Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War Animals No Longer Following Trainers After Unretire  (Read 924 times)

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War Animals No Longer Following Trainers After Unretire
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:06:23 pm »

I have two different "giant" sized war animals assigned to two different owners. I retired my fortress as I was in need of a competent scholar and had to go about making one in adventure mode. This ordeal took only two in games week (wherein the dwarves smashed every pot of drink, somehow), and now, coming back to my  fortress, these two animals are not following their masters. Did something untick after unretire and make them no longer want to follow their owners? Or is this a bug? Either way, is there any means of fixing this? Thanks in advance.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Animals No Longer Following Trainers After Unretire
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 05:34:35 pm »

Unretire is full of small bugs right now. Read through the reported bugs on the tracker and add it if it's not been mentioned yet. Link to your save too (upload to DFFD). Unretire bugs get looked at a lot but never seen to be fully cured, every save probably helps.

First things to check are, are the animals still assigned to their owner (at least according to the ui) and are the original trainers/owners listed correctly as citizens, or have they strangely become 'visitors' or 'hostiles'.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:01:34 pm »

Unretire is full of small bugs right now. Read through the reported bugs on the tracker and add it if it's not been mentioned yet. Link to your save too (upload to DFFD). Unretire bugs get looked at a lot but never seen to be fully cured, every save probably helps.

First things to check are, are the animals still assigned to their owner (at least according to the ui) and are the original trainers/owners listed correctly as citizens, or have they strangely become 'visitors' or 'hostiles'.

The owners are both citizens, that I'm certain of, since both are in the military. Checking their assigned animals shows on both of them "one war beast assigned" and does not show either of the animals as selectable from the "assign warbeasts" menu. Both of the animals have "no job" and flash the blue question mark associated with that status.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:02:57 am »

It's well known that unretiring tends to cause all drinks in the fortress to teleport out of their containers (but I don't think the containers are harmed), so a recommendation is to make sure you have breawables available when you retire to be able to take up booze production immediately.
I don't know if it's been reported, though (and I'm too lazy to look for it, and rather poor at finding what I'm looking for when I do...).

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 05:46:44 am »

Yes, it's been reported and seems to be design intent.  Other containers are often emptied as well (and apparently making heavy containers will make it less likely for them to be emptied).  I really should ask an a future of the fortress post about what the rationale is for the disarray.  My guess is that it is to discourage casual retirement, but I'm not sure...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 04:25:44 pm »

Yes, it's been reported and seems to be design intent.  Other containers are often emptied as well (and apparently making heavy containers will make it less likely for them to be emptied).  I really should ask an a future of the fortress post about what the rationale is for the disarray.  My guess is that it is to discourage casual retirement, but I'm not sure...
I suspect it's intended to a certain extent but, like most other things, requires balancing.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:23:36 pm »

Design intent? Huh. What a weird decision. At least I had a lot farm yield when I got back.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 10:29:34 pm »

Design intent? Huh. What a weird decision. At least I had a lot farm yield when I got back.
Weird decision for dwarves to eat and drink and smash stuff up while you're gone? That's kind of what 'persistent world' implies.

Sure, needs a lot more work, balancing and bug fixing, but it would be really disappointing to find the fortress in the exact state you left it in.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 10:27:37 am »

Weird decision for dwarves to eat and drink and smash stuff up while you're gone? That's kind of what 'persistent world' implies.

Sure, needs a lot more work, balancing and bug fixing, but it would be really disappointing to find the fortress in the exact state you left it in.

Not necessarily that they eat and drink while you're away, moreso that you're there one moment and all is well, and then the next time you enter, everything single drop of drink has been spilled miraculously.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 04:57:52 pm »

Not necessarily that they eat and drink while you're away, moreso that you're there one moment and all is well, and then the next time you enter, everything single drop of drink has been spilled miraculously.
Yes, that's why I said it requires more work, bug fixing and balancing. Certainly the state it's in at the moment isn't anywhere near good enough. And you were gone two weeks at the earliest. Plenty of time to smash stuff up. :)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 07:43:55 pm »

I recall there are similar bugs, like noble requirements are all red despite they all have rooms, so you have to redo all the assignments.
As if the game creates copies of the data after you unretire the fort.