Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Array formations, soul power  (Read 820 times)

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
Array formations, soul power
« on: September 12, 2017, 04:36:06 am »

Array formations are stationary area of effect "structures" imagine something like a force field where any dwarves inside would be affected for example speed boosts healing boosts, strength boosts or any buffs, on the contrary they could go awry if not set up properly. This is magic related so its only a twinkle in the eye. small formations could be engraved in hallways to do little things such as check for curses, clean contaminants, detect intruders or simply give a good thought. these could be overpowered so they'd be late game magic research once it comes about some formations requiring certain materials to set up with more materials and skill needed for better/larger formations. I feel like offensive formations would be hard to come by while "smaller" ones would be easier to accomplish and discover.

How to power: mechanical power, souls, fuel. just a few ideas for fuel. I think in order to get souls you'd need to set up a soul trapping array formation that doesn't require power and slay animals/enemies/hippies. and store them in gems.

Thoughts? i tried searching for this but didnt see any hopefully this isnt spammed a lot

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Array formations, soul power
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:29:04 am »

I approve of this kind of magic, as long as it's subtle enough. A good low-fantasy setting is one where things like runes and charms have small enough effect that it's entirely reasonable for many characters to not even believe in them. For example, wards that protect against sickness might be commonly accepted in some culture, while another culture views them as mere superstition because their effect has been too statistically small for them to notice.

I'd also like there to be hidden effects like this that even the characters in game don't know about but which still affect the game, left to be discovered by the player. Suspecting that one hospital works better than another because it's more symmetrical is a perfect example of unknown mystical laws of a fantasy world.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:00:53 pm »

Yeah I'd agree on it being largely subtle but id like there to be a few high grade late game ones that have big effects but I'd live with subtle ones

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 02:46:22 pm »

IIRC DF isn't fixed on low fantasy, it just fits the genre at the moment due to the myth and magic gen systems still being works in progress. High fantasy worlds should eventually be possible, and everything in between.

So whether it's a subtle effect or not should depend on the world in question IMO.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:48:50 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 11:05:00 am »

This, This is good

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 08:59:06 pm »

As PlumpHelmetMan said, we'll get both high fantasy worlds and low fantasy worlds. That update will be awesome.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.