Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Forgotten: Seeking Feedback!  (Read 2106 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Forgotten: Seeking Feedback!
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:12:18 pm »

Most have forgotten.

In a time before time you and your kin were mighty, walking a world where you had no rivals in either power or intellect. It was a peaceful existence free of strife or struggle, as the beasts that lived and died short lives were inferior to you in any way. Some found such a simple existence utterly abhorrent, and so the first sin was plotted and carried out.
The most depraved and brutal of your kin planned an experiment. The common beasts and plants of the world often slew and consumed eachother for survival, and occasionally out of malice or competition. These plotters, known now by the name of Demon, slew some of their own kin to prove it was possible. Outrage and fear rippled out from the first acts of evil, so these Demons where overwhelmed and sealed away under metal and stonework possible only through the cooperation of many of the most powerful beings in existence.
Once the grim task of sealing away the eternal evil had been completed, a small miracle had been discovered. The corpses of those who had been slain decayed into the land, the same as any body might. Except that the very land absorbed the purity of essence that the Kin had once possessed, forming lands of holy wonder. Even the very souls of the dead retained some bare amount of consciousness, and it is from this consciousness that the Elves first sprung. They worshipped the dead, calling them the "Forces", and taking upon themselves the solemn duty of guarding the land which had helped give them life. They were crude beings, but they were undeniably sentient, capable of the same feats of learning and discovery that had been the sole purview of the Kin before now.

This sparked an intense debate. Many of the kin desired to create new sentients, now that the possibility had been discovered. Others regarded these "pitiful" beings as a perversion of divine essence, or even a threat. The Kin did not wait until any kind of agreement before launching into action. Some of the Kin formed groups so that they could work together on the creation of new beings, as it was quickly discovered that a single one of them would not be successful without sacrificing themselves to the task. These Kin, which came to be known as Gods, wanted to guide their children in a way which the Forces were yet unable to. Some of the Kin however, devoted their energy to creating mighty bodies for themselves, or creating engines of destruction to release upon whatever beings the Gods created, these Kin became known as the Titans. It was only a matter of time until the Titans and the Gods came to blows.

When the war came, the Gods were hopelessly outmatched. Most of their power had gone into the creation of beings who had not yet had the opportunity to truly come into their own, while the Titans were mighty indeed, and backed by soulless warriors of metal. The Gods, armed only with knowledge and their fledgling creations, were bloodied horribly, and some were even killed, leaving their children without the teachers they would need. These dead gods were carried away however, for the Titans did not wish to repeat the events which had led to the creation of the elves. So was committed the second set of sins, and it was this that inspired a new idea in the nearly beaten Gods. They went to their kin in the depths of the underworld and forged pacts. Demon Lords would be permitted to return to the world in exchange for alliance against the titans. These pacts were readily accepted. Once the war had been won, those Demons who had been freed would be allowed similar holdings as the Gods, though in exchange the Gods would hold their leash.
From Fortresses erected out of the underworld, the demons forged armies out of those mortal souls who had fallen to the cruelty of the Titans, creating the goblins which would serve as their foot-soldiers forevermore. It was with the goblin armies that the tide was turned against the Titans, who were overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of their mortal enemies. Of those who survived, most retreated into the darkest depths of the world, to be forgotten. Those who remained on the surface did so in sheer defiance, though they had already lost.

The war took a heavy toll on the gods however. The creation of the mortals and the pacts with their dark kin left them with too little power to safeguard their victories, so they retreated to watch and guide beyond the reach of those who might slay them in their weakness. The world was left a chaotic battlefield, with the mortal survivors forced to cobble together their civilisations themselves, with only that which the Gods had taught them to arm themselves. Some races were left without even that, unfinished creations of deities whose names would never be recorded. Finally, those Gods who had been slain by the Titans left their mark too, despite the best efforts of those who slew them. They were left in the world as a dark echo of hatred, lashing out mindlessly and without thought, creating monsters formed of fear and malice. And now you know why you fear the night.

You are one of those vestiges of divine might which were broken and forgotten, left as a mindless spirit for hundreds of years. However, something has happened which has stirred your mind into consciousness, though as an untethered spirit with only a fraction of your former might.  In a time before time, what were you called?

Choose History.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What has awakened you?

A note for readers!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:09:24 pm by Mlamlah »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten: A Dwarf Fortress Suggestion Game
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:16:16 pm »

Kobolds, and the reptile men worship us.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:18:03 pm »

History:

-I created new life, but only managed to teach them a precious few things before i was slain. I do not know what has become of my children, the Kobolds.

-A skilled adventurer has stumbled upon and accidentally profaned a shrine to me. My curse will bind them to me, but they are unlikely to be a faithful servant, and may make efforts in an attempt to drive me away. Without a mortal tether, in such a weakened state, my mind would be lost. Nonetheless, such a skilled mortal could be useful.

Our Kobold children shall rise, and take this world for themselves!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:22:51 pm »

PTW.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 02:39:34 am »

If there isn't much interest in choosing a name i can randomly generate it.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 04:07:26 pm »

I might like a little more input on what kind of world we might want to see generated, but at minimum i'll need a tiebreaker. Depending on if there is discussion or not the introductory update could occur either tonight or tomorrow. Now's the time to pipe up if there is something you want/don't want to see in the setting.

If no one states any preferences, i'll use the world that i've been combing through the past day or two. Some details on it:
-400 years of history, still on age of myth.
-Goblins are the most prolific and widespread of the civilised races, though not universally the most powerful.
-Humans are the runner up in terms of population, with a mixed bag of successful and weak civilisations, and a fair number of dead ones.
-Elves are the next most populous, though mostly with weaker civilisations in decline, unable to stand up to most competing goblin civs, except for the odd one that the elves completely wiped out.
-Dwarves are next, but only because they only have a single civilisation. It is however, one of the most mighty civilisations in the world, with none of its neighbors willing to oppose it.
-Kobolds are relatively populous, but scattered, with many misfortunes having befallen the race as a whole.
-Landmass dominated by a huge good aligned mountain range.

A Map

I suppose i should also clarify how the mechanics will work. You will essentially be primarily acting through your "worshippers", with certain limited abilities able to effect the world, but for the most part relying on those who follow you to do as you ask.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:22:27 pm by Mlamlah »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 12:32:40 am »

Sounds like a fun world, let's use it.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 12:59:06 pm »

Sounds like a fun world, let's use it.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 01:18:49 pm »

Gonna need that tiebreaker though, or else i'm just gonna flip a coin.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 01:24:27 pm »

Change my suggestion to Glass', at least we'll still be the Kobold god.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 01:26:06 pm »

Thanks, NRDL.

Though could we actually start with a cult of Kobolds? I'd enjoy that.

Let's make Kobolds the dominant civilized race!

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 01:34:00 pm »

Feline animal people, awoken by lesser feline animal people.
it's over

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 04:35:31 pm »

In a time before time, you began the master work of attempting to create a race. Your early work showed promise, though it was intended to be only the beginning. They were small creatures, prone to mischief, but filled with a raw cunning that had a great deal of potential. They laid eggs and did well in the dark, feeling more comfortable spending at least some of their time away from the sun.
It was in this state that you began to teach them. You wanted them to survive the wrath of those Titans that desired their destruction, so you taught them to hide and skulk in the dark. You also taught them the value of intelligent beings, and so they learned that only the beasts of the world are suitable for butchering and eating. They learned that compelling another intelligent being to do as they are asked through force and torture was deplorable behaviour, though you did not teach them of sympathy for the suffering of others and so cruelty for its own sake became something familiar to them. Instead of by force of might, your children learned to cooperate with eachother autonomously, out of loyalty for the tribe and its wellbeing. In fact, Loyalty was the lesson that your children took to heart above all others. The concept of betrayal and disobedience became utterly foreign to them.
Skulking wasn't the only skill you taught them. You also imparted in them crude skills of craft. They learned how to hunt, how to fashion tools and weapons, how to work stone, wood and bone, and even how to smelt metals. You did not however, teach them any of the scholarly arts, or how to lead and expand. You gave them the tools to form crude tribes, but little more.

Perhaps you planned a great deal more for your children. Perhaps you planned to give them mightier bodies, to teach them how to form great empires or to master the beasts of the world. It's hard to remember what you had planned now. Since you were struck down in the War Before Time you've been mindlessly adrift, a spirit of mournful wrath without consciousness. Memory before history is a formless thing, liable to escape.

Slowly, you feel your mind return to you. It's been hundreds of years since you fell, and you recall vaguely in that time that you've travelled the world formlessly, using whatever brief spurts of power that came to you unthinkingly. Sometimes you doled out generosity, and sometimes cruelty, but none of these actions were decisions that you made, merely reflexes. It is a victim of your cruelty that has nursed you into wakefulness again.

Mindlessly hungry, you have been prowling the tunnels in the depths of the world, devouring those you've come across. A tribe of Reptillian beings were among those who were misfortunate enough to experience your wrath. This however, is a state of affairs all too familiar to them, and so they have taken upon themselves an attempt to appease you. They've built a crude shrine to you out of bone, and laid out offerings for you to consume. Though meat does not sustain a being like yourself, their supplication is a lifeline to you, and over the course of months, brings you out from the darkness of despair.
They are crude beings, and for a maddened moment you think that your children may have found you, though you quickly realize these are not they. For one, these beings are larger, and amphibian. They traverse the pools and ground of the underground caverns with equal ease, though they lack the knowledge to tunnel their surroundings to suit them. In fact, it seems that these beings received even less instruction than the children you left behind. They have a few crude skills of craft, but working stone and metal is a concept completely foreign to them, and they were taught nothing of how they should behave as civilised beings. They survive, and little else. There is promise in that fact however. If beings as crude as these have survived in such a hostile environment, avoiding the wrath of both beasts and titans, then perhaps there is a chance the Kobolds have done well.

With consciousness there comes a vital decision. All beings such as yourself requires Spheres of influence. Such a thing will center and sustain you, and give you the power to effect the world. Without a Sphere, you are helpless. You have long forgotten much of what made yourself what you were, but perhaps you can attempt to reclaim some small piece of it. Or perhaps your time as a spirit has changed you, giving you a predilection for something which was completely foreign to you before. Either way, the effort will drain you for a time, but it may be the only opportunity you have to ensure you have enough presence in the world to act.

Choose a Sphere of Influence. This will effect your abilities, and will give powers related to that sphere to your priests and shamans.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:54:31 pm by Mlamlah »

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 04:39:20 pm »

Though could we actually start with a cult of Kobolds? I'd enjoy that.

You won't be stuck with a single cult. Part of the challenge is in finding your children, who have been taught to hide, and then in convincing them that you are their creator if you wish to do so.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 05:11:15 pm »

Would "darkness" count as something relevant to both the lizardmen that currently worship us and to the kobolds we created? Because I really feel like it would be something good to take.
And not the darkness where the enemies hide, stalking you. No, the darkness where you hide, safe from those who would stalk you.
Pages: [1] 2 3