Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 124722 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« on: September 11, 2017, 02:11:48 pm »

Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith has just been announced!

I'll post the basic new features list here, and post some commentary on some of the big features for those of you who don't want to or can't follow the link below it:

New Features! (Copy/Pasted from the site)
-Real time combat
-Per unit combat logs
-Design your pretender's bless effect
-Priest's banishment and smite spells will depend on what type of god he follows
-History playback when game is over, see how dominion spread and provinces changed owners
-New random maps with bridges and better looking terrains
-New resource system with recruitment points that encourages recruiting in highly populated areas
-Fortifications built by starting at the basic type, then upgrading it later
-New research queue, researching is now one school at a time
-New movement system
-Winter shown on map and affects movement
-Dominion overlay on map to clearly show its boundaries
-New retreat system, good leaders can prevent units from dispersing in all directions
-Updated user interface with information more clearly presented than before
-New 3d-engine with better looking terrain, huge performance increase for good graphics cards
-More reliable network, now works on less than perfect connections too
-New nations
-Some old nations have been reworked and updated
-More spells, magic items, special abilities, events, monsters, titles, thrones, ....

Real time combat!
The turn based system is gone! No longer do you have to fear advancing into Turn 1 Rain of Stones or Earthquake Spam!

Both sides go simultaneously, and unit attack order is based upon RNG. Also, spells now have a casting time, and there was mentions of being able to interupt a spell if you damage the caster too.
Oh right, you also get to see the glory of all your fireballs being launched. At the same time.

Finally, shields can be broken if hit really hard now. Minor, but a bit of a nerf to EA Ermor, Sceleria and Pythium isn't it?

Design your Bless!
No longer does a N9E4 Pretender mean your bless is 10% regen, +8 max hp, and -2 fatigue/turn!

It now operates under a point-buy system, with your points dependent on your magic paths! So a N9E4 pretender has 9 nature points and 4 earth points to spend. At least, that's what I interpreted from one of the screenshots anyway. Some bless effects are quite cheap, for instance said screenshot showed a 'Magic Weapons' bless effect for 2S, so Rainbow Pretenders just got more viable, as X4 isn't the minimum for a bless effect anymore. I was wrong, you still need X4 to get bless points, but F3W3A3E3 and S3D3N3B3 will also count to give you points.

It also bears noting that the more powerful bless effects require your Pretender to be physically present in the world to take effect; if they're busy napping, being imprisoned, or just plain dead, your sacred units will not benefit from that bless effect! At the same time, some effects are passive, and will affect your sacred units even if they aren't blessed! Waterbreathing and 'Larger' were some examples presented of these.

With this system, you never know if that F9 god has one or two really big bless effects or a bunch of little ones, which makes things more fun!

Oh right, while technically not related to blessings, but your priests will get fun new spells based on your Pretenders magic paths. It'd make sense for a priest of a god of fire to be able to burn things yeah?

Recruitment and Command Points
Recruitment is a new resource attached to provinces just like income and resources, and will represent just how many people the province can spare to join your armies.

It's fairly simple, isn't it? A province with 50 iron mines but only 100 people just wouldn't be able to spare the manpower to join the army, in spite of being able to produce more than enough equipment to outfit an entire legion in just a month!

Forts can boost the recruitment points available, but no news on if it can pull it from adjacent provinces like they do for resources.

One last thing: Calvary will no longer cost as much gold, instead they will use up additional recruitment points!

With the introduction of Command Points, Slow to Recruit seems to be a thing of the past; and it seems to be technically possible to recruit multiple commanders per province per turn now, but no confirmation.

Scouts, normal commanders, and weak priests will only cost 1 command point, according to the preview info, but mages and stronger priests will cost 2 command points. Exceptionally strong mages, likely those that are currently StR, will cost 4.

That being said provinces will only have 1 command point by default, forts (not palisades apparently) can raise it to 2, with Citadels being able to give a province 3 Command Points per turn. The mention of mages that cost 4 Command Points implies that these will work like resources, so you'll be able to recruit your mages from a palisade even if they cost 2 or 3 points, you just have to accept only being able to recruit one every 2 or 3 turns.

And speaking of forts, you can't just start building a citadel now, you have to start from the bottom, and then upgrade the fort to the higher tier options.

Release Date? OMG JILLADILLA WHEN IS THE RELEASE DATE?!
They said that if everything goes as planned that they will release in the beginning of November on Steam, with PC, Mac, and Linux versions being released simultaneously. Oh, and they said that there is more information on changes that will be released in the days to come, so stay tuned!

RELEASE DATE ANNOUNCED! NOVEMBER 27th (or 28th, time zone shenanigans I think)!

I'll try to stay on the ball with updates, but please, feel free to point things out if it seems like I've dropped the ball ok?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 06:35:37 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Announced!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 02:23:28 pm »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:39:54 pm »

Hah. And I was just showing a friend Dom4 this weekend and being like "Yeah, every single Dom game has been a slight alteration over the previous game that they sell for full price."

Seems like this time it's actually getting an overhaul.

AND coming in November? Man.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:43:39 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 02:52:34 pm »

Great  news!

RNG order is great, simulates simultaneity!
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 03:00:27 pm »

The new fort mechanics look more sensible too; it always seemed weird to me that more technologically advanced nations forgot how to build cheap forts, and so were stuck building one-size-fits-all citadels on places they'd never be attacked.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 03:03:07 pm »

Really glad to hear abut the Recruitment Points, by the way. I've always felt population was underrepresented in its effect on your ability to recruit, other than its impact on available resources. While I don't really like a stand alone recruitment point resource because it feels a little too gamey, it is addressing a short coming of the game. When every province and can out 8 guys per turn at a minimum, that becomes a little too much spam to handle.

The new fort mechanics look more sensible too; it always seemed weird to me that more technologically advanced nations forgot how to build cheap forts, and so were stuck building one-size-fits-all citadels on places they'd never be attacked.

I will kind of miss building individual upgrades. I liked the sense that they and their upgrades were modular. Just upgrading a fort to the next level is certainly simpler though.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 03:04:38 pm »

I will kind of miss building individual upgrades. I liked the sense that they and their upgrades were modular. Just upgrading a fort to the next level is certainly simpler though.
Personally, I rather hope roads at least remain, preferably shifted to build-anywhere.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 03:09:46 pm »

I may not be enough of a Dom player to truly appreciate roads, but I always felt like they had a negligible impact. Everyone moved at least 1 province per turn and it was rare anyone traveling through a city in my games got 2 moves due to roads, it was almost always due to their innate mobility.

Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me though that roads will be baked in to the map. Like, is where roads exist going to dictate partly where you should build your fort?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 03:18:04 pm »

I always thought, in my experience, that a significant part of the reason they had negligible impact was that you needed a fortification to build them.  A cost of 800-1400 gold for reducing the terrain move cost in rough terrain wasn't particularly impressive, and spamming adjacent forts also had the effect of cutting resource allocations per fort as the same amount of resources was distributed across more and more forts.  If roads could be built without constructing forts, though, 200 gold would seem much more reasonable. 

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 03:21:58 pm »

There is no interface improvements on that list sadly.
Better ways of managing units and commanders would be nice as well.
Such a chore to add units to one of  your 50 identical commanders in the troops list.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 03:26:13 pm »

Well the troop assignment and orders layout does look different. Seems each row of commanders is better spaced and separated from the others. Better "enough"? Guess we'll see.

Really I want a better F1 overview menu. It works but it's still a visual eyestrain to sort through when you've got 60+ province in your empire. Really needs tooltips and the ability to do things like upgrade province defense directly from the menu instead of having to go to the province itself.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 03:34:22 pm »

Really I want a better F1 overview menu. It works but it's still a visual eyestrain to sort through when you've got 60+ province in your empire. Really needs tooltips and the ability to do things like upgrade province defense directly from the menu instead of having to go to the province itself.
Next time you're in the F1 overview menu, click the number for the defense.  You may be pleasantly surprised. :P

But seriously, it would really be nice to have more visual indicators, though, like something that makes it visually clear that the defense number alone of the available numbers can actually be clicked.  Sorting by key information such as unrest, path searches, commander names, force strength, commander paths, or dominion strength (buried in the details option) would also be helpful, as would indicators for details like provinces you're actively besieging or that you are actively besieged in. 

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 03:36:01 pm »

Huh, maybe guess I haven't tried it since Dom 3.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 03:48:50 pm »

Is that actually confirmed to be gone? The system described doesn't preclude it, but I'm not in the beta so if you have more info than I do, by all means tell us.

Personally, I rather hope roads at least remain, preferably shifted to build-anywhere.
Roads definitely remain, since I heard someone mentioning how they relate to the new movement system; they reduce the movement cost of terrain by 4.

There is no interface improvements on that list sadly.
Better ways of managing units and commanders would be nice as well.
Such a chore to add units to one of  your 50 identical commanders in the troops list.
Interface is totally redone, though I'm afraid I don't know the specifics.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 04:17:02 pm »

Is that actually confirmed to be gone? The system described doesn't preclude it, but I'm not in the beta so if you have more info than I do, by all means tell us.

It wasn't specifically mentioned and with roads no longer being a building option....I'm inferring though, it hasn't been 100% confirmed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 67