Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 4587 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 09:10:24 pm »

natural connection's one redeeming factor is that it is an instant, letting you play it at the end of the enemies turn.  It's okay in a blue/green control/late game stomp deck that I used to run where you basically threaten Counterspell's the entire early game, ramping your mana at the end of the enemy turn until you can toss out some massive trampling nasties.  For mono green though it's pretty terrible.

Red-Green might not be a bad spot for it either since you can hold onto burn spells to play on the enemies turn and if they don't go for it toss out your ramp endstep.
Nom nom nom

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2018, 07:54:00 am »

Finally grabbed a code to get into the Arena beta. The UI takes some getting used to, but otherwise it's a fun game (I mean, it's MTG after all).

Just had this one crazy match where my opponent was playing a white/green cat deck centered on lifegain with Aetherflux Reservoir providing a potential alternate win condition.

Meanwhile I was playing a mono white weenies deck designed to go wide and draw cards with Mentor of the Meek (glad they brought that card back in Core 2019). But even going wide it looked like my opponent would win via Aetherflux... until I got Victory's Herald into play.

From there it became a wild back-and-forth slugfest with 20+ lifepoint swings each turn until I finally won through sheer numbers and enchantments that exiled some of his key critters.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2018, 06:57:38 pm »

Spent my wild cards today and put together a rather fun and potent green/black/red deck.

I had previously obtained a copy of "Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire" from a Core 2019 pack and decided to build a deck around him (after using some wild cards to pick up 2 more copies). Since whenever he attacks I get to choose permanents on both sides to sacrifice, I included some good sacrifice critters (such as Doomed Dissenter and Feral Prowler) in my deck.

I also grabbed two copies of "Angrath, the Flame-Chained" to go after their hand (plus -8 ability is quite nice) and threw in some removal (fatal push and unlicensed disintegration) to knock out their critters. I also have the option of going the beat down route via Brawl-Bash Ogre (3/3 with menace that can be pumped up via sacrificing critter).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2018, 03:28:02 pm »

I've been having a lot of fun with the starter dragon deck, redone to have a lot more dragons in it (and the cheapest Chandra/Sarkhan planeswalker cards).  I've been pretty cautious with my wildcards even tho I know at some point there's going to be an account wipe.

snip
As someone who occassionally daubles in control, my dream is to disallow aetherflux reservoir's active.

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 11:20:08 am »

Arena's going into open beta on the 27th. Now's as good a time as any to waste coins/wildcards on derpy experimental decks since they and all card collections will be wiped at the end of closed, the exception being any purchased coins/gems.

On a side note, I've found that the enchantment Induced Amnesia is a great addition to a mill deck running Psychic Corrosion since it allows me to target myself to exile my hand and draw cards equal to the cards I exiled; a good sized hand can clear out a chunk of the opponent's library thanks to PC. I also include some Blink of an Eye in my deck so I can bounce the IA back into my hand to reuse it.

3 DAYS LATER EDIT:

Speaking of fun derp decks before the wipe, I put together a rather wild artifact-centric deck with some of the more gimmicky artifacts from Core 2019, i.e. Chaos Wand and Transmorgrifying Wand. CW lets me play opponent's instants/sorcery from their deck and TW lets me replace their creatures with derpy-looking 2/4 Oxen. The deck also includes some planeswalkers to build board presence/draw cards, some Timestream Navigators to give me some extra turns (great for putting away matches), and some heavy hitters like Planar Bridge, Skysovereign, and Cataclysmic Gearhulk. Deck's main weakness is that it cannot afford to fall behind on lands early.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 06:39:25 pm by Flying Carcass »
Pages: 1 2 [3]