Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TRADING: Caged animals/creatures/prisoners ( tamable and non-tamable )  (Read 1002 times)

umbrelladroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok im sure this has probably been mentioned a ton of times before me.. however i have not been on the forums in quite some time and as a huge fan of DF i have to put a suggestion forward about it.

Personally I would love to be able to trade anything in a cage, weather it can be tamed or not... This includes any creature that can be caught in a cage trap such as Yeti, Goblins.. prisoners etc.... SO you could think of trading them in cages as a means of slave trade..... It suits this kind of game and I would love to see it in action without having to edit a RAW file to make a creature tamable...

Anyone agree ??

Also..... Frame-rate.......god this needs work... so many z-levels and cant even use them becuase of frame rate or frame of death... !!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TRADING: Caged animals/creatures/prisoners ( tamable and non-tamable )
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 11:47:07 am »

Slave trade is likely to become available at the time races that permit slavery become playable/the time dwarven ethics are malleable enough to permit slavery. The starting scenarios will touch upon law and custom, and so may involve some changes here. Myth & Magic's completely mundane setting rules out dwarves, and that ought to mean humans will have to be playable at that time (although that doesn't mean THOSE humans may be permitted to allow slavery).

Trade of untamed non sapient creatures ought to require some rationale, and I can think of two:
- Trade for blood sport slaughter (such as when a bull is gravely injured and gets his neck tendons cut so a "brave" bull fighter can finish him of with minimum risk, or the corresponding spectacles in the Roman empire).
- Live food for long trips.
- Sacrifices to various deities.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 04:47:31 am »

Players themselves can raw edit dwarves with a bit of modding to be a slavery applicable race if at any point that slave trading IS added by toady into the game in a bare minimum working system (individual A is transferred to site B, a bit like a kidnapping)

> Jumping to the conclusion that humans will be added because of slavery is a little hasty

Its perfectly rational however again to raw edit the game as to make humans selectable also, alternative races has been mentioned by toady but i dont think he has a granite timeframe for it, and slave trade won't be his number one priority but maybe a side request relevant to the bulk of the arc he's currently working on, like you say the law & property arc.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:00:21 am »

Yes, you can edit dorfs to allow slavery, but that does nothing until slavery is added into the framework.

I don't understand how you drew the conclusion that I thought slavery would cause humans to be added. What I think I said was that the mundane magic setting would cause humans to have to become playable, and part of THAT *might* be to allow for slavery.
For humans to become playable, a sufficient, probably bare bones, social structure is needed (probably no better than the current dwarven one), as well as means to produce housing, workshops, etc. that make sense, i.e. more building and less digging. There might be a need for some additional professions, and possibly the removal of some dwarven skills (but the addition of the ability to make underwear and human sized weapons). I wouldn't mind the addition of a light deprivation disease (reverse cave adaptation: basically vitamin D deficiency) for humans staying too much underground, but that's a fringe issue.

umbrelladroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 07:59:53 am »

Hmm i understand what you mean....

To be honest i may have over explained my question.. really im just looking to be able to trade creatures that i capture which are not tamable... In order to do this i think i must edit raw files of creatures to make tamable in order to trade them correct ?

Also i am a fan of arctic biomes... Can you breed yeti if you capture them and make then tamable through raws editing ??
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:42:44 pm by umbrelladroid »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 01:00:13 pm »

There's a recent thread (last week) on the forum concerning yeti breeding. You can breed wild creatures (provided they're capable of breeding and are not invaders). You can ALSO hack the raws to tame them and breed them, but that's not required.

To trade creatures currently they have to be trained, so raw hacking and training is required to do so (although I don't really see the point of trading untamed creatures).

umbrelladroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 02:47:22 pm »

Ah i see.. and is there a way to make creatures capable of breeding ? Or was that something toady would have hardcoded and cant be modded in raws ??

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 04:11:21 pm »

Almost all creatures are capable of breeding, and it's in the raws somewhere. Exceptions are e.g. creatures that are gender less, and I suspect e.g. Bronze Colossi are not capable of breeding (since they're basically golems, and thus not organic). Titans/FBs are incapable of breeding in practice, since they're one of a kind (barring an exceptional RNG conincidence), and some of them are probably incapable due to not being organic. Magma Men are probably non breeders as well.

Note that some creatures are adult at birth, which means they cannot be fully tamed (if they can be tamed at all), because full taming requires taming while they're young.