Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 114

Author Topic: Chalice: Wizard Gang Wars: Pretty Kitty Simulator  (Read 216941 times)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: Chalice: Wizard Gang Wars
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 10:51:56 pm »

Spoiler: Oceansoul, ATHATH(?) (click to show/hide)

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 11:17:33 pm »

[RESERVED]
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 11:36:54 pm »

Spoiler: Questions for PW (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 04:35:03 am »

So if I understand the rules correctly, each 'turn' or 'day' on the overworld gangs can choose a place to attack, then these encounters play out in 'real time' next to each other (assuming no pvp for now), right? Now suppose gang one finishes much sooner than gang two and three, do they now have to wait for the other two gangs to finish their 'day' before they can go for another territory, or can they immediately move on to the next one?

Also, a gang can only engage a single territory at a time, right? No splitting up the gang? What if gang one is getting to big for their breeches and the two others attack it, each on their own front. Does gang one have to split up their forces now, or commit to one fight and forfeit the other, or do both of them sequentially?

Finally, how do npc gangs play into all this when they're the ones attacking? Since those would also require a real time fight, right? So when they attack you, that's another encounter for that 'day' you have to deal with.

Sorry for busting your balls like this right from the start, I'm just curious how this would work.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 08:37:04 am »

Spoiler: Questions for PW (click to show/hide)

Marks act as stored spells. In normal cases you can only cast one spell per turn as your action, but marks can be activated at any time, even during other people's turns if they have conditionals applied to them. So you'll need them if you want to combo spells together. The reason why ones like "Mark whole body" and "Mark brain" are so low in power is because if you screw up with the spell, there is a backlash is directed at the marked part. So "mark hand" is high power because it has relatively low risk even if you mess up, but mark whole body can straight up kill you if you roll bad.

I won't tell you everything about how it functions, but it does work to produce things, like before.

Depends. Guns don't come with ammo, but a good small spell like "Steel ammo" said by someone with high pot could produce a ton of ammo for the weapons around him. 

So if I understand the rules correctly, each 'turn' or 'day' on the overworld gangs can choose a place to attack, then these encounters play out in 'real time' next to each other (assuming no pvp for now), right? Now suppose gang one finishes much sooner than gang two and three, do they now have to wait for the other two gangs to finish their 'day' before they can go for another territory, or can they immediately move on to the next one?

Also, a gang can only engage a single territory at a time, right? No splitting up the gang? What if gang one is getting to big for their breeches and the two others attack it, each on their own front. Does gang one have to split up their forces now, or commit to one fight and forfeit the other, or do both of them sequentially?

Finally, how do npc gangs play into all this when they're the ones attacking? Since those would also require a real time fight, right? So when they attack you, that's another encounter for that 'day' you have to deal with.

Sorry for busting your balls like this right from the start, I'm just curious how this would work.
The reason why I only allow one area to be attacked at once is because every area being attacked is like another ER mission going  on. Three I can handle. But 12 because someone wants to split their gang multiple times to try and take over lots of places, I can't. However, if two gangs attack one gang, I'm suddenly down to 2 missions and can happily allow the attacked gang to split their forces. The point here is that splitting the gang is allowed sometimes, especially when it makes sense, but its not for territory conquering simply because doing so would make my life a living hell sooner or later.

As per questions of people waiting to engage another encounter because other people haven't finished; they don't have to. If you finish your encounter in 3 turns, then bravo, you can move on to the next one.  However, there are few caveats to that.  First, if you attack someone's territory while they're on a mission, they have the opprotunity to put that mission on hold and go defend their stuff, so you can't just quit a mission and assault enemy territory unmolested because they're tied up elsewhere. And they can't do that to you either. The other Caveat being the fact that the difficulty of encounters depends on how dangerous the territory is. Weak territories that can be conquered easily and quickly don't give very good words, where as the harder territories have a higher amount of good words connected to them.

NPCs attack you works just like PCS attacking you. However, the chances of them attacking you when PCS are also attacking you is pretty slim, since I control them.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 09:21:51 am »

Spoiler: Response (click to show/hide)
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 09:42:46 am »

Honestly, ATHATH, I have doubts about Gun Reaper idea. First, Mark Whole Self has a good chance of not directing Transform onto affecting the body. Second, being Ghostly may make it hard to actually grasp our guns. Third, I'm not sure that we EACH get our own set of the permanent words; it'll probably be one set we all have to share. It'd be too overpowered for more popular teams if they get so many resources per member.

I, honestly, just want to focus on the Gun part of the Gang. I'm not saying we CAN't have a GunneReaper, just that we shouldn't focus entirely on that. I added words like Hammer and Wall to the permanent list so that we could have a little more well-roundedness. Whispering, I do like your suggestion of Amber, so I'll replace Screw out with that in the end. However, for the rank 3 words, I thought having the Clockwork/When-Dealing-Damage words to advance our guns in general would be useful. Also, something about bullets that absorb magic seems...ineffective. The magic would remain in the bullets after absorption, essentially, so it MAY not be as debilitating as you think. Also, something about that would makes me feel that the actual damage they do would be reduced. It does seem like they'd be useful for SOME guns and ammo, so it'd still be a good idea to get Absorb/Magic territory at some point for them.

Huh, didn't notice there was a Ninja word;
Like I wrote higher in this very post you're reading, there's no real guaranteed possibility that we could get transformed by our own Ghost spell from the provided words. If you really want to go Ghost, I have few objections to claiming Ghostly territory at some point  later on. I mean, the guns probably won't be able to phase through things, and they could still be knocked out of your hand by physical attacks. I honestly see little real benefit to adding it to the PERMANENT words, considering my original baseline plans for a gun-focused guild.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 02:50:57 pm »

So we got two gangs already; a third wibbling through trying to form.

Hey, two gangs we got already, you have a few people and are ready to start or what?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 03:02:12 pm »

Huh, didn't think this would appear so quickly. I want in, and also want to make my very own gang. Cause I like crows.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 03:38:36 pm »

Spoiler: Response^2 (click to show/hide)

Honestly, ATHATH, I have doubts about Gun Reaper idea. First, Mark Whole Self has a good chance of not directing Transform onto affecting the body. Second, being Ghostly may make it hard to actually grasp our guns. Third, I'm not sure that we EACH get our own set of the permanent words; it'll probably be one set we all have to share. It'd be too overpowered for more popular teams if they get so many resources per member.

I, honestly, just want to focus on the Gun part of the Gang. I'm not saying we CAN't have a GunneReaper, just that we shouldn't focus entirely on that. I added words like Hammer and Wall to the permanent list so that we could have a little more well-roundedness. Whispering, I do like your suggestion of Amber, so I'll replace Screw out with that in the end. However, for the rank 3 words, I thought having the Clockwork/When-Dealing-Damage words to advance our guns in general would be useful. Also, something about bullets that absorb magic seems...ineffective. The magic would remain in the bullets after absorption, essentially, so it MAY not be as debilitating as you think. Also, something about that would makes me feel that the actual damage they do would be reduced. It does seem like they'd be useful for SOME guns and ammo, so it'd still be a good idea to get Absorb/Magic territory at some point for them.

Huh, didn't notice there was a Ninja word;

---------

Like I wrote higher in this very post you're reading, there's no real guaranteed possibility that we could get transformed by our own Ghost spell from the provided words. If you really want to go Ghost, I have few objections to claiming Ghostly territory at some point  later on. I mean, the guns probably won't be able to phase through things, and they could still be knocked out of your hand by physical attacks. I honestly see little real benefit to adding it to the PERMANENT words, considering my original baseline plans for a gun-focused guild.

Switching absorb for clockwork sounds good, but I think we should hang onto magic. It has some neat interactions, and we can use it for random enchantments as well. That last bit is... kind of unpredictable, probably, but likely fun and useful as well.

I'm going to go ahead and suggest we go with either machine or controller for our tier four word. Machine can be used to create some really neat guns, among other things. Material control doesn't have quite the same synergy, but it is undeniably useful and flexible.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 03:43:23 pm »

Name: Raven Feathra
Description: Raven is a VERY RAVENY GIRL. She has black hair, dark blue eyes, and looks all edgy and shit. She's really too young to lead a wizard gang, but carries herself with confidence and Murder.
Potency: d10
Memory: d6
Strength: d2
Dexterity: d4
Speed: d6
Vitality: d4
Endurance: d6
Intelligence: d8
Awareness: d8

Gang: Murder of Bad Motherfuckers
Color: Black and dark blue
Symbol:
Words: Feathery, Mark Caster Heart, Ornate, Ornate, Ornate / Crow, Flesh, Clothing / Human, Controller / Intelligent
Leader: Raven

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 05:35:08 pm »

Thanks for the answers pw. However, I have another question that might be a little harder: from a bit of chatting with people who played perplexicon, which this system resembles, it seems that there are at least some rules in terms of syntax to get different results, and when you can assume certain things and when you can't. So, my general question is: could you give some guidelines/pointers as to how the word system works, for people who didn't play perplexicon? Perhaps with some practical examples?

To give a simple example, words that can be either a verb or a noun, how do I know which is which? Does 'metal controller' give me a tv remote made of metal, or something that controls metal? How do I differentiate between the two? Can I just say it and explain how I interpret the meaning?

Also, apparently one normally needs a material to conjure items, so 'machine+gun' would apparently need another word like 'steel', even though a machine gun refers to an existing object that is usually made of steel. Is this also the case in this game?

Finally, some terms on that list, such as 'distortion dust' are foreign to me (somebody explained it to me, but I can imagine there are others who don't have lore fairies).

If all that is too much work, I'll just learn by experimentation, no sweat, but I can imagine it'd give a very uneven playing field between different players.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:46:51 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 05:40:26 pm »

Of the Three gangs, only one has more then one person, But I think that's fine to start with.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 05:42:36 pm »

Hey Piecewise, what stat do I use to do charisma-y things, like intimidate people? What if I want to, say, brag about my life story in a way that's not entirely true?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 06:05:37 pm »

I think Egan just snuck in for that last Gang.

ALRIGHT

OUR GANGS ARE

SHADOW ALLIANCE

A gang's Permanent words: (Fire Forward, Air, Delay, Mark Whole Body, Dome), (Darkness, Shockwave, Aura), (When Inflicting Damage, Black Biometal), (Distortion Dust)

DEATH'S FRIENDS

A gang's Permanent words: (Animate) (Dead, Machine) (Vehicle, Erupt from ground, Solid) (blood, Spike, Air, When near death/dies, Wall)

MURDER OF BAD MOTHERFUCKERS
Words: Feathery, Mark Caster Heart, Ornate, Ornate, Ornate / Crow, Flesh, Clothing / Human, Controller / Intelligent

Pledge your allegiances now!

Gang leaders, PM me to talk about where you want to set up HQs.

Thanks for the answers pw. However, I have another question that might be a little harder: from a bit of chatting with people who played perplexicon, which this system resembles, it seems that there are at least some rules in terms of syntax to get different results, and when you can assume certain things and when you can't. So, my general question is: could you give some guidelines/pointers as to how the word system works, for people who didn't play perplexicon? Perhaps with some practical examples?

To give a simple example, words that can be either a verb or a noun, how do I know which is which? Does 'metal controller' give me a tv remote made of metal, or something that controls metal? How do I differentiate between the two? Can I just say it and explain how I interpret the meaning?

Also, some terms on that list, such as 'distortion dust' are foreign to me (somebody explained it to me, but I can imagine there are others who don't have lore fairies).

If all that is too much work, I'll just learn by experimentation, no sweat, but I can imagine it'd give a very uneven playing field between different players.

Sure.

1. If you give me a mass of gibberish, you're gonna get my best guess as a result.

2. Word Order Matters, but isn't set in stone. In general, the material that makes up a form goes before it, and other materials and forms are added on to that first one. For instance "Steel Ammo Fire" would produce incendiary ammo for whatever gun you have.  But "Steel Fire Ammo would instead produce an ammo made of a combination of fire and steel, something like bullets that always glowed red hot.  However, "Fire ball" and "Ball Fire" would probably produce about the same results.

3. Words have strict meaning. There's no varience based on usage, no noun that works as a verb. Controller denotes a particular thing and Controller Steel will always produce a device to control steel, never a tv remote. "Fire" always produces combustion; "Fire Ice Ball" will produce a ball of fire and ice, not propel a ball of ice forward. This is the nature of things.

4. Context and intent DO matter. They can't completely change things, but if you state your intent with a spell, it can help shape my interpretation of it. Without intent and context I will simply interpret it as best, and as literally, as possible.

5. If you don't know what a material is, you can ask about it specifically. I won't reveal all secrets but I'll give you the Gist.

Hey Piecewise, what stat do I use to do charisma-y things, like intimidate people? What if I want to, say, brag about my life story in a way that's not entirely true?
Intelligence seems most connected, though thats only if you're speaking alone. If you were intimidating by flexing, that would be Str and so on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 114