Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: AU Mission 1 [Turn 13: Diplomatic Solutions]  (Read 22771 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
AU Mission 1 [Turn 13: Diplomatic Solutions]
« on: September 13, 2017, 06:51:08 pm »

This is the first on-mission thread for Arcane Utopia.

Current Mission: World 8
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:38:05 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 0: First Contact]
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:51:51 pm »

Turn 0: First Contact

You emerge on top of a platform identical to the one that took you here, save that it's anchored to the ground rather than built into a gooey, gooey structure.

The world is hot, as advertised, and you're currently in the middle of a thunderstorm so you suppose it's wet also. The mountain part is pretty understandable as well, seeing as your tiny platform appears to be perched on a jagged rock in a jumble of jagged rocks apparently composing an entire cliff of giant spikes, overlooking some rather similarly severe-looking terrain.

The Overgrown part, on the other hand... you're not seeing it. Everything just looks like jagged black stone, in the brief bursts of lightning you can see it in.

Classification mysteries aside, there's a more immediate concern- on top of this mountain-thing, you're pretty sure there's some kind of structure. It looks big, but you can't make out much more than that in the lightning. It also, near as you can tell, is throwing light from its windows.

Other than that, your options for exploration are... well, anywhere you feel like climbing, dropping, or jumping to. The terrain is just awful, but that does mean there's always somewhere to grab or land if you're feeling brave.

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 06:58:15 pm »

So my understanding of magic is such that I can do this...

Karen walks over to where the natural stony ground begins and places her right palm on the floor. She draws Stone Mana from the ground and uses this to flatten a decent sized area of terrain into a smooth stone basin, with a small barrier at the edges to prevent anyone from accidentally falling to a painful end.

If she has left over mana/time, she will continue the barrier at the edge to curve slightly upwards and form a smooth stone roof, with an entrance-way facing the portal, and a window-like opening facing the opposite direction.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:08:25 pm »

Karen walks over to where the natural stony ground begins and places her right palm on the floor. She draws Stone Mana from the ground and uses this to flatten a decent sized area of terrain into a smooth stone basin, with a small barrier at the edges to prevent anyone from accidentally falling to a painful end.

If she has left over mana/time, she will continue the barrier at the edge to curve slightly upwards and form a smooth stone roof, with an entrance-way facing the portal, and a window-like opening facing the opposite direction.

I HELP!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 07:10:44 pm »

Blu glances around, taking in as much of the landscape as he can while it is lit by flashes of lightning. He quickly, and loudly, curses the bugs for putting him on top of a goddamn mountain before setting to work.

Extract as much Water Mana as possible from the rain. Afterwords, try to determine a safe path upwards or downwards.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 11:13:18 am »

Brian squints through sheets of rain at the tumult of flashing clouds above him and the sea of spikes below.

"Well, we aren't even dead. Doesn't that just show fabulous foresight on the part of our employers?"

He stares hard at the rock, ensuring that it isn't alive, and does the same for the rain. He also tries to work out how something might have survived and developed in such an inhospitable environment - caves, perhaps?

Regardless of all that, he tries to work out if the structure could be safely accessed.

"You know, I think making contact with the natives would be a very good start. Cooperation is the key to mutual success, remember."
One wheel short of a wagon

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 12:58:49 pm »

"Life must be plentiful SOMEwhere, whether above the clouds, within the clouds, AS the clouds, maybe. Or, of course, the spires we're standing on. "

I'd like to try something. Draw mana from deeper within what we're standing on, then identify it. This might bring up some sort of Flesh mana or Plant mana or such, and that would confirm this spire is alive.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 04:29:04 pm »

Turn 1: Idea Guys

I HELP!
[1][4] Karen and Ogneer feel into the stone, attempting to flatten it out into a basin. This goes pretty well until Karen's share... rebounds. She goes straight up, which would be questionable at the best of times. With solid rock and a lot of directions she would really rather not bounce to, this is looking downright problematic.

Ogneer: +1 Earth Magic
karen: Now !!Airtime!!
Stable Basin added next to portal.

Blu glances around, taking in as much of the landscape as he can while it is lit by flashes of lightning. He quickly, and loudly, curses the bugs for putting him on top of a goddamn mountain before setting to work.

Extract as much Water Mana as possible from the rain. Afterwords, try to determine a safe path upwards or downwards.
You hold still a moment to soak in the water, but your tank is already full.

[4] Safe is asking rather a lot; this is rugged, rugged terrain, and you didn't get here naturally. That said, you begin picking out the handholds and angles on the shattered rock, and start to think you've got a decent plan for getting up or down. That said, you'll have to see how it goes, and there's always a chance for a "good" path to lead somewhere with fewer good paths.

Brian squints through sheets of rain at the tumult of flashing clouds above him and the sea of spikes below.

"Well, we aren't even dead. Doesn't that just show fabulous foresight on the part of our employers?"

He stares hard at the rock, ensuring that it isn't alive, and does the same for the rain. He also tries to work out how something might have survived and developed in such an inhospitable environment - caves, perhaps?

Regardless of all that, he tries to work out if the structure could be safely accessed.

"You know, I think making contact with the natives would be a very good start. Cooperation is the key to mutual success, remember."
[6] Oh gods, did that rock just move? It was probably just the shimmer of water on it- oh gods, did that WATER just move?! It was probably just gravity... the gravity isn't moving, is it? You jump up and down a few times, but you're not sure.

[6] The structure is built on top of a jagged mountain in the middle of nowhere, and also it is a dark and stormy night. Its inhabitants are 100% guaranteed to eat you upon arriving.

"Life must be plentiful SOMEwhere, whether above the clouds, within the clouds, AS the clouds, maybe. Or, of course, the spires we're standing on. "

I'd like to try something. Draw mana from deeper within what we're standing on, then identify it. This might bring up some sort of Flesh mana or Plant mana or such, and that would confirm this spire is alive.
[4] You try to worm your way through the structure of the rock. There's something down there or maybe mixed into the rock, but you can't place it. Otherwise the rock appears to be rock the mild ways down you're able to sense with your mediocre level of skill.

+1 Stone Magic
Now +2 Stone Mage

The platform whines and glowly briefly before vomiting out another duo.

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 1: Idea Guys]
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 04:37:05 pm »

Nix lands on the platform, hugging his cloak around himself, as he gazes at the large structure. Seemed a good a place to start as any.

Head to structure, see what it is.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 05:02:20 pm »

"THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING!!"

Quickly try to draw air magic from the surrounding environment and blow it in front of me to decelerate myself, similar to a turbine. If it doesn't seem to be helping, rely on the help of my allies.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 05:46:07 pm »

InB4 it turns out that you're standing on the hairs of an incredibly massive creature (that may or may not be an Elder God).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 06:13:47 pm »

"I was really starting to wonder when things would go completely sideways. Let's try and save her, yeah?"

If Karen manages to save herself, begin carefully climbing up towards the structure.
If Karen doesn't manage to save herself, attempt to gently guide her back down to the platform using a steady stream of water.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 08:50:07 pm »

Use the stone mana to make a stepped stone slope leading slightly lower on the spire than where we are now. Then drain out some more stone mana, to be ready to repeat this a few times.

"So, the spire itself is not living, since my techniques were unable to help me drain extra mana. Anyway, it may be best to make a base lower on the spire, closer to the ground. We'd be less likely to be seen by whatever above us, and sorta safer from lightning. There MAY be shadowy creatures beneath us somewhere, but we'll tame those problems once we get down there. Now, anyone want to help me make some stairs downward?"
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 09:08:58 pm »

I Try to Soften the ground where it looks like karen is going to land.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 01:50:59 am »

Brian, after looking around for a while and practicing deep breathing, breaks down and curls up in a ball in an empty corner somewhere sobbing and whimpering.

"We're going to die, we're going to fail our employers, we'll be eaten alive, there's no margin in being eaten alive, the rocks are alive, this is my fault dammit dammit we're all going to die and there's nothing we can do and they'll eat us alive and there's nothing we can do they always eat you alive and there's creatures in the rain and there's nothing you can do about it.."
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9