Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Putting Specific Items in Bin  (Read 521 times)

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Putting Specific Items in Bin
« on: September 13, 2017, 12:59:04 am »

How do I do it. I've read the wiki page countless times and looked everywhere I could, some saying you need to build the bin, others saying they're in the stockpiles. Either way I cannot for the life of me figure out  how to store specific items in bins. I'm trying to give the elves who've come one of my useless artifacts (a pig tail rope with nothing on it other than pig tail, aka just a rope) for two grizzly bears. However, I can't do this unless I have the item in a bin, and I can't figure out how to put it there. How do I do this? What am I doing wrong here?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Putting Specific Items in Bin
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:22:01 am »

Are you sure can't you trade the item without putting it in a bin?

I think you could do it as follows:

Define a stockpile that only accepts ropes/chains made out of plant cloth. Edit the settings of the stockpile with 'q' and increase the number of bins it accepts to 1 (maybe more than 1 if you have a large supply of ropes).

Now build a bin if you don't have any spares yet. Make sure your other stockpiles won't accept any more bins than they already have. The dwarves should then add the bin to your stockpile and place the artifact rope in it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:10:29 am »

You can't trade artifacts...

Artifacts inside a bin will allow you to send the bin to the trade depot, but the dorfs will remove the artifacts before moving the (now empty) bin.
As an aside, it can be mentioned that sending cages with untradeable creatures in them (such as goblins, trolls, and untamed critters) work the same, i.e. the dorfs will remove the untradeable critter from the cage and haul the cage to the trade depot. It can result in some !FUN! if the critter was a blind cave ogre...

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:19:55 am »

You can't trade artifacts...

Artifacts inside a bin will allow you to send the bin to the trade depot, but the dorfs will remove the artifacts before moving the (now empty) bin.
As an aside, it can be mentioned that sending cages with untradeable creatures in them (such as goblins, trolls, and untamed critters) work the same, i.e. the dorfs will remove the untradeable critter from the cage and haul the cage to the trade depot. It can result in some !FUN! if the critter was a blind cave ogre...

Saw a post that was fairly recent about putting them in bins and moving them to the stockpile to be traded. It was put up only three months ago, as well, but I guess it could've been fixed in that time.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:21:23 am »

Nah. DF hasn't gotten an update in over a year.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 04:23:33 pm »

Yeah, not possible yet. Next update (probably next month) features artifact trading.