Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: AU Mission 1 [Turn 13: Diplomatic Solutions]  (Read 21933 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 11: Lore Dump]
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2017, 02:42:28 pm »

Magic up a large chunk of stone, and beat that into a stone punching bag with my rocks.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2017, 09:35:43 am »

Quickly magic up a medium sized, smooth sphere of rock (basically, a cannonball, but rock), and then use intense wind magic to fling the rock at the cultist.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2017, 02:55:47 pm »

Inquire about the terrain surrounding this mountain. Are there safe-ish paths down? How far until they level out into flat terrain?

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2017, 07:04:05 pm »

Lets actually start being useful lets start making as good a map as I can.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2017, 02:30:35 pm »

Turn 12: Pretty Please

PERSUADE our hosts to consider opening diplomatic relations to our insectoid overlords.
[3] They agree to hear out any feeble offers, but remain pessimistic they'll have anything to offer.

+1 Persuasion

"Eh? Wazzat? I'm terribly sorry, I'm in the middle of cooking a turkey. I have to go now."

I've heard enough. Leave the building and hightail it to the portal.
You bail out of the building full of crazy people, scamper down the slippery rocks, and hop back to gooland.

Describe to the Chieftan our setup with the Bugs, placing greater emphasis on going to other worlds and kicking the shit out of stuff than pretty mcuh anything else. If his attention flags, describe how our glorious insect overlords pulverised something living and vulnerable, as they do from time to time.

Try to interest him in travelling or sending men to other worlds to fight things, in return for a) whatever they can grab and b) things from other worlds that want to kill him, as well as c) experience of things on other worlds that want to kill them.

[5] The idea of an extraplanar training program interests him greatly, so he agrees to the idea of assembling a battle squad.

+2 Diplomacy
Now +3 Diplomat

Plants that get stronger near fighting? You're too kind.

See if someone will point me towards some semi-dangerous, carnivorous plants.
((I did not think this through.))

[6] The Great Maw is its own arena, a toothed flower forming the, uh, primary ringout section. The main fighting area is on woody platforms above the maw, and various writhing tentacles and spike thorns adorn the walls.

+2 Agriculture
Now +3 Agriculturalist

Magic up a large chunk of stone, and beat that into a stone punching bag with my rocks.
[2] You can't quite get it to come out in one piece.

Quickly magic up a medium sized, smooth sphere of rock (basically, a cannonball, but rock), and then use intense wind magic to fling the rock at the cultist.
[1] As is often the case with these things, your attempts at magic result in point-blanking yourself with a cannon.

-1 HP

[2] Fortunately your opponent rushes you, the promptly trips over the hole you dug your cannonball out of.

Inquire about the terrain surrounding this mountain. Are there safe-ish paths down? How far until they level out into flat terrain?
[4] The short answer is getting into or out of the monastery is supposed to be difficult, so there are no "safe" paths. That said, people do get up and down it, so apparently there are "safe enough" paths.

As for flat terrain, this plane is apparently rather dynamic. Vast, open fields exist, but the cultists seem a little confused by requests for open fields that are not made of quicksand, infested with worms, flood regularly, etc. "Not this mountain" is a few hundred feet down, fewer hundreds on one side than the other (which overlooks a chasm even by local standards), but it's still flat only in relative terms.

+1 Diplomacy
Now +2 Diplomat

Lets actually start being useful lets start making as good a map as I can.
[5] You get a lovely height chart of the jumble of rocks you're on, complete with vague suggestions for easier ways up and down.

+2 Cartography

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 12: Pretty Please]
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2017, 02:37:40 pm »

Apply that same logic that just had me injure myself against the enemy, this time by reversing the direction of whatever I did to fling it.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2017, 04:58:56 pm »

Set out a plan with mine host for the training program, then go back to our wonderful insect employer, and report that I have managed to discover a workforce even more expendable and foolhardy than ourselves. Shift to main thread, I guess?
One wheel short of a wagon

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2017, 05:11:55 pm »

Set out and find some great beast to defeat, to further standing with the local powers of this world.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2017, 10:10:41 pm »

Try Again!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2017, 11:15:14 am »

Okay. I think it's a bit big to go through the portal or fit into the bugplace, but I can use it. Cast charm plantmonster > either take baby plantmonster or splice part of the plantmonster into my face.

Using plant magic and the plants sticking out of my face, try to get The Great Maw to sense me as not-food, not-threat, and not-worth-fighting.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2017, 03:20:20 pm »

splice part of the plantmonster into my face.
Someone should sig this.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2017, 09:37:55 pm »

Turn 13: Diplomatic Solutions

Apply that same logic that just had me injure myself against the enemy, this time by reversing the direction of whatever I did to fling it.
[6] You launch the ball a little too forcefully, knocking yourself back.

You knock your target back even further, though.

+2 Air Magic
Now +3 Air Mage
Cultist: -2 HP

[6] The cultist realizes this match isn't going well, and so tries for a desperation move: Physically lifting you over his head and hurling you over the parapet edge.

It mostly works, though you grab his sleeve on the way down.

[6] You both land in some kind of gargoyle-fed pool on a lower platform of the castle, and clamber out.

Set out a plan with mine host for the training program, then go back to our wonderful insect employer, and report that I have managed to discover a workforce even more expendable and foolhardy than ourselves. Shift to main thread, I guess?
[6] You work out a nice deal involving, uh... "The Appointed Time" sort of snuck its way into your contract there, so they're sort of going to send a crew to beat things whether you have things for them to beat or not.

+2 Manager
Now [Tournament Contract]

You then flee to make your report.

Set out and find some great beast to defeat, to further standing with the local powers of this world.
[4] You locate some feral beasts in the rocky wastes. You have a hard time describing them as any animal you're familiar with, until you realize if somebody just sort of took a quadruped-thing and added as many claws, teeth, and horns as they could fit they'd get those.

+1 Seeking
Now +2 Seeker

Try Again!
[4] You raise up a rock punching bag. Few people other than you would agree such a thing exists, but you showed them!

+1 Earth Magic

Okay. I think it's a bit big to go through the portal or fit into the bugplace, but I can use it. Cast charm plantmonster > either take baby plantmonster or splice part of the plantmonster into my face.

Using plant magic and the plants sticking out of my face, try to get The Great Maw to sense me as not-food, not-threat, and not-worth-fighting.
[5] You get it to sense you as not only not worth fighting, but as something to avoid damaging or gumming up.

+2 Plant Magic
Now +6 Plant Mage
Now [Great Maw Harmony]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 13: Diplomatic Solutions]
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2017, 10:49:42 pm »

Blast the quadrupeds with fire.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2017, 03:02:06 pm »

I win everything!

Use the last of my plant mana to get a Sapling Maw.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2017, 09:39:48 pm »

PTW, this looks fun.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9