Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 125286 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #690 on: August 30, 2018, 05:50:22 am »

I'd like to play, but I still don't have the game. Thanks to the political shenanigans it still costs about three times as much as I'm capable of spending on a game nowadays. Even with Steam's generous regional discount. :\
:(

So, mixed MA\Nationgen disciples, then? Who is, ugh, going to organize\host it? Me, i guess?
EDIT: Genned a batch of 20 nations, as fine as any, i guess? Will probably make a thread later today\tommorow, if no one objects.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mi8cs3lcn0zylzi/vale_of_flowing_magma.rar/file
  I'm kinda tempted to claim dibs on Tissith already, although if i do, i may heavily regret this. Troops are nearing (Magic 0 :P ) Lemur Consul level powerful, but even with order 3, tops you can get is 7 units per turn. Well, it's commander is appropriate, so it's close to lemuria disciple i wanted to try for long time, but did not get\seeked for opportunity. Also, some of it's mages have resource bonus. What do i even need this for, stupid RNG? It's all about recpoints! Ahem. Does resource bonus from commanders apply for allies? If it is, it looks interesting. Also, can mages research in allly's laboratory? If they can, it looks mighty interesting.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:40:53 am by MCreeper »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 30, 2018, 09:17:37 am »

Unless it's changed from d4, I don't think you can research in an ally's lab.

That said, you can have allies build things (and then cede the province (back) to you, if d5 didn't simplify that), allowing you to sidestep extra costs or take advantage of discounts. It just takes a bit of sometimes-fiddly micromanagement.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 30, 2018, 10:02:18 am »

It just takes a bit of sometimes-fiddly micromanagement.
And really, isn't that what Dominions is all about?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 30, 2018, 10:47:18 am »

Bonuses don't apply to allies, no. And fussy province-swapping is still key for exploiting your allies cheaper buildings or more interesting forts. NG supports different fort types, so if you want walled cities but you're only allowed pallisades, your allies may be able to help...

And the beauty of NG is that you don't need to upload the mod, just the seed and your settings - to include restrictions used, if any - and everyone else can generate their own copy. Once you have all the nations picked, you can regen a smaller mod with just those national seeds specified for the sake of brevity.

I'd recommend doing some sort of ordered draft to pick both normal and NG nations (and I'd also recommend more than 20 - I usually did 100 with NG games in the past; if that's too big of a search space, I'd say go with number of teams x10) to create a less admin-biased setup. But I'd also make sure you had a fixed player list before you jump into generation, especially if that will impact how big the nation search space ends up being. You can re-use that same seed/settings combo with a larger number of nations if you really are enamored with the idea of being/fighting ( :P) one of those nations you already generated...

However, it's not my game, nor do I want to get entangled in it.  :-X If first-come-first-served is what everyone wants, my fussy love of order, symmetry. and structure need not be considered.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:49:02 am by E. Albright »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 30, 2018, 11:24:19 am »

Don't forget to screen the output too. There was a Dom4 NG game where an icthyid nation got cheap recruit anywhere D2 assassins.

And the beauty of NG is that you don't need to upload the mod, just the seed and your settings - to include restrictions used, if any - and everyone else can generate their own copy. Once you have all the nations picked, you can regen a smaller mod with just those national seeds specified for the sake of brevity.
With modern data transfer technology, uploading the mod will usually be more convenient, since there's far less possibility for error. Especially since it lets you join mods together and do stuff like write custom descriptions, which I feel is a direly underutilized area of potential role play.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 30, 2018, 12:42:00 pm »

Don't forget to screen the output too. There was a Dom4 NG game where an icthyid nation got cheap recruit anywhere D2 assassins.
Noob question: any (convenient) way to see if unit is recruitable anywhere without making new game and checking if there are recruitables in unforted provinces?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:13:36 pm by MCreeper »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 30, 2018, 12:48:09 pm »

Noob question: any (covenient) way to see if unit is recruitable anywhere without making new game and checking if there are recruitables in unforted provinces?

I believe you can scan the nations form nation gen with the Dom 5 inspector.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 30, 2018, 01:16:41 pm »

...the best Dom5 way to review nations for things like recruit anywhere is to load the mod in the mod menu and then use Create Pretender - the nation overview will show all recruitables as well as sites. If something is not tied to a specific site, it's recruit-anywhere.

Especially since it lets you join mods together and do stuff like write custom descriptions, which I feel is a direly underutilized area of potential role play.

Joining NG mods together manually is dangerous due to numbering and some other reference issues; it's far safer to generate a specific mod with those nations' seeds defined and let NG handle the messy bits of joining them (like custom items and spells).

I completely agree about custom descriptions, though. I was really happy when we did Round 4.10 here that we had every nation customized and described. It really added something.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 30, 2018, 01:23:05 pm »

Noob question: any (covenient) way to see if unit is recruitable anywhere without making new game and checking if there are recruitables in unforted provinces?

I believe you can scan the nations form nation gen with the Dom 5 inspector.
Oh, forgot about that.
...the best Dom5 way to review nations for things like recruit anywhere is to load the mod in the mod menu and then use Create Pretender - the nation overview will show all recruitables as well as sites. If something is not tied to a specific site, it's recruit-anywhere.
Gobbledegook. I thought about foreign for some reason. Yeah. Got it about checking for truly obscene things.  :P

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 30, 2018, 01:29:17 pm »

The in-game preview shows foreign/terrain-limited stuff as well, even though NG isn't doing any of that right now. That's the units to the right of the other ones, with a gap between them. Open Ur in Create Pretender for an easy example.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 30, 2018, 02:34:19 pm »

Created the damned thing. Now, how we will be actuallly playing?  :P (referring to this part)
E: Hell, as theme games go, all the gods having to be a vanilla nation rolling with the Mother of Monsters (or similarly natured pretender) and all the disciples being natgen creations (probably heavily tilted towards weirder stuff) would be like way too on point. Someone should do that.
And how exactly i can do
some sort of ordered draft to pick both normal and NG nations
?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 30, 2018, 03:43:10 pm »

How many players do you have? That's the key point. 4 teams of 2? More? Less? Let's say it's 4x2. Then you need to make your teams, and I'd then pick an order among the teams. 1st team picks their NG disciple or vanilla pretender, then 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th picks their NG disciple AND vanilla pretender, then 3rd picks the one of those they didn't pick, then 2nd, then 1st. Basic round-robin snake draft, so it's fairly fair.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:48:13 pm by E. Albright »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 30, 2018, 07:58:46 pm »

sneky snek draft is best draft
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 30, 2018, 08:30:37 pm »

write custom descriptions
You mean for players to write descriptions of their troops and nation?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 30, 2018, 09:52:06 pm »

Yep. And then have the admin/whatever merge them all together in the final mod. It's easier than it sounds and adds a lot of flavour to the game that you otherwise wouldn't get.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 67