Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: My first volcano  (Read 14248 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
My first volcano
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:47:34 pm »

Coming soon as a children's picture book :P  In all my time playing DF, I have never actually made a serious go at conquering a volcano.  Shocking, I know.  I decided to do a quick writeup of my first year;

Part 1: https://imgur.com/a/rjEND
Part 2: https://imgur.com/a/o4wNH

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
Re: My first volcano
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 02:15:19 am »

PTW. Hoping for loads of elf-killing charity towards neighbors to teach little Urist proper moral standing.
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 05:41:30 am »

Well that looks like a nice valley TO FLOOD AND BURN WITH MAGMA MWUAHAHAHA.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 06:46:56 am »

I must say, twbt multilevel makes hilly maps far more tolerable. Otherwise can only see 10 squares of map at time; which is why most prefer flat maps. That Armok vision screenshot is nice.

Could have encrusted the gems on something for increased trade value. Well, there's more where that came from.

Hm, you call 12 by 12 farm "moderately-sized". Assuming 4 plants per harvest, two harvests a season, every third plant brewed, that means a "moderately-sized" fortress has 384 dwarves. Aiming high?
(Could support more tbh, given the piglets and such.)

*looks at the 30x30 square in dirt and stone*

Have you considered digcircle?

Though it seems kinda offset from main staircase...

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 07:47:09 am »

I must say, twbt multilevel makes hilly maps far more tolerable. Otherwise can only see 10 squares of map at time; which is why most prefer flat maps. That Armok vision screenshot is nice.

Could have encrusted the gems on something for increased trade value. Well, there's more where that came from.

Hm, you call 12 by 12 farm "moderately-sized". Assuming 4 plants per harvest, two harvests a season, every third plant brewed, that means a "moderately-sized" fortress has 384 dwarves. Aiming high?
(Could support more tbh, given the piglets and such.)

*looks at the 30x30 square in dirt and stone*

Have you considered digcircle?

Though it seems kinda offset from main staircase...
I am using DFHack wizardry which causes food & drink to decay and eventually poof away; no more easy-mode farming.  I'm actually planning on creating a greenhouse for surface plants to supplement my production.  And yes, I've heard rumours about this mysterious formation called 'not a aquare' :P  I will be using that for more advanced industries, but wanted a square for the columns (and eventual pathing once the great hall is hollow).

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:08:14 am »

I am using DFHack wizardry which causes food & drink to decay and eventually poof away; no more easy-mode farming.You know, I gotta say, speaking
You know, I gotta say, speaking as someone who occasionally grows my own food, that's pretty unrealistic. Most plant products (and of course cheese) are easy to preserve without refrigeration. And as for alcohol, well, you know they age that for years in cellars, right? :P Now, maybe you're not in it for the realism, and it doesn't bother me how you play, but I just want to express that that's right up there with those mods that make pitchblende melt your face off on the "reality is unrealistic" scale.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 02:25:09 pm »

Ah, a mod. Well, I hope it is more than just needing a larger plot and more growers/potash makers; I haven't looked into if anybody has actually implemented dwarf & soil mineral content tracking for instance, though what I know suggests a semblance might be possible with on-the-fly growdur and dwarf focus modding.

Aesthetically, I consider rampways more beautiful, but a 3x3 block of stairs is so much easier to designate.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 06:07:16 pm »

Nothing to do with realism, just the challenge factor.  In a mere two years, I can easily amass over 1,000 food & booze; provisions enough to last a decade, which just isn't fun at my level.  This mod requires a dedicated farming workforce and at least 1 group of food-animal to ensure my Dwarves are drunk and well fed.  Also, more careful consideration of hazards when I order a plant gathering expedition, as a skilled Farmer/Herbalist is now far more valuable.
Ah, a mod. Well, I hope it is more than just needing a larger plot and more growers/potash makers; I haven't looked into if anybody has actually implemented dwarf & soil mineral content tracking for instance, though what I know suggests a semblance might be possible with on-the-fly growdur and dwarf focus modding.

Aesthetically, I consider rampways more beautiful, but a 3x3 block of stairs is so much easier to designate.
That is basically it.  All farming mods right now are some combination of smaller yields and longer growing times, both of which can be overcome through brute quantity of Farmer Dorfs.  Decaying food will keep me on my toes, even when I write a Work Order, and helps with FPS.  I am also fond of ramps; was planning to make one for the Tavern & Library.  I took an extra step (haaww) with my stairs; a macro which digs a spiral, so as to reduce death by plummeting.

(Dig, X-Stair, Wall)
D X X       X X X          X X D
D W X      X W X         X W D   
D X X       D D D         X X D

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 09:19:53 am »

This looks pretty cool. PTW.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 05:02:35 pm »

Normally, I'd be content with once a week.  For now however, both my FPS and time remain abundant, so please enjoy Chapter 2 :)

Anvilmastered!  Home of the elusive volcano-reindeer.  Don't eat that yellow snow! :D

Because it is actually poisonous sulfur and ash, partially solidified in the frigid air :(

Year 2 continues much the same as year 1; a veritable wonderland of valuable but useless gemstone, struggling to make enough food, and equally useless but useless weather.  In case anybody is wondering what life is like in Anvilmastered

It's like that.  I noticed that one of the Miners has curled up to sleep with a barrel of wine, and I don't mean in a cutesy way, he is actually sleeping in the food stockpile.

D'aww, little drunken angel

On the plus side, this means I don't have nearly as many married Dorfs sharing a bedroom as I expected, which means fewer children.  The downside is I must divert my Miners & Masons to building another bedroom wing much sooner than I had planned.  While that is going on, a Weregecko arrives on the scene.  I have not yet built any advanced scouting, so the evil thing is upon me before I can react.  The Weregecko picks a fight with somebody's pet Cavy that was hanging out with reindeer.  This stalling was not enough though, and it shredded a migrant farmer before changing back into a Fire Imp, of all things.  I quickly assemble a coffin and shove it into a corner of the mountain near the reindeer pen.  I'll move him to the crypts, once I have built them.

In light of this incursion, I order the peasants to work on fortifying our most precious resource

I love watching Dwarves swarm onto a project, like a hive of insects

Expansion continues, and as the last of the stray boulders gets moved to the Craftdwarf area, my number of idle Peasants skyrockets.  The early years of a Fortress have become weird for me; I'm efficient enough that all the menial labor is done well before I transition to special projects, so I end up with half the Fort being idle for several years until the infrastructure is in place.

My train of thought is broken by the announcement that an immigrant carpenter has completed his artifact.  It is decorated with hanging wood, and studded with wood.

Guess who just volunteered for militia duty?

This does make me realize that I can't simply wait for enough skilled migrants to find their way here, not in these conditions.  I'm gonna have to train a few newbies from scratch.  This goes as well as you'd expect.

::)

Quite a few of the migrants are actually really good Miners, and even brought their own gear, which is a nice change of pace.

I reassign the labors, and now have 7 dedicated Miners.  With that much Dorf power, it's time to start working my way towards the volcano.  As I begin, the caravan arrives to the south.  Naturally, they climb up and over the peaks, probably so they can brag about their dangerous travels.

So there I was, scaling a mountain for no reason...

I noticed a Finished Goods Bin as being rather valuable, which is odd since I haven't actually produced anything besides furniture and reindeer.  I mark it for trade, and investigate.

Waste not, want not

Yes, that is a bin full of the bloody, shredded, ash-snow covered garments of that one farmer.  Even for Dwarves, that's cold man :(  To close out the year, a fanciful woodland critter comes bounding over the hills to investigate all the noise.

Neat

It spends the next 4 pages getting smashed to pieces by the caravan guards :'(  As I watch them leave, I notice a commotion at ground level.  Turns out, I never set a meeting area, so idle Dwarves have been gathering at the wagon; in the freezing, fanciful-critter infested wonderland that I call 'West'.

Wagon party!

Next time on Anvilmastered; a new Dining Hall, edging closer to the lava, and debating the point at which it turns back into magma.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:05:36 pm by Immortal-D »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 10:13:52 pm »

Images aren't working mate, you have to get the direct image link.

Speaking of non-working images, restorebrokenConstructivoryimagesturn2plez. (or just send them all to me, I plan to compile the whole thread)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 10:34:28 pm »

Images aren't working mate, you have to get the direct image link.

Speaking of non-working images, restorebrokenConstructivoryimagesturn2plez. (or just send them all to me, I plan to compile the whole thread)
Well crap.  When I use 'copy link', it doesn't work as a preview, because the link goes to the hosting site and not the picture.  Apparently, copying the source link doesn't work either (although the pictures show for me).  Dropbox used to be cool :(  That is also where I had my Constructivory pics, I didn't even realize those were gone.  Nobody tells me these things :-\  Right then, looks like I've got some work to do.

Edit: Chapter should be fixed, gonna take some time to figure out what all happened to my Constructivory pictures.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:48:39 pm by Immortal-D »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 01:23:19 pm »

If air poisoning was in the game, it'd be bad to live on that mountain. Nonetheless, mountains have lot of birds.

"equally useless but useless weather. "

Um?

warpstone, tears of armok, portabella spawn...what mods are you running?

If you have half the fort idling, food proction shouldn't be a challenge no longer =)

Artifact furniture and legendary carpenter? Double nice! ...Wait, where are you taking the legend? There's plenty of trees outside!

mithril battle pick...Seems like a military weapon.

I bet the peaks are most direct way to travel if you ignore z-levels, as ramps do.

Huh, that's a neat use for a bin. Place all earthly remains into 1 container, for memorializing into a tomb along with slab, statue, coffin and engraving.

Wagon party is better at socialization than 30x30 tavern, thankfully? Got to pump these babies.

As for images, you can get link and check if it shows by right-click > Copy Image Location, placing it in forum post preview, and using force refresh to reload it from site, not your cache.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 03:39:01 pm »

The mountain is fine for Dwarves, only humans have to worry about yellow snow.  I still don't advise that you eat any.  My mod list is actually fairly light; new ores & gems, more invaders, plus new gear and a few workshops.  As for my Legendary Carpenter; This is a Mountain Fortress buddy, we don't use wood here.  Everything is made of stone; beds, goblets, even the biscuits.  All stone, mostly magma-proof thanks to an abundance of Basalt.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 04:43:54 pm »

...Even the armour and weapons?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5