Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends Mode discussion.  (Read 638 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Legends Mode discussion.
« on: September 12, 2017, 01:51:57 pm »

So i have a pet project going, where i'm generating worlds in DF to be used as the setting of a fictional world. For a while i was struggling at taking notes from the vanilla legends mode, but then i remembered mods exist and downloaded a couple in order to help. To be honest, i was kind of blown away by the level of information recorded in game. I didn't think i'd ever have access to the EXACT number of pond turtles that exist in a world at any given time, but now i do, and ready access to that information has been enormously helpful in ideas for world building already.
Currently i'm using Legends Viewer, and have poked around a bit with World Viewer, but i wanted to ask for input. If you're the kind of person that likes poking around DF worlds looking for story fodder, how do you generally go about it? Are there mods that you prefer? What kind of information do you look for, and how? I'm not only interested in advice, but also just curious about what people might have to say on the topic.
For the record, having access to expandable family trees and interactable maps has been, just a great experience after years of trying to piece together the details of a world's history in legends mode. Have you had a similar experience you might like to share?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Mode discussion.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 05:49:05 pm »

I use Legends Viewer combined with in-game Legends Mode for the occasional missing details (less of those in the next release, which is great). I like to get a good idea of the world before starting any adventurers or fortresses.

The map itself is excellent for a quick glance at the current state of the world (especially if you've added a few extra civs). I check a few things while browsing, largest cities, slayers of bronze colossi, wars between civs who aren't natural enemies. I also browse the main details of each of the major civs and take a closer look at interesting quirks. Like a civ with a long line of non-original species rulers for example - try to track down when mass immigration began and it's causes.

Generally I still end up running into the most interesting stuff by accident.

By the way, after exporting the data from Legends Mode, you'll have a text file with all the population data. Very handy for quickly searching for the existence of new critters and such. No need for utilities at all!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:52:39 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Torchwood202

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Mode discussion.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 06:47:16 pm »

I started using Legends viewer recently and man, it sure is something. I get a nice little pie chart of the civ population, each individual civ within civs, and their regions in detail!

For example: I wanted to start Adventure Mode for the first time so I created a world. Decided to be Human because they're easy, right?

I decided to join "The Unions of Heaven" humans as they were situated nearby to all other civs. For giggles, I decided to check them out in Legends Viewer.

I discovered the King of the Unions of Heaven... was a gronn (basically a giant on steroids). Harvest Sportdrives the Decisive Duty of Mountains had tricked the humans into believing he was Uzin, the Human God of Earth. He ruled over them for 150 years (the world had a history of 180, so sheesh). For whatever reason, Harvest Sportdrives allowed The Unions of Heaven to thrive and become 5000+ strong- on just a mere Small world. Currently he is competing with himself on what seems to be a marathon lasting years. He, of course, wins every one of them.

Wielding this knowledge, I decided my adventurer would be an ardent worshipper of Uzin. Their life goal? Kill the pretender god.

And thanks to Legends Mode, I know exactly where he is...