Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 4527 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 02:18:16 pm »

I was a little surprised that that even works if you're out of land in your library, but it does.  It makes sense when explained, I guess, just weird.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 05:20:52 pm »

My mental picture of that is someone picking up their entire deck and throwing it at their opponent.

50 Card Pickup: The Gathering
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 06:04:32 pm »

Still playing Magic Duels while I wait for Magic Arena to release. Threw together a pretty fun deck last night that works well (at least against the mid level players I'm going up against). It's green and blue with a splash of white with lots of flash creatures and instants to counter whatever the opponent is playing along with some draw to keep my hand full of options. Most of my damage output comes from my flying creatures, who get pumped up by soulblade djinn and thunderclap wyvern. The instants blossoming defense and wildsize also provide sneaky extra attack/defense when I need it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:10:06 pm by Flying Carcass »

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 11:16:33 pm »

Still playing Duels while I await arena (and alas, the vaunted rank 40 still eludes me! closest I've gotten is rank 38)

Currently playing a really nasty mono blue deck centered around Rise from the Tides.

It's full of sorceries that let me draw and put stuff in the graveyard, with a few instants that return enemy critters/permanents/spells to their owners' hands to maintain control of the board state (including Displacement Wave which is great for clearing the board). Once I've filled my graveyard with spells (usually aim for around 10ish), I cast RftT and suddenly the board is full of zombie tokens... unless the opponent has board wipe it's usually game right there. I've also got two Thing in the Ice for the utility they give, be it blocking, critter wipe, or just a big stompy. I've also got two Commit||Memory to return enemy permanents to their hand and as a safeguard to keep from milling myself to defeat.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 06:29:57 pm »

I'll probably play a bit of Arena when it comes out. I played a fair bit of MtG2011-2014 a few years ago and actually didn't mind the format. Sure, it's a lot more limited than real MtG, but it's probably slightly broader than Limited or Block in some ways. A lot cheaper too.

It does mean there's a far more limited meta to work in, but it does help stop some of the more BS decks from cropping up. Yet there's still some fun to be had. I can't stand the MtGO interface, but their more consumer style products are actually pretty good. Even way back to the 1995 Microprose edition. Certainly not perfect, but quite playable for a fairly complex card game.

There was even unsupported modding of MtG11-14 floating about years ago, that also worked with the free demo version, if you didnt mind just playing vs the admittedly poor AI.

With all the anti loot box controversy raised recently, it's surprising that there weren't too many MtG (or even Hearthstone) comparisons made. Every pack of cards is essentially a loot box, with potentially hundreds needed to get a full set. Then again, people actually like MtG and HS, whereas they weren't too thrilled by SWBF, even without the loot box system.
It's a game. Have fun.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 10:55:31 pm »

With all the anti loot box controversy raised recently, it's surprising that there weren't too many MtG (or even Hearthstone) comparisons made. Every pack of cards is essentially a loot box, with potentially hundreds needed to get a full set. Then again, people actually like MtG and HS, whereas they weren't too thrilled by SWBF, even without the loot box system.

At least for Magic the argument is that there is actual resale value, due to the fact that you get a physical card that can be resold.

As for Hearthstone, give it time. If any lootbox regulations are passed, its likely that all of the free card games will have to look into adding a disclaimer or becoming pay2play if they can't actually sell packs legally anymore (since they would provide a non-real good)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 12:56:42 am »

Sorta just posting to watch, played absolutely tons of magic back when I was in university... from the ravnica block to the return of ravnica blocks actually hahah.  Eagerly awaiting when arena finally launches or decides to send me a key to the beta that I applied for back in September.
Nom nom nom

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 04:47:20 pm »

I played around with it for a bit, the only problem was that I couldn't afford new cards, and everyone around me played infinite mana stalling in regular play, and really only play commander. I was getting my ass handed to me more often than not, and gave up.

The only deck I have is a Blue/Black artifact Planeswalker deck, and it's 98% the structure deck I bought for 20 dollars.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 05:26:57 am »

Yeah, Magic has always been a game exclusively for kids with rich parents. Pay to win, even before the computer era.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 10:10:25 pm »

Eh I always just went and played draft or pauper tbf.  Both formats are anything but ptw.  Commander`s not bad there either since you can only have 1 of every card.
Nom nom nom

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 09:12:45 am »

Anyone mind sharing some deck-building tips?

I have a green deck with lots of cards that let me fetch lands from my library. Like this one:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=417436

I dont know how to calculate the number of lands I need, since these cards are not lands but dont do anything other than allowing me to play more lands per turn. So if I want a 60-card deck with let's say 25 lands, could I put like 21 lands and 4 of those land-finders? Will I get the same probability of always having lands to play, plus the added bonus of being able to play more than one? How to math lands when using those cards?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 09:21:37 am »

Eugh...  Won't that card almost always be worse than drawing a forest would have been?  It lets you play two lands in a turn, but for 3 mana and the extra land's tapped.  It would be useful in a multi-color deck, but surely not in a mono one?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 09:27:14 am »

Well the idea is having a big finisher that I want to play as fast as possible. Then I spend my early game just playing lands and then my finisher.
I play casual with friends and no one goes for those absurd aggro decks that kills everyone in 3 turns, so being useless in the early game isnt such a problem.
These cards are useful in that they allow me to bypass the 1-land-per-turn limit.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 10:52:43 am »

It's not that awful, since mana-acceleration via tutor also cleans up your deck a bit as a side benefit.  For a mono-Green deck, though, it does tend to take second place to Nature's Lore (cheaper, untapped) or Rampant Growth (cheaper, tapped).  The key in looking at the odds is that land tutors do require a cost to be paid, though: a tutor isn't quite the same as a land because if you don't get three lands quickly, you can't turn this into more lands.  You'll just be staring at dead draw after dead draw.  For green, it's not quite as bad since the three-mana hump is a bit easier to cross by the second turn if you're also running a card like Llanowar Elves (turn 1: Forest/elves, turn 2: Forest/tutor), but it can still lead to issues.  It's also not that bad with 25 lands in your deck; that may lead to issues with drawing too many lands rather than too few. 

It's probably also worth noting that I've also never been particularly competent at Magic, though I used to play it more.  I may have missed some stuff that's come out since.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:00:08 am by Culise »

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 12:03:02 pm »

Yeah I see what you guys are saying. It would really help more if the deck wasn't mono-green. Maybe I'll rebuild it into a red-green to improve my early game. Slap some red low-drops and leave the green big finishers. Then playtest it to see if I got the ramp right.
Thanks for helping guys.
Pages: 1 [2] 3