Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: AU Mission 1 [Turn 13: Diplomatic Solutions]  (Read 21935 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 9: Burn Baby Burn]
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2017, 08:23:47 pm »

0/10 title no babies burned this turn
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2017, 11:56:52 pm »

Seriously, put out the fire. Sit and eat, regain health as best as possible.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2017, 03:20:17 pm »

Turn 10: Victory

Use air magic to push all the air away from my body momentarily, hopefully immediately suffocating the fire. Except, y'know, don't keep it away too long.

Because I kinda breathe that stuff.

[2] It wobbles in a neat way, but you can't keep the air away from you enough to suffocate it.

Take a seat at the table, examine the food. Speak aloud to the man on the throne:
"I single-handedly clubbed half your cultists into submission. I've never even swung a club before, and I'm the coward?"
[2] He ignores your jibe. The nerve!

Sit down, but don't eat. Use highly refined old man senses to find any and all things suspicious about this situation.
[1] This fruit sauce looks... underspiced. What lurks in the heart of a man willing to underspice his preserves?

Brian sighs, puts out any flaming teammates by beating them with... a rug? A chair? Something held at a distance to his body. Or just kicking them until they roll.

If the "being on fire" portion of the excercise is concluded quickly, he takes a seat next to the fellow in leather pants, and tries to find out what he'd like to have, and what he might trade for it.
[3] You gently slap at your allies. It sort of pats the fire down somewhat.

+1 Medical
Now +2 Medic

KEEP TRYING, THAT I'LL GET THAT FUCKING TINY LUMP UP IF I HAVE TO BEAT IT MYSELF.
[6] You knock yourself out with an uppercut of stone. On the bright side, you have a very tall, if ragged, pillar when you wake up.

+2 Earth Magic

Seriously, put out the fire. Sit and eat, regain health as best as possible.
[3] You alternate between eating and slapping the fire out with a piece of what you assume is poultry.

+1 Medical
Now +2 Medic

Everyone sits down to eat a nice meal and put themselves out. They feel refreshed and ready to take on the world!

Oh, and casual conversation with the cultists reveals they're some kind of fight cult. Apparently they think conflict and strength are the only paths to greatness, and so hold regular tournaments and such. As you have sort of bested the initial challenge, you've earned the right to stay here.

Structure folk completely recovered!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 10: Victory]
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2017, 03:40:37 pm »

Continue asking for details. Try to get every bit of -DELICIOUS LORE- out of this conversation as possible.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2017, 03:56:56 pm »

Talk to the leader, about setting up a trade deal where we give them gladiators, beasts, whatever. Be fairly vague about what we can promise, but hint that our technology far exceeds theirs. Find out what we can hope to recieve from them for our glorious insect overlords.

Also assist with general information-pumping.

If we're on the same page about my stats, I might get a small bonus to this sort of thing?
One wheel short of a wagon

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2017, 04:20:58 pm »

Try and ascertain as much information out of these Fight Cultists as possible, especially regarding other factions on this plane.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2017, 10:49:12 pm »

Now work to get a stone roof...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2017, 04:31:58 pm »

Find someone to ask about where their food comes from, since this place looks to be pretty far from farmland and not guarding anything in particular. Be fascinated by the response.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2017, 04:44:14 pm »

Try to glean the Fight Cult's general opinion on giant bugs.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2017, 07:33:18 pm »

Find someone to ask about where their food comes from, since this place looks to be pretty far from farmland and not guarding anything in particular. Be fascinated by the response.
InB4 it turns out that the food is actually made out of the corpses of those that came before us (there are bound to be plant-people somewhere in the multiverse, right?).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2017, 11:51:12 pm »

Turn 11: Lore Dump

Attention: Experimental rules now in effect. Skill level denotes number of times you can use it between replenishing it through rest, shucking things for mana, and so on.

Continue asking for details. Try to get every bit of -DELICIOUS LORE- out of this conversation as possible.
[6] According to legend, the world was dying at one point- philosophers have since speculated on just what parts were dying in how literal a sense, as on the one hand modern sources are have a decidedly consistent, pro-strength bent, but on the other the power of struggle and sacrifice are well known. In any case, the inhabitants of the world began organizing themselves into cabals ruled by the strongest and largely concerned with gaining further strength and power. This culminated in a grand empire which soon tore itself apart, followed by another empire which soon tore itself apart, followed by the beginnings of a third great empire which was more or less torn apart as soon as everyone figured out it was on its way up and thus clamored for their share, and so on.

Most settlements of the world are monasteries like this one, which you learn from a lengthy tour is built more to provide fascinating combat arenas than anything more economic or leisurely. The energies generated by constant struggles (potentially but not exclusively to the death) provide everything they need. Settlements and individuals that attempt to avoid fighting are said to waste away, though sages point out that there are a number of hard-to-isolate variables regarding this, such as finding "normal" individuals who don't cage fight at every opportunity, are not ruthlessly picked on by those that do, and are not unduly affected by being suspended in a rusty cage and repeatedly poked with a stick by a withered old man hoping to unlock the secrets of ever more power by studying those without it.

Anyway, that's why you're wearing a black cultist robe facing down a similarly cowled individual across a rain-slicked parapet.

+2 Lore
Now +2 Loremaster
Now battling Cowled Figure

Talk to the leader, about setting up a trade deal where we give them gladiators, beasts, whatever. Be fairly vague about what we can promise, but hint that our technology far exceeds theirs. Find out what we can hope to recieve from them for our glorious insect overlords.

Also assist with general information-pumping.

If we're on the same page about my stats, I might get a small bonus to this sort of thing?
[3] Unfortunately he's pretty vague in return. He notes that the power of fighting gives him relatively flexible access to things, but since his only real interest is in more struggle it might be hard for you to find anything especially worthwhile.

+1 Diplomacy
Now +2 Diplomat

Try and ascertain as much information out of these Fight Cultists as possible, especially regarding other factions on this plane.
[6] Oh, there's all kinds of factions. Vile sorcerors, literal demons, dragonspawn scheming to reclaim their lost empire. The people of this world have very, very little regard for anything except strength, so it's exceptionally odd for people not to be up to something and eyeing their neighbors greedily.

Plus, there's ancient evils sealed away everywhere. And not so sealed away everywhere. The constant struggle apparently does interesting things to the concept of death, among other things.

+2 Diplomacy
Now +2 Diplomat

Now work to get a stone roof...
You might want to try to hurry this along to the settlement phase for that.

[5] Still, you get a nice mushroom cap over your excessively tall stone pillar. If it weren't for the lip at the edges, it'd be dry in here!

+2 Earth Magic

[5] Turns out they have a garden. It's more of a series of combat arenas than a proper horticulturist patch, but empowered by the constant battle it does the job.

You also learn, interestingly enough, that the mountain does have a fair amount of plant life on it. You couldn't see it because it's black and there's a thunderstorm on, but plants thrive in places of turmoil just as everything else does, making the fortress something of an oasis. Complete with scattered patches trailing off around it, especially in the places corpses are prone to being hurled.

+2 Agriculture

Try to glean the Fight Cult's general opinion on giant bugs.
[5] The Fight Cult's opinion on giant bugs is identical to their opinion on everything else- if it makes for good sport, they'll fight it. If it will team up with them to usurp power, they'll join it. If it's a weak, cowardly fool, they'll laugh at it while kicking sand in its face.

Speaking of which, they can't stop laughing when you explain your bug masters can't even leave their perfectly maintained buildings without wheezing uncomfortably.

+2 Comedy
Now +2 Comedian

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: AU Mission 1 [Turn 11: Lore Dump]
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2017, 01:37:30 am »

PERSUADE our hosts to consider opening diplomatic relations to our insectoid overlords.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2017, 07:54:14 am »

"Eh? Wazzat? I'm terribly sorry, I'm in the middle of cooking a turkey. I have to go now."

I've heard enough. Leave the building and hightail it to the portal.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2017, 02:05:39 pm »

Describe to the Chieftan our setup with the Bugs, placing greater emphasis on going to other worlds and kicking the shit out of stuff than pretty mcuh anything else. If his attention flags, describe how our glorious insect overlords pulverised something living and vulnerable, as they do from time to time.

Try to interest him in travelling or sending men to other worlds to fight things, in return for a) whatever they can grab and b) things from other worlds that want to kill him, as well as c) experience of things on other worlds that want to kill them.
One wheel short of a wagon

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2017, 02:33:05 pm »

Plants that get stronger near fighting? You're too kind.

See if someone will point me towards some semi-dangerous, carnivorous plants.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9