Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 124643 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Announced!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 04:30:03 pm »

I will kind of miss building individual upgrades. I liked the sense that they and their upgrades were modular. Just upgrading a fort to the next level is certainly simpler though.
Personally, I rather hope roads at least remain, preferably shifted to build-anywhere.
Roads definitely remain, since I heard someone mentioning how they relate to the new movement system; they reduce the movement cost of terrain by 4.
Hee, thanks. I noticed the thread linked both in the other thread and here after, which also added that they aren't build-anywhere; they're now map features.  Ah well, it was never more than a forlorn hope to start with. ^_^

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 05:59:06 pm »

The more I look at the new game map, the more it kind of seems like a visual downgrade. Sure we're going to get all these useful overlays but the blending between provinces is like....non-existent. Forests fill out to the very edge of the province and stick out visually like a sore thumb.

Like, maybe I've just been using RanDom for too long and aren't used to vanilla Illwinter maps, but what they're showing is kind of on the fugly side, despite everything else in game that looks way nicer now. (Especially the battle maps.)

Unrelated, but I dig the way your Pretender subtitles are now display prominently under the main screen title bar.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 06:05:08 pm »

By what I've read, old-style maps will still be possible/usable; the game will just guess province edges for filling out visual map changes.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 01:27:28 pm »

Huh. Don't think I was expecting D5, but it's a fairly pleasant surprise (or will be, onces it's released and I can actually afford to buy it :P) anyway.

... will say that performance improvement for better graphics card thing seems sketchy as all hell, though. As a person that has a fairly shitty one on a definitely shitty computer, experience tends to suggest that kind of statement means "It will now run like complete ass instead of just mostly ass for you, if it runs at all" for us poor bastards. Hopefully it doesn't end up like that.

Beyond that... anyone know if mention of modding has been made, yet? Still that one D3 mod I've been hoping will eventually bug me enough to port over, and I can't imagine that'll be easier from 3 to 5, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 01:37:49 pm »

Apparently modding isn't really being subjected to the beta testers yet, but there are a number of mod-happy individuals among their numbers.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 02:00:47 pm »

Someone on reddit posted a recording of the new combat

Apparently, it isn't okay to post video material yet so the uploader removed the video.

Quote from: rmdw45 in dom4's reddit
Sorry, I just noticed that the devs have okayed screenshots and discussion but not video at this point. To respect their wishes I'm taking this video down. Besides, bigmcstrongmuscles' description above is accurate: you still give orders before the battle just like in Dom4, but now everyone's turn happens all at the same time. Among other things, it tends to make it easier for e.g. cavalry and tramplers to get in the first strike, and shooting arrows or fireballs at a moving target seems to be more difficult.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 02:38:07 pm »

Damn I was hoping to watch that. ><
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 03:40:29 pm »

The more I look at the new game map, the more it kind of seems like a visual downgrade. Sure we're going to get all these useful overlays but the blending between provinces is like....non-existent. Forests fill out to the very edge of the province and stick out visually like a sore thumb.

Like, maybe I've just been using RanDom for too long and aren't used to vanilla Illwinter maps, but what they're showing is kind of on the fugly side, despite everything else in game that looks way nicer now. (Especially the battle maps.)

Unrelated, but I dig the way your Pretender subtitles are now display prominently under the main screen title bar.
I mean, who uses the default random maps anyway though? I can't remember the last time I've done so except for testing things in singleplayer.

Someone on reddit posted a recording of the new combat

Apparently, it isn't okay to post video material yet so the uploader removed the video.

Quote from: rmdw45 in dom4's reddit
Sorry, I just noticed that the devs have okayed screenshots and discussion but not video at this point. To respect their wishes I'm taking this video down. Besides, bigmcstrongmuscles' description above is accurate: you still give orders before the battle just like in Dom4, but now everyone's turn happens all at the same time. Among other things, it tends to make it easier for e.g. cavalry and tramplers to get in the first strike, and shooting arrows or fireballs at a moving target seems to be more difficult.
Well, respecting their wishes is probably the best course of action, though if a re-upload were to surface I wouldn't be too angry about it.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 03:53:50 pm »

Ptw
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 03:58:48 pm »

I mean, who uses the default random maps anyway though? I can't remember the last time I've done so except for testing things in singleplayer.

To note, all I play is SP Dominions. So this is important to me on some level, especially because I'm wondering how long it will take a new version of RanDom to appear (think it took at least a month after the Dom4 release), and how important that will be for me to enjoy the game. It'd be nice if Illwinter completely adapted RanDom into their own map generator but if it hasn't happened yet....

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 05:09:04 pm »

Just to be sure, there still isn't and won't be any AI diplomacy mechanics, right? Like you still go to war by invading or being invaded and just stay at war forever?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 05:54:17 pm »

Data Blub

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 06:17:51 pm »

New retreat system, good leaders can prevent units from dispersing in all directions.
If instead you have a bad leader, if a province have 5 connection, and only one connected to an ally progince, you can easily lose 80% of the retreaters.
Leader get 75% odds of going to friendly provinces, 87.5% with terrain survival (speaking about retreating)

I wonder if this will finally be enough to sound a death knell on the predominance of indy commanders. I'd think so, but then I'd thought the squad and morale changes D3->D4 would have done more to draw it into question than they did, so we shall see...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 06:37:03 pm »

I think I've seen like 4 posts of that data blub. Do they just keep updating it? Anyways that's a lot of info, thanks.

Vanheim
-20% cost to hammers.

I assume this means.....crafting magical hammers? So specific.

Also can someone explain to me (since I never play MP) why movement is so important? With fliers I can get maybe 3 provinces worth of moves but rarely will I ever have a foot army get more than, or less than, 1 move in a turn. So why does movement seem so important to non-cav, non-fliers? Or is that really who most of these changes are targeted at?

It's just reading all thees movement changes, to me in my head I'm going: "Ok so still one province for foot troops. Still one province. And that one...still one province."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 67