Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 124964 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #810 on: August 02, 2020, 10:19:22 pm »

I've completed my Skeleton War AAR.

Full list of posts (start from the bottom): https://cruxador.wordpress.com/category/skeleton_war/

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 07, 2020, 01:14:03 pm »

Speaking of skeletons, it reminds me of something interesting I learned. Some nations have special skeletons, making their skeleton summoning spells extra powerful. I forget specifically what they were but the info should be googlable.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 07, 2020, 03:11:51 pm »

Full list of posts (start from the bottom): https://cruxador.wordpress.com/category/skeleton_war/

I really enjoyed reading this, shame about all the stales.

Speaking of skeletons, it reminds me of something interesting I learned. Some nations have special skeletons, making their skeleton summoning spells extra powerful. I forget specifically what they were but the info should be googlable.
Giant nations often get giant skeletons. Ulm has greatsword wielding longdead, which is a neat way for EA to get some extra oomph out of their small death access.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 07, 2020, 04:22:11 pm »

Caelum/Nazca, C'tis and the monkey nations also have their national variations of the undead. Not that any of them are amazing, but I do like the fluff of different nations having their own undead instead of just summoning the same basic human variants.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 07, 2020, 04:49:15 pm »

Don't some of the underwater ones, too? Could swear I remember that being so in D4 at a minimum (one of the shade summoning ones got extra nice shadow junk from underwater provinces), and I'd assume it carried over to D5...

Though I guess that might not be nation specific, exactly, I'unno. But place of summoning might factor in, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 07, 2020, 07:16:04 pm »

I believe a recentish update expanded on this, so old info may be obsolete.

I really enjoyed reading this, shame about all the stales.
It's hard to avoid at the best of times. And Ermor is known for being incredibly tiresome to play both as and against, so it's pretty understandable.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:19:11 pm by Cruxador »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 12, 2020, 04:18:23 am »

It's been a while since I've played. Has there ever been an update that fixed ranged units not leading their shots? It was painful watching them miss over and over.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 12, 2020, 06:10:04 am »

It was fixed in one of the first patches. If it wasn't fixed properly then, it surely was a bit later.  :P

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 12, 2020, 06:48:38 am »

Good to hear. I'm getting the urge to play again. Any suggestions on what nation and style to play as?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 12, 2020, 06:55:42 am »

Good to hear. I'm getting the urge to play again. Any suggestions on what nation and style to play as?
Try out new nations, maybe? MA Ind, MA Naba, EA Ubar, LA Vaettiheim. Ind is most unusual of the bunch.
EDIT: Ah yes, it wasn't that long while.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 07:03:49 am by MCreeper »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 30, 2020, 07:42:39 pm »

What's up with how the AI attacks commanders? Their archers and fliers regularly target single commanders in the middle of armies. I keep a stack of men in the back specifically to counter any "target rear" commands they may have, and it's not like my commanders are bigger than my other units. I just don't see how it's reasonable that the AI can sent their arrows and flying units directly to my mages.

EDIT: And while I'm asking, is there a way to skip a commander for just one turn? I either have to cycle through 5 spies until I'm sure I didn't miss anyone, or set them to hide and forget they exist.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 08:33:38 pm by Micro102 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 01, 2020, 05:11:13 pm »

I don't think there is a way to "skip" for just one turn.

As for archers, there's several possibilities. "Fire at archers" can target your commanders if they have bows, for instance. If they have bodyguards, the bodyguard squad is a valid target for any attack or fire order, and the commanders will be attacked along with them. If you have any long rows of infantry or archers spanning the width of the battle map, any arrows sent their way will mostly congregate towards the center, which can easily get your mages killed by the spread of fire if they're standing behind them, which is why my mages are usually off to the side. And of course either just "fire" or "attack" without specifying a target, or just giving no orders and letting the unit do whatever, can easily result in the unit choosing to attack a commander in range, among other useful behaviors.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 02, 2020, 02:00:02 am »

So it sounds like by making 10 tiny squads of archers/fliers instead of 1 big one, I get to up the chance that I randomly kill a enemy mage? Seems..... abusive.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 02, 2020, 02:18:04 am »

At the same time, many small squads will rout faster, and spread their damage around rather than focusing it. And you'll need a lot more commanders to control the many squads. If you need to do that kind of thing, you're almost better off recruiting a gaggle of basic scout commanders with shortbows.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 02, 2020, 06:30:34 pm »

Very nice read, congrats on the skelepocalypse.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 67