Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To Live Between Worlds  (Read 1367 times)

Torchwood202

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To Live Between Worlds
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:23:23 pm »

Is there a way I could have a singular being exist in every world I create? Perhaps it's a dimensional traveler, or it's Armok, etc. The point being is they would be the following:

0. There is one of them in every world, there will only ever be one of them in a world, but their visual race may not necessarily be unique.

1. They exist in the time before time.

2. They have the same name across all worlds.

3. They act the same way across all worlds- unless #7 influences them.

4. They may or may not acknowledge the fact they have existed elsewhere (such a referencing events or people who do not exist in their present world).

5. They are a deity-tier being- meaning they cannot be slain by some random animal like most Megabeasts are, nor some random peasant.

7. They have goals and motives, which may or may not remain static across worlds, and may or may not influence whether or not people actually try to kill them.

8. Unlike actual deity's, this being actually exists physically and can / will interact with the world around them.

9. They may act as an observer or may directly influence the world via their actions, such as 'choosing a favorite'.

10. Any other suggestions would be nice to hear, even if none of this can be coded into DF.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:51:32 pm by Torchwood202 »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: To Live Between Worlds
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:53:27 pm »

This will probably be in myth&magic.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:31:47 pm »

Well, possibly, although nothing like this has been hinted at so far.

It kind of falls beyond the range of 'unique fantasy world in which it's possible to play numerous roles as part of a rich history'  in that it's encouraging the making of lots of similar worlds that a being like this could fit into.

With alternate dimensions, the possibility for such a being increases, but again, only in a single "world" (universe) not over several worldgens.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 01:33:09 am »

0. Maybe by making it a megabeast? But I doubt that would reliably work.

1. Nope. Only procedurally generated creatures exist before year 1, as far as I know.

2. Nope.

3. Technically, yes. But this is down to a lack of complexity in megabeasts. Monsters will rampage; such is their nature.

4. Nopity nope nope.

5. Nein. This would require changing the way world-gen works.

7. Noperissimo.

8. You'd have to go out of your way to make a modded creature not exist, ala chimerae or griffons. But there's no way to achieve most of what you want in a physical creature, let alone an abstract deity.

9. Minime.

10. Seek out DFHack. It won't be a panacea, but if you're skilled enough with coding you might be able to achieve some of these things.

Gods walking among mortals might well be a thing, in some form, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch. I don't believe Toady's said very much on the subject.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 06:06:48 pm »

0. Maybe by making it a megabeast? But I doubt that would reliably work.

1. Nope. Only procedurally generated creatures exist before year 1, as far as I know.

2. Nope.

3. Technically, yes. But this is down to a lack of complexity in megabeasts. Monsters will rampage; such is their nature.

4. Nopity nope nope.

5. Nein. This would require changing the way world-gen works.

7. Noperissimo.

8. You'd have to go out of your way to make a modded creature not exist, ala chimerae or griffons. But there's no way to achieve most of what you want in a physical creature, let alone an abstract deity.

9. Minime.

10. Seek out DFHack. It won't be a panacea, but if you're skilled enough with coding you might be able to achieve some of these things.

0. The best way I know to make a 1-per-world unique creature is an abductor night creature with a genderless converted spouse caste.  One (and only one) of each type of night troll is created during world gen, and having a genderless spouse caste stops them from reproducing.  Megabeasts are not guaranteed to be unique, nor are they guaranteed to appear in all worlds.

1. First generation night trolls begin wandering their initial area in the time before time.  They appear to take no interesting actions, however.

9. Night trolls with the POWER token can take over some types of civilizations.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)