Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 125078 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #960 on: July 15, 2022, 05:22:39 pm »

COULD SOMEBODY PLEASE LINK TO THE MAP?! Google seems to think it doesn't exist.

Bozmos? I think this is the latest one. Not sure though.

Edit: Also you install mods by clicking tools and manuals on the main menu, then open user data directory, then putting the mod files in the mods folder. Same with maps.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 05:27:49 pm by Criptfeind »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 15, 2022, 05:27:19 pm »

With that said, I have an epic game going on the Bozmos map. Its a lot of fun, been going at it a whole month now (not 24/7, but a bit every day). Its probably the biggest map out there, but it looks cool with all the planets and stuff

It needs a 40K mod, like in Dominions 3. But looks cool.
Nevermind, found it.
A bunch of crude copypasted sprites and jpgs is cool for you?  ??? Well, whatever you say.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 18, 2022, 12:19:26 pm »

I've never quite figured out how important precision is on archers. My thinking it they're mostly used in large-ish groups vs large-ish groups, so a rain of arrows will do about the same amount of damage regardless of precision. It's not a single mage casting expensive evocations, where each shot landing accurately counts. But maybe it's actually important here too?
E.g. look at the indie amazon vs the atavi archer. Is the amazon's 12 prc vs atavi's 10 really worth the extra 5gp and 11 recruitment points?
Did anyone maybe do some testing w/r to the varying effectiveness of low vs high precision archers?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 18, 2022, 07:44:48 pm »

Tbh I have done some testing on the effectiveness of increasing precision of my archers, but it's extremely difficult to really get a intuitive grasp on how much it matters from simply watching it play out because as you say archers are normally a large scale thing. On a small scale archers even with a lot of a precision buffs will still miss a lot. On a large scale it's impossible to keep track of the increases in efficiency without more effort then I'm personally willing to put in, so I guess really only like... A LOT of testing and looking into the ultimate results would really help, more then I was willing to do at the time.

Here's my take on it though:

Precision, except for very high amounts of it, doesn't matter too too much. It sets a range where you have perfect (not actually perfect because there's a DRN roll) accuracy, which is where archers and mages are very deadly, but this range starts out very short and you need a lot of +precision to make it large enough to get an extra volley/cast an extra spell as the enemies close most of the time. Theoretically if you have ways to slow the enemy or otherwise keep them in or near this area, +precision might matter more, and there's theoretically break points vs specific combat speeds where precision gives you an extra "perfect" accuracy volley. But I have no idea where those break points are.

Outside of this perfect accuracy zone precision will lower the amount of deviation your shot will throw, but that deviation is on a bell curve anyway, not a hard number. So the actual gain in precision is... Hard to tell? If you're trying to hit a small target it will help more, but you're also likely using the wrong tool, if you're trying to hit a fairly wide area of squares, it'll help less and I think is, as you sorta said, matters less, firing into 200 dudes isn't going to be helped enough by +2 precision to make it worth paying more for it for the most part.

My ultimate take away is pretty much what you started with. Use archers in massed battles (or, often, not, since a lot of times archers suck) Use mages on advance and cast spells :P

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 30, 2022, 05:40:25 pm »

Q: the description of the swiftness air bless mentions something about helping to attack first in combat. The illwiki doesn't seem to have any mention of such mechanic. Is this a real thing (and how does it work, if so)?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 30, 2022, 06:15:08 pm »

It's derived from the higher combat move speed. It only applies to initial contact after moves. When you're stuck in, it won't help.

Quote from: Dom5 manual pg 75
Each unit in combat has combat speed. A move of one square on the battlefield costs roughly one point of combat speed, unless it is diagonal in which case it costs 50% more.

When units move adjacent to an enemy, they become locked in a “zone of control” which remains as long as the enemy persists.

Each unit moves individually, and has a cooldown at the end of each action. After a unit moves one step or strikes, it must cool down a while before it can perform its next action. A long cooldown is one round (after a strike) and a short cooldown comes after a move. There is some small amount of randomness to this cooldown value, but when moving it is mostly determined by the unit’s combat move, so faster units will wait a shorter time before taking the next action. If two units are adjacent, the unit that finishes its cooldown first will get to strike next

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 22, 2023, 03:07:37 am »

If there weren't only two of those goons in the "anime pack", i'd think that modders engaged in silly oneupmanship.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hoshino also has a cursed book that gives her +3 to sorcery, which leaves her with enormous stats, yet only 1 innate astral. Unlike many, i generally don't mind magic duel (since, despite massive playtime, i have never been on either receiving or dealing end of particularly frustrating examples of it's usage), but it's vexing that Not-a-witch-Madoka the Great Destroyer or whatever can get easily destroyed by any decent astral mage, even though it is fairly unlikely to happen.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 03:22:10 am by MCreeper »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 31, 2023, 01:56:10 am »

I found this posted on the Steam discussion forums for Dom5:

http://dominionsmods.com/index.php?showtopic=4240

It sounds impressive, though I haven't tried it yet. The author said it hasn't been balanced for multiplayer.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 31, 2023, 02:20:14 am »

Seen it too, but i have hard time getting past mostly vanilla sprites (usually not even recolored) and obvious jpgs from elsewhere. Nothing impressive about that part at all. Therefore i wonder how it received more vocal attention than most other mods, so to say, any at all. Perhaps it is because of aggresive advertising in place where it does not belong.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 02:29:07 am by MCreeper »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 31, 2023, 05:27:29 am »

It's possible that a lot of thought and care has been put into the national rosters, unit stats & descriptions, custom spells, custom items, etc. and it's doing a good job translating the feel of D&D FR into Dominions despite the author not having the skill to make new sprites or the time/patience/confidence to teach themselves how to.

It's also possible that none of that is true, and it's just overrated.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 31, 2023, 07:14:26 am »

Although some of the sprites are meh and it's difficult to match illwinters best work (although not so hard to match their earlier worse stuff that is still most of the game) I think quite a few of the sprites added by the mod are quite okay.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 31, 2023, 07:45:16 am »

Haven't given it a proper try but it does look quite extensive. That tends to get a nice look from people given how much effort that'd take.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 13, 2023, 03:46:56 pm »

Dominions 6 is officially announced.

We'll be getting more information eventually, but for now the announcement is just that they've been working on it and they're expecting to be finished by the end of the year. Maybe this will push me to finish Vanlaw/Mahinda. Not bloody likely.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 13, 2023, 07:01:35 pm »

That'll probably tempt me to come back to NationGen to help update it to the new version, but I really had better not try to make the time. It will be tempting though...

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 14, 2023, 02:41:56 am »

Had hundreds of hours in dom4. 5 a couple, just didn't resonate. Hoping for 6.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67