slightly more of an issue in Dom 5 because no one remade the 3rd party map generator that I used in 3 and 4, and the one Dom4 and 5 has just never quickly produced maps I enjoy.

Anyways, I think Dom5 is worth the price.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 31, 2018, 10:34:15 am »

You can also consider buying when it's on a level of sale that fits your budget, but keep an eye on the two hour timer for no-questions-asked returns, and if at an hour and 45 minutes, you don't think it should be interesting, consider doing a refund. I'm not sure that you can really get into the game properly in two hours though, at least in the sense that you won't get a thorough understanding of the breadth of the game and won't see much at all of the depth.

I'd recommend reading AARs as the most effective way to get a feel for the game. I don't consider video to be a great medium for Dominions, although although YouTube has them most plentifully. There are a handful of good Dominions 4 AARs that I could recommend, but since Desura doesn't exist any more, I can't find the links to any but my own. Still, some should turn up in Google.

Edit: took so long on this that I got triple ninjaed.

The small map selection isnt as big an issue as it might seem. All the old maps still work fine, there's just some new graphical features that they don't have. And there's now Steam workshop support for maps so it should become easier over time to find lots of good maps.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:38:58 am by Cruxador »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 31, 2018, 11:35:27 am »

I'd also add that the map generator is a lot better than it was in Dom4, though I absolutely loathe certain things about the maps it makes (foremost being my personal bugbear, connection density). A lot of players find it to be great, and the maps it makes are both less obnoxious structurally and more visually pleasing than Dom4 vanilla random ones. And as Cruxador points out, Dom4 maps still work in Dom5 - they'll just have no winter graphics and really ugly procedurally drawn dominion overlay... but if it's too bad looking, you can turn off dominion overlay in the map filters.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 31, 2018, 11:41:44 am »

I finally looked at the new priests/spells that Arco got and I have to say that I enjoy the life and death theme that LA Arco has going on now. Admittedly I'm not certain how useful some of it will be, like exchanging nature for death gems at a 1-to-1 ratio with their new priestesses, the Lampads apparently reducing troop loses while using Stygian paths or Rhapsody for the Dead being an AoE spell that makes non-mindless undead flee, but it's pretty dang flavourful and a definitely improvement over what Arco used to have. Much better than MA and LA Arco being functionally identical.

Also 'Gift of the Moon' making wolves invulnerable amuses me for some reason, even if it is probably useless.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:35:05 pm by USEC_OFFICER »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 67