Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 124826 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #825 on: December 03, 2020, 04:02:59 pm »

So it sounds like by making 10 tiny squads of archers/fliers instead of 1 big one, I get to up the chance that I randomly kill a enemy mage? Seems..... abusive.

I made use of this when storming a fortress that had many dangerous enemy mages but few regular troops. Got all my archers killed/routed, but it worked well to spread out my damage and clear the fort for a followup assault.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 03, 2020, 05:00:29 pm »

I can understand the routing, but why the killing? If anything, the routing should make the squishy archers die less as they get to run away.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 03, 2020, 06:27:16 pm »

W/o knowing specifics, I'd assume they were easier to surround.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 04, 2020, 12:44:03 pm »

Also units that rout without their commander tend to run every-which-way so if there were still hostile provinces around the fort, that would account for a significant amount of killed archers.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 04, 2020, 12:55:09 pm »

At the same time, that means it's more likely some will die, but less likely all will die.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 04, 2020, 05:26:54 pm »

I can understand the routing, but why the killing? If anything, the routing should make the squishy archers die less as they get to run away.

Mostly in that it was intended as a sacrificial attack- sending in squishy archers unsupported got them targeted by fort towers, but I was still able to clear a bunch of Gygjas by dividing them into small squads.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 31, 2020, 10:03:55 pm »

For some reason I have been working on a mod for Dominions and I have managed to complete one of the nations. The graphics aren't very good, being a mixture of Spritegen*, recolours and SNES sprites, and the balance needs some more work, but would anyone be interested in taking a look at it? It is about cultists making giant monsters out of flesh or stone to try and conquer the world for their dark god.

*If need be I can replace the Spritegen stuff with more recolours. I looked around and didn't see any warnings against using it in mods, but I didn't see explicit permission given either. Maybe my Googling skills just suck though.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 31, 2020, 10:41:11 pm »

No, one of the intended purposes of SG is to help the community make graphics. Using it in mods is fine as long as you credit the source.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 31, 2020, 10:50:14 pm »

I was definitely planning to, if it was okay to use in my mod. I just couldn't find anything explicit about its use.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 31, 2020, 11:39:07 pm »

I'm not sure it's written down anywhere. It might be. I've definitely heard Elmokki say it in the past when asked, though. And any junk in there that I specifically made (which is a lot of it even though I wandered off about 6mo ago) I have 0 problem with being used, either.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 03, 2021, 06:18:53 pm »

Any advice on a good bless combo with the Fire bless that causes an explosion on death?

I already am using the Earth resistance bless that gives +fire and +shock; thinking I'm going to try Fire resistance bless to try and make sure they are hugging the enemy lines when they explode.

I tried the Blood bless that shares damage among nearby holy units, but that just causes clumps of them to all blow up at once before they are all in range. It might be slightly better than without but not too much of a difference.

EDIT: The Blood Bless seems to keep them alive until they are in melee, but then once they start taking hard hits in melee they explode too many rows backwards instead of more towards their flanks. It does seem like a few explode from a single hit a bit earlier than one would expect from spread damage on a hard hit but maybe I'm imagining it. Maybe it's the pain share plus the explosion from the dead guy setting off the others? Dunno.

If, say, a giant pummels a 10hp blessed unit for 50 damage, and if there are four of the pain share blood blessed units with 10 hp around it, does it kill all 5 blessed units or do they all share 2 damage as that was their share of the saved dead guy's health pool?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:00:22 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 08, 2021, 03:15:37 am »

I played around with fire explosions and you either use it with worthless trash (thats somehow sacred, so maybe 2 nation choices per age) or you pick units with natural fire resistance - explosions that trigger your own sacred unit rarly have a net postive outcome.

I want it to work, but heat aura on trash is just as effective as exploding trash... and far more consistent.

Damage is limited by the limp hit, so for example you take 999 damage to your arm, its gone and you take like 17 actual damage. So for your question, I am giving a uneducated: There is no way to ensure they all take the full damage

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 08, 2021, 03:22:09 am »

If I want something to suicide bomb, I want it to be spammable cheap units. That means weak armor. That means they need more defense so they don't explode to ranged attacks before getting into melee range. So air shield or hard skin. But those are so expensive....

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 08, 2021, 03:44:01 am »

Yeah, there sadly isn't really a viable build to use that I think. One of the better ones would be EA Marverni since as long as you make it to midgame, you will be spamming huge amounts of free sacreds anyway, and often in raid swarms of nothing else. In that context, if they all die immediately its no big deal, and if they took some tough stuff out along with, then it's fine. They have good HP to begin with and get more with Larger, so they can typically tank a few hits on HP alone, and you've got the paths to slap some natural armor buffs on them. However, the death explosion will still burn through them fast enough that you're gonna need something else to ensure the enemy doesn't reach your mages, which means you can't go for the pure build of pigs and mages (and the occasional vergobret) only, and you'll have less to spend on massive mage groups. So it's still generally worse than just not doing that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 04:02:16 am by Cruxador »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 11, 2021, 05:37:13 am »

Hmm I hesitate in case I ever pick up a PBEM game here at some point (because I wanted to see the surprise reaction to this bless tactic) but

LA Bogarus Khlysti

The pain transfer gets them through the arrows, but once one goes up the lack of Fire Res sends a whole clump up at once.

With Fire Res, they are more susceptible to individual casualties as they take ranged fire but are less likely to have a chain explosion.

I think long term once you get Fire Ward and whatnot it would be enough, but that's mid to late game.

I considered Air Shield but the goal is only to have them make contact with enemy toops before exploding, not actual survival. Plus my capital mages shoot fireballs and have the -prec from aging due to being octogenarians with fire path.

The nice thing about Bogarus is that it doesn't have to rely on the bless, but if you can make Khlysti deadly they are CHEAP and in non-capital fortresses. A hero slowly freespawns them too without taking an action, though because of their unrest increasing ability that's not so useful most of the time unless you taxi them away. It's great though if the Patriarch is part of your army and not just blood huntng / researching / preaching with his really high priest level. He summons more mad bombers every turn, so you'll generally have at least a handful.

EDIT: Figured it out

Spoiler: steam screenshot (click to show/hide)

That's the Latus map from the Steam workshop. It's a Dom 3 map that was never finished, which is too bad. It's great for an all nations single player game.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:31:25 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 67