Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: AU Mission 1 [Turn 13: Diplomatic Solutions]  (Read 22792 times)

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 1: Idea Guys]
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 02:45:38 pm »

Nar steps off the platform and surveys the spiky landscape with growing unease. What exactly was this world meant to be overgrown with?

Probe the environment for signs of life by attempting to draw life mana from deep within the ground. Then examine the exposed cliff faces for signs of mineral deposits.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 1: Idea Guys]
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 05:48:36 pm »

Turn 2: Overkill

Nix lands on the platform, hugging his cloak around himself, as he gazes at the large structure. Seemed a good a place to start as any.

Head to structure, see what it is.
[6] You begin immediately sprinting towards the structure. Given that it's located several hundred feet of jagged rocks above you, this is both impressive and ill-advised. Oh, and the rocks are slippery.

Still, that's a concern for lesser men. You arrive, battered, lightly bleeding, and thoroughly out of breath, at what appear to be a stone fortress or castle. There's a lot of spikes on it, but no guards that you can see.

There's also a large pair of what looks like dark metal doors directly ahead, which swing open upon your arrival.

"Welcome, challenger," a low voice growls from within.

+2 Climbing
Now +2 Climber
Now [Savagely Beaten]
Now [Exhausted]

"THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING!!"

Quickly try to draw air magic from the surrounding environment and blow it in front of me to decelerate myself, similar to a turbine. If it doesn't seem to be helping, rely on the help of my allies.
[6] You turbine yourself to a steady hovering position. A steady hovering position high above the ground and drifting alarmingly to the right.

+2 Air Magic
Now +2 Air Mage
No longer [!!Airtime!!]
Now [Air Drift]

"I was really starting to wonder when things would go completely sideways. Let's try and save her, yeah?"

If Karen manages to save herself, begin carefully climbing up towards the structure.
If Karen doesn't manage to save herself, attempt to gently guide her back down to the platform using a steady stream of water.

You ponder for a moment whether this counts as saving herself or not, before deciding it's close enough.

[6] You begin ever so carefully tiptoeing up the mountain. By which you mean cramming yourself into a solid cranny and relishing how safe you are. Maybe you'll get further when the storm lets up.

+2 Climbing
Now +2 Climber

Use the stone mana to make a stepped stone slope leading slightly lower on the spire than where we are now. Then drain out some more stone mana, to be ready to repeat this a few times.

"So, the spire itself is not living, since my techniques were unable to help me drain extra mana. Anyway, it may be best to make a base lower on the spire, closer to the ground. We'd be less likely to be seen by whatever above us, and sorta safer from lightning. There MAY be shadowy creatures beneath us somewhere, but we'll tame those problems once we get down there. Now, anyone want to help me make some stairs downward?"
[5] You sculpt a beautiful flowing staircase with a railing on the open side. You confirm that it's still a long way down to the very bottom, though.

Landing site now has 2-story Downwards Emergency Staircase
+2 Stone Magic
Now +3 Stone Mage

I Try to Soften the ground where it looks like karen is going to land.
[6] You soften it into a mud slurry that... might or might not sploosh off the side if something hits.

+2 Earth Magic
Platform ledge is now a mud slide

Brian, after looking around for a while and practicing deep breathing, breaks down and curls up in a ball in an empty corner somewhere sobbing and whimpering.

"We're going to die, we're going to fail our employers, we'll be eaten alive, there's no margin in being eaten alive, the rocks are alive, this is my fault dammit dammit we're all going to die and there's nothing we can do and they'll eat us alive and there's nothing we can do they always eat you alive and there's creatures in the rain and there's nothing you can do about it.."
[5] You sob and moan truly admirably, demolishing the morale of everyone around you.

+2 Doomsaying
Now +2 Doomsayer!

Nar steps off the platform and surveys the spiky landscape with growing unease. What exactly was this world meant to be overgrown with?

Probe the environment for signs of life by attempting to draw life mana from deep within the ground. Then examine the exposed cliff faces for signs of mineral deposits.
[2] You meditate on the rock, trying to dig deeper and deeper for signs of life. You get nothing but a slight case of vertigo for your troubles.

An upbeat girl pops onto the platform.

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 2: Overkill]
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 05:57:44 pm »

Reluctantly leave the Mountain's safety nook and continue climbing, slightly more recklessly, towards the structure and Nix.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 06:03:32 pm »

Quickly adjust my descent path so that I land somewhere safer. Specifically, not the mudslide.

If I land successfully, begin drawing more stone magic from the ground, and create a path leading up to the structure Nix went to, with stairs when needed.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 06:37:09 pm »

"Do you always challenge those who have already spent themselves climbing this wretched mountain? Give me a short rest, then I accept your challenge."

Try and PERSUADE the low voice to grant me a temporary reprieve, so I can face whatever challenge within at full strength.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 07:08:46 pm »

Also climb towards the structure, identifying it. Try and coordinate people's efforts, to improve our path and structure, if such a thing is possible.

Brian calms down a little, after choosing death over inaction.

((It's pretty funny that I was one of the only people to succeed there.))
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 11:44:17 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 11:58:33 pm »

Move back to flattening the area.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 02:51:38 am »

Draw stone mana and use it to help extend Baeset's staircase.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 10:56:22 am »

Quickly take a bit of stone mana and use it to solidify the mudslide.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 02:05:51 pm »

Suzume stares at the wretched wet hellscape they were in and sags just a bit looking over at everyone. Before breathing deep shaking and quivering.
"I Will try to shield the platform from the rain!"
Create a small barrier above us to prevent the rain from splattering the platform endlessly. Use my shirt as the barrier ingredient. After all, it is a barrier against the elements.

Feels nostalgic almost.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 02:16:10 pm »

Create a small barrier above us to prevent the rain from splattering the platform endlessly. Use my shirt as the barrier ingredient. After all, it is a barrier against the elements.
See this is exactly the kind of wonkiness I was hoping to avoid. You should consider swapping out Barriers for a more tangible material.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 02:30:53 pm »

((What would you recommend then.))
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 10:07:54 pm »

Turn 3: Banana Peels

Reluctantly leave the Mountain's safety nook and continue climbing, slightly more recklessly, towards the structure and Nix.
[6] Attempting to make up for lost time, you begin dashing recklessly up the mountain. [3] You sort of stumble into Nix's back, but you both manage to retain your footing.

You arrive in time to catch some sort of ominous whisper from the obviously evil castle, so you take a moment to rest all the results of your questionable dash up here.

+2 Climbing
Now +2 Climber
Now [Sore]

Quickly adjust my descent path so that I land somewhere safer. Specifically, not the mudslide.

If I land successfully, begin drawing more stone magic from the ground, and create a path leading up to the structure Nix went to, with stairs when needed.

[4] You tilt yourself ever so slightly, drifting over a safer spot.

Then the magic runs out and you fall.

[6] You dive headfirst into the mud, which has by this point become a gravelly paste. You are unharmed and your landing was at least a 9.2/10, but you're a little stuck and you look silly with your feet sticking straight into the air.

+1 Air Magic
Now +3 Air Mage

"Do you always challenge those who have already spent themselves climbing this wretched mountain? Give me a short rest, then I accept your challenge."

Try and PERSUADE the low voice to grant me a temporary reprieve, so I can face whatever challenge within at full strength.
[4] "As you wissssshhhhh..." it ominously growls.

Some moron stumbles into your back, but you keep your footing and rest a bit.

+1 Persuasion
Now +2 Persuader
No longer [Exhausted][Savagely Beaten]
Now [Sore]

Also climb towards the structure, identifying it. Try and coordinate people's efforts, to improve our path and structure, if such a thing is possible.

Brian calms down a little, after choosing death over inaction.

((It's pretty funny that I was one of the only people to succeed there.))
[1] You uh, experience a sliiiiiiiiiight vertical acceleration issue, in that you slip and nearly fall off the edge. You grab on, but it's slippery and your upper body strength is not what you would call excellent.

Now [Slipping]

Move back to flattening the area.
[2] You fumble the mana, resulting in flat-ish but very lumpy ground.

Draw stone mana and use it to help extend Baeset's staircase.
[1] You channel stone mana through the existing staircase in order to extend it. This instead sloughs off the lower half. Erm. Oops?

Quickly take a bit of stone mana and use it to solidify the mudslide.
[4] You solidify the mudslide into a sort of gravelly paste.

+1 Stone Magic

Suzume stares at the wretched wet hellscape they were in and sags just a bit looking over at everyone. Before breathing deep shaking and quivering.
"I Will try to shield the platform from the rain!"

Feels nostalgic almost.
[2] Your barrier dissolves in the rain, and keeps dissolving as you keep trying to maintain it.

Nostalgic indeed.

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)

((What would you recommend then.))
This is proving a more difficult question to answer than I was expecting. Any particular energies or materials you like?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 3: Banana Peels]
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2017, 10:10:31 pm »

Nix turns around, glancing at the new figure. "Greetings fellow explorer. I'll go first. Pay attention. If this thing kills me, I wish you better luck."

Answer the voice's challenge, enter the structure.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 3: Banana Peels]
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 10:21:52 pm »

"Sorry about bumping into you, I was in a rush to get up. I'm Ryan. Call me B-"

Before Blu can finish this rather awkward introduction, the other man was already on his way into the building.

"Hey wait a second! Let's go together, better odds."

Follow behind Nix, eyes peeled for any threats
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9